Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB firesticks?

drivemewilder

Right now i have 3 firesticks using 8 channels of white and 8 red. So i have 1 controller for each firestick. I would like to add another 2-4 firesticks next year but i'm contemplating using dumb strips cut into 8 sections to give me the same effect i already have, only with more color ability. Or using CCR's just cut to the height of my current firesticks. My firesticks are 10' tall and if i use dumb strips, i can cut the lengths to obtain a 10' firestick. If i use a CCR, i would probably cut it exactly in half which would be just over 8' tall and i could get 2 firesticks out of 1 ribbon. I would then buy another controller for the section that i cut off. Does anyone have any pro's/con's or suggestions as to how i could get more firesticks using RGB instead of the mini's i'm currently using? Where do i get the "pigtails" or "lead" or whatever you call them, that i would solder onto the cut sections? Personally i'm leaning towards the dumb strip idea...but not completely convinced yet.

Personally I was looking at doing RGB Fire sticks also at 8 feet. The issue with using a ccr is once you cut it, it voids the warranty. I would get some strips from Ray wu to use. I think thats how I am going to go.

I have to admit that I like how the strings of lights look wrapped around the stick... I think it looks better then the strips.. you can't do as much perhaps.. but they look far better.. IMHO of course.

I have to admit that I like how the strings of lights look wrapped around the stick... I think it looks better then the strips.. you can't do as much perhaps.. but they look far better.. IMHO of course.

Agreed on those and arches. IMHO they look better fully wrapped with loads of lights.

Consider the Mega Matrix from Holidaycoro.com

Or the vertical columns here:

Or slide a white dryer vent tube over your firestick and your pixels:

Or use a couple of candles end-to-end from Holidaycoro: http://www.holidaycoro.com/RGB-Coro-Candle-p/421.htm

Cost wise, pex shark bite tubing with pixels in them is what I am doing.

$18 per string of 2811 pixels

$25 for 50ft of shark bite tub (home depot)

$70 for the controller ECG-P2 to control 8 universes for up to 24 firesticks on one controller 50 pixels per string = 150 channels per stick

$20 power supply

I used that same setup this year for my arches and they look great........

20121111070832.jpg

Pixel string drill through back side of pex.........

39513010100673561634211.jpg

• Like 1

Couldn't you wrap the pole with RGB if that's the look you like?

I guess if you're wealthy you can. I'm still using lights I paid less than a dollar per strand for almost six years ago. This hobby of mine will end when I have to talk myself into believing over $10 per strand is a good deal. Luckily I still have 50,000 or so spare incans so I'll be around a while longer. ;)

I hear all that Jeff!!! But i don't think you have to be wealthy to wrap the pole with dumb strips. I bought 16.5' dumb strips for $20 each, which comes out to pennies per color! You don't have to wrap each section of the pole very tightly. If you are using 8 channels/stick like i am, each section of dumb strip would be 2' long. That's 2-3 wraps/section depending on pole diameter, and i think that's plenty of light in each section.

No, definately not Jim! And i don't know if 2-3 wraps per 24" would look good or not. Only thinking out loud at this point. I certainly think that it's better to run the strips vertically rather than wrap. An 8 channel firestick would require 2 DC boards+2 power supplies+2 enclosures+pigtails and wire. Each board is $99, just the board. Is that correct so far? Each DC board is only good for 5 light strips.

Show videos are in this thread.................. http://forums.lighto...-everywhere-lol

As far as a write up goes I will try to get one together after the first of the year. In a nut shell though just take one of the arches, stand it up and zip tie it to a pole.