Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights on Thunderbird - Part 2

ScottyMo

I am extremly impressed. I know this is an odd request and I know not every one would want to do this, but could you do a day time walk through of what controllers you use? And show how you have things hooked up?

I am extremly impressed. I know this is an odd request and I know not every one would want to do this, but could you do a day time walk through of what controllers you use? And show how you have things hooked up?

eeek, he discussed it in his first post... here is a link

http://forums.lighto...es/#entry213704

Great work Scotty! Bet the programming was a bit odd.. kind of inverted. You'd be turning the lights OFF when you make the face shapes.

I'm curious how you mounted the stirips to the house? Are they sections of dumb rgb strips, or are they more like the cosmic color ribbons?

Edited by boborino

Right, I understand the faces, but what I don't understand is how the led strips on the house communicate, how they are installed, what the controllers look like for them and how they are intergrated. I mean, like I said, if you can do it, great, if not, more research for me!

What I want to know is, what are the bright white lights. I'm assuming a CCR or a smart strip of some sort. If that's one of those, I know people say they're extremely bright, but that's insane bright. I went with CCPs for my Superstar tree, but I may have to look into these a little more for next year. Great job on your show. Looking forward to Christmas too, if you do one.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I'm curious how you mounted the stirips to the house? Are they sections of dumb rgb strips, or are they more like the cosmic color ribbons?

What I want to know is, what are the bright white lights. I'm assuming a CCR or a smart strip of some sort. If that's one of those, I know people say they're extremely bright, but that's insane bright. I went with CCPs for my Superstar tree, but I may have to look into these a little more for next year. Great job on your show. Looking forward to Christmas too, if you do one.

The RGB strips are all dumbs strips. I did not use any CCR or smart strips.

The bright white lights also are not CCR or smart strips. They are something I made using Piranha leds.

I'll try to put together and post a behind the scenes looks at them.

ScottyMo

I apologize. I thought I had taken pictures of the light bars before I installed them. Must have forgot.

I took some pictures of them on the house. They should give you the idea.

I started by building a wooden frame. 1x6 back with 1x2 sides. Each unit is 8 feet long. I then fastened the modules every 1.5 inches. Giving me a total of 8 modules per foot. Each 1 foot section of 8 modules is wired together occupying 1 channel. There is a total of 46 feet across the front of the house. Giving a total of 1840 leds. (5 leds per module)

The front covers are simply made from translucent coroplast

Here are the modules inside the light bars…

008.JPG

Here is what the house looks like during the day…

004.JPG

Closer look of the light bar…

001.JPG

Side view close up…

006.JPG

ScottyMo

Edited by ScottyMo

• 2 years later...

Your setup is Niiiiiice!! 

Thanks for posting those photos.  I'm trying to figure out how you got the bright bright lights,  not the light bars.... You mentioned Piranha leds..... ?

Can you elaborate, those are amazing bright!

Thank you,

Michael