Light-O-Rama Forums

Help With Fire Sticks or Bellagio poles?

MCas4380

Ok I know I have seen some info on my idea before so I know it’s not original just can’t remember where. I want to build Fire Pole or Bellagio poles this year. I know many of you alraedy have this so i was hoping you could look over my idea. My plan is to use 4” Corrugated Pipe in a 17” sleeve method 7 total for around 10’ poles (I wanted them to have look like my porch Poles). I am also going to use 3”to 2” reducers on the top and bottom Sections and 3” couplers in between the other sections to hold it together and create an easy Breakdown and storage. I’m going to use 1-3/8-in x 10’ 6” 18-Gauge Galvanized Steel Top Rail for my support pole. I figure this will give me a few inches out each end to keep it off the ground and an attachment point on the top. I also plan on using Rebar in the ground to hold this up. I’m was considering using 100ct mini Incans per section

Now since all of you have more experience than I do what do you think I’m I forgetting something? I’m I going to run into any problems with build idea? Is one strand of mini’s enough light (IUO)? What would you change? Any suggestions to lower cost? How did you build your Poles and Why?

Thanks for any suggestions

Edited by MCas4380

I always work with a budget (cheap) in mind. I wrapped 3/4 thin wall PVC, each sleeve was 15 inches long. I used either 100 count minis or 60 count LED's. I slid the sleeves over 1/2 inch electrical conduit. The conduit was 10 foot long. I drove that into the ground about a foot deep. This worked well for me. The poles would sway a small amount in the wind, but they help up perfectly well.

I used 1 1/4" PVC and a 5 way PVC hub from http://www.christmaslightshow.com/5-way-cross-1-1-4.html On the hub, I made 4 arms to anchor with rebar. I then wrapped a 12 inch piece of 2" pvc, for the sleeves with 120 LEDs from Big Lots. Eight channels per stick. The 8th channel is a 18" wire frame star http://www.christmaslightshow.com/18-star-wire-frame.html and am in the process of wrapping these 2 stars with 60 LEDs from Big Lots. I have about $220 in both poles, including lights, wiring, plugs and PVC and fittings. If you use incans, you can shave about $125-$150 from that. I have $168 in lights alone.

With the stars, mine are about 9 ft high.

There's you another idea.

Good luck,

Ron

Ron/ Doug do you have any Pictures? Also Ron is your 1 1/4 PVC rigid enough to hold the Pole upright or do you guy wire it?

They just stand. Worst case was if I didnt pound the conduit in straight I used a piece of string and a tent stake to strighten up the pole.

My plan is on the 4 arms at the bottom, is to hammer re-bar and them stand on their own. I don't expect them to fall over, but the swaying in the wind, I am a little worried about. May have to guy wire them.

Anyway, there are pics on my Facebook page here, www.facebook.com/BoydFamilyChristmasLightShow?ref=hl

I hammered several 18" pieces of 2" sched40 pvc into the ground to make a hole for the 1" support pipes to slide into. I spread these across the yard.. wrap a bunch of 1 1/2" sleeves with your lights, slide them over the support pipe. You can go bigger or smaller, tho anything smaller than 3/4' support pipe will tend to sway in the breeze without any guying (fishing line).

After the season is over, I placed 2" plugs over the pipe in the ground to keep it from filling up with anything. The 2" is flush with the ground and the plugs dont stick up above the ground either. Just take a weedwacker to the area occasionally to keep the spot clear, or mark it somehow, or else the lawn will cover it over..

Edited by TJ Hvasta

I made ours with 2" pvc. I took a 12" piece of pvc and put it in concrete below grade with a clean out cap. The poles are 10ft with a threaded connector at the end of the poles. Each pole has 200 lights per channel except the last channel which has 100 lights,8 channels per pole. When we start set up,I just unscrew the clean out,and screw it into the clean out.

SPaschall