Light-O-Rama Forums

Mass change of intensity

lleibeck

Looking for a fast way to lower the intensity of all channels on four controllers.

I know I can go into each sequence and adjust but am hoping there is more of a global way.

I tried the hardware utility, but it only works while I am in the utility, once I go to the sequence it's back to full.

Thanks,

Lee

You can set a min and max intensity for your controllers.

With a controller hooked up, open the hardware utility.

Do a 'refresh' and find your controllers.

Click on 'configure' on this page you can set the min and max intensity for this one controller.

Hi,

After I change the setting, I assume I need to click on the Update Unit button???

When I do, I get the following message, Unit did not respond to option settings, retry command.

I can control the unit via the test screen, so I know the software has found the unit.

I also noticed that the max intensity pull down only goes to 86%, it does allow you to type a lower number and then displays a warning msg about being possibly too low.

But eve if I try for the 86% I get the error message form above.

L

I am able to control the intensity through the hardware utility, I can see the lights with the lower intensity.

Just can not save the settings.

Need to get this resolved, LED's are a bit too bright.

L

lleibeck wrote:

I am able to control the intensity through the hardware utility, I can see the lights with the lower intensity.

Just can not save the settings.

Need to get this resolved, LED's are a bit too bright.

L

I don't know if you have had this answered or if it is still a problem but in case it is ....

I don't have the software in front of me but in the hardware utility refresh your network, and then select each controller individually .... along the bottom if I remember correctly there is a configuration button. It is within there that you can change the max intensity and save it.

The main screen is for testing !

Good luck !

Dave

Here is the way to do it.

Just lowered all my intensities to 75 this way.

Download [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]Notepad++ from this website. http://[highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]notepad-plus-plus.org/download

This is a great program to make massive changes to XML files.

1. Open the LMS file (it is a XML type file)

2. Once open the file you want to change there are 3 settings that need to be changed. Do not try to type the text strings shorter.

2a. Click on SEARCH>REPLACE and copy and paste the following text string from the LMS file into the FIND box. " intensity="100"/> This changes the ON intensity setting.

2b. Now copy the same into the REPLACE WITH box but change the 100 to 75. Make sure the text string formats look identical except for the number.

2c. Now click the REPLACE ALL button.

3. Do step 2 again but use: " startIntensity="100" and change the 100 to 75 in the replace window. Click the REPLACE ALL button again. This changes the Fade Down setting.

4. Do step 2 again but use: " endIntensity="100"/> and change the 100 to 75. in the replace window. Click the REPLACE ALL button again. This changes the Fade Up maximum setting.

5. Now save the changed file to another name so the original remains the same until you know the modified sequence is working .Make sure you type the LMS extension when you do the save.

6. Open the new LMS file in S2 (there should be no errors if you did everything correctly) and you should see all maximum intensities are now 75%.

Take you time and you will be surprised what this program can do for you in changing things in your files.

It will also remember your FIND and REPLACE information. This make doing the other LMS files easier.

ok .... stupid question here.

What is meant by minimum intensity .... I assumed that would be ZERO so the lights go off ..... or am I understanding this wrong !?

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

What is meant by minimum intensity .... I assumed that would be ZERO so the lights go off ..... or am I understanding this wrong !?

Many LED strings are completely off at about 10% intensity. If you set the controller's minimum intensity at 10%, then a fade down to 0 is output as a fade down to 10%.

I prefer to make those kinds of adjustments in the sequences themselves.
  • Like 1

Steven wrote:

RaceMedic wrote:

Many LED strings are completely off at about 10% intensity. If you set the controller's minimum intensity at 10%, then a fade down to 0 is output as a fade down to 10%.

I prefer to make those kinds of adjustments in the sequences themselves.

I have many LED's strings from vendors on these forums, Almost all of them will remain on even at 1% intensity. Using that in one of my sequences to give the display a glow effect.

Check your LED's in a dark room to see if they are on at 1%.

The only way to reduce the intensities now in mass is in the sequence.

See above posts how to do it.

lleibeck wrote:

Thank you, I still did need the answer.

I will try this tomorrow as the show is running now.

Lee

• 11 months later...

Dennis,

It appears the change will change all. I am just looking for a way to lower the intesnity on two controllers.

I have built a 10' tree using 32 channels of LEDS that the neighbor is not too happy about.

I tried again this year to use the hardware utility. configure to reduce the intensity but the value does not take, even after clicking on the button to update controller.

Thank you,

Lee

• 1 year later...

Anyone ever come up with a solution to this?  I also tried to set the max intensity on the controller to 86%.  Once i set it, press update.  But when i go back in to look, it shows 100% again.
I tried this on both Gen2 and Gen3 controllers, 9 controllers in all.  It doesn't take on any of them, even though it says accepted.

Is this a glitch in the HU that needs to be fixed?

i don't understand why that function is there, if it doesn't work.

BTW...

I used google search to find this, because the forum search couldn't find anything.

Edited by David Rise

Anyone ever come up with a solution to this?  I also tried to set the max intensity on the controller to 86%.  Once i set it, press update.  But when i go back in to look, it shows 100% again.

I tried this on both Gen2 and Gen3 controllers, 9 controllers in all.  It doesn't take on any of them, even though it says accepted.

Is this a glitch in the HU that needs to be fixed?

i don't understand why that function is there, if it doesn't work.

BTW...

I used google search to find this, because the forum search couldn't find anything.

You might not see much difference at 86%, try some much lower max intensity, something you can see a difference, say 30%. You can go change it back when done.

• 10 months later...

Hard to believe that LOR (or anyone else for the matter) hasn't written a simple program that goes off and finds any RGB channels and if they are all 100% intensity, then reset them to a warm white as SuperStar does. 

It would be nice if LOR was able to apply a "over-lay" command to whole selected areas, such as an "Intensity" command or a "Toggle" function where neither would overwrite the existing commands such as fades and so on, just apply the selected effect. I understand software a lot so even though it sounds easy to do, there are complications within the code to make it happen. Give them time and they'll figure it out.

It would be nice if LOR was able to apply a "over-lay" command to whole selected areas, such as an "Intensity" command or a "Toggle" function where neither would overwrite the existing commands such as fades and so on, just apply the selected effect. I understand software a lot so even though it sounds easy to do, there are complications within the code to make it happen. Give them time and they'll figure it out.

Did you try pasting with the "Foreground Effects" selected? For example, I have a section where the lights are 100% on. I select the Foreground Effects button, then I select the Set Intensity Button (set to 50% lets say). Then I highlight the area I want changed to 50%. With the Foreground Effects selected only the cells where the lights are ON get changed. The cells that are off remain off.

Dennis's answer in post #6 is the way I do it - although I am generally more selective than using replace all.  I will make the following couple suggestions about manually editing the xml files however.  First is make very certain that you have a backup of the file so if you mess it up, you can go back to a working version.  Save and TEST regularly if you are making several changes.

There are definitely things that can be changed easier manually than doing it the Sequence Editor, but you need to understand what you are trying to do, and the steps needed to accomplish the changes.

The last suggestion is that I strongly suggest reading through a simple sequence to get a fairly good idea what the file format looks like.  I would start by creating a simple sequence that only has a couple channels so you are not overwhelmed.  Once you have it sorted out, add a few RGB channels and look at the file to see how that is different than a normal channel.  As you get better at reading the files you can add groups and tracks.  Take small steps.  Although the xml file may look very intimidating when you first look at one, they really are not all that complex (I will point out that I have been hand writing web pages for almost 20 years so you may consider it more complex than I do).