Light-O-Rama Forums

1st Sequence Complete

Mike Manzara

Wow, just finished my first 32 channel sequence and it only took 10 hours. Most of the time spent learning how to use the program efficiently. I chose the song "O Holy Night" by a Canadian artist by the name of Carrol Baker. One thing I did learn is that a Mega Tree should have an odd number of channels to get perfect "X" patterns when programming. Just tooting my own horn. By the way did I mention Canada won a Gold Medal in Olympic Mens Hockey

Guest Don Gillespie

Mike go easy on the gold medal it might determine who helps you out and who won't I only used the gold medal once while I was in Mexico, now that the golfing season is here my wife is a golf widow I will try to program while I am at work as long as the boss doesn't catch me ha ha ha I am the boss, good job on getting your first program done keep on programing.

D&G Gillespie wrote:

now that the golfing season is here my wife is a golf widow

hmmmm...I'm sure there is a Tiger Woods joke in there somewhere....

Mike Manzara wrote:

One thing I did learn is that a Mega Tree should have an odd number of channels to get perfect "X" patterns when programming.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, or maybe I'm doing it wrong... but even though I live in a second-rate hockey country, I don't seem to have much trouble dividing up a twelve segment yard element - like a mega tree or pinwheel spinner - into equal segments and then crossing them over each other in the middle. Am I missing something?

No . What I was getting at was it is easier when programming to have an odd number of segments so the "X" is proportional. With an even number you will get a double in the center. I was just having some fun with the hockey thing. They were the only games I'll watch all year.

Wow, just finished my first 32 channel sequence and it only took 10 hours. Most of the time spent learning how to use the program efficiently. I chose the song "O Holy Night" by a Canadian artist by the name of Carrol Baker. One thing I did learn is that a Mega Tree should have an odd number of channels to get perfect "X" patterns when programming. Just tooting my own horn.

Ok, so you got the channel grid looking good.......but that's not really the point of sequencing, is it? How does it look in the display? How many people will see the channel grid for your display? :? How does it look in your visualizer?

I use an 8 segment mega tree; my thinking there is that many songs are based on a 4-beat (4 quarter timing) and I can animate the tree based on timing of the song. I'll admit, though, it's only my second year, and I'm still a newbie.

My Mega tree has 10 segments, with each segment having 12 "strings" of lights...and each string has two colors (Red/Blue, Green/Yellow, Red/Blue, Green/Yellow, etc).

So a total of 24 strings of lights in each segment (6 of each color) with each string 2" apart at the base.

I did not worry about it being odd or even as every song is different. But as someone else suggested to me, where I want to use my 10 segments equally (or any number equally), you just redo your timing within the beats. So it doesn't matter if you have an odd or even amount of segments. Within any particular "beat" you can sub-divide it by 5 or 25 cells (segments)...

Terry Hurrle wrote:

I stick to Curling. Much easier to take a nap and still know what is going on.

Womens curling...harder, harder, faster, to the left, harder, left, hharder, faster. You only need to listen to enjoy it.

Mike Arnott wrote:

Terry Hurrle wrote:
Womens curling...harder, harder, faster, to the left, harder, left, harder, faster.

You only need to listen to enjoy it.

hmmmm...the more I listen, the less I enjoy it. :P

Mike Arnott wrote:

Womens curling...harder, harder, faster, to the left, harder, left, hharder, faster. You only need to listen to enjoy it.

I see this thread going south faster than a flock of geese in November... Nevertheless, the difference of whether those commands are enjoyable to listen to, as I see it anyway, is whether you're a participant or a spectator and whether the one giving those commands is clothed...

George Simmons wrote:

I see this thread going south faster than a flock of geese in November...

I thought we were already "south"...hence all the directions... :P

Mike Arnott wrote:

. . . harder, harder, faster, to the left, harder, left, hharder, faster. You only need to listen to enjoy it.

Look, in the words of comedian Tom Parks, "Harder and faster I can do. If she ever says 'Deeper', she'd better be talking philosophy . . ."

Cray

Mike Arnott wrote:

Terry Hurrle wrote:

I must have not heard correctly. I could have sworn it was -
"Hurry! Hard! Hurry! Hard! Hurry! Hard!..." :shock:

(If you are looking for a chuckle type hurry, hard and curling into Google.)

(If you are looking for a chuckle type hurry, hard and curling into Google.)

are you suggesting that LOR needs a similar sponsor??

because I hear the same words from my wife while hanging lights...

"Honey, hanging those lights standing on the ladder looks hard..."

"You should hurry and go faster, before it starts snowing..."

"Those lights need to go a little to the left and deeper into the bush..."

hmmm...no wonder I like putting up Christmas Lights so much!!!!

Geeze, I didn't think that completing my first sequence would create a dialogue that would digress to this point. I cna't wait to see the comments when I complete sequence 2.

Mike Manzara wrote:

I can't wait to see the comments when I complete sequence 2.

NEITHER CAN WE...HAVE YOU STARTED IT YET???

Just started this afternoon. Had some minor surgery so I am laid up for a few days which gives me plenty of time to be creative. The next one is TSO so it will be more difficult than the last one.

Mike Manzara wrote:

The next one is TSO so it will be more difficult than the last one.

I find the ones with a very distinct beat and obvious solo instruments are a little easier...plus this is your second one.

You should be able to crank it out is less than 24 total man hours!!! :shock:

Which TSO one?

I know you are probably one of those that want all your songs to be your own creation (like me) but sometimes it goes a little faster to start with someone elses, if only to get the main beat.