Light-O-Rama Forums

Epcot

friskybri

Better check your electrical. There's sparks flying out of your roof.

Looks great......and eerily familiar.

Bri

So first off I assume Il. allows fireworks to be shot off year round?

Do you run this sequence one a night and have to reload during the day or was this a "special" showing?

Very cool!

friskybri wrote:

Ok, I first want to thank Brian Mitchell for helping me with this sequence. The Marty fan, arches and mini tree sequence was all him. I had a special Disney night.

http://www.vimeo.com/10491240

How does LOR do the fireworks?

huskernut wrote:

So first off I assume Il. allows fireworks to be shot off year round?

Do you run this sequence one a night and have to reload during the day or was this a "special" showing?

Very cool!

LOL NO in IL its illigal for fireworks. I just live far enough out of town so they don't bother messing with us. We are the red headed step childeren of peoria county. No one wants our neighborhood. This was a one night show, fireworks with epcot and fantasmic. I used fantasmic for my entry to the contest because I didn't want to use brian Mitchells work as my mine. That would just be wrong. As far as the fireworks and LOR. I buy my mortar tubes and fuses from http://www.pyrodirect.com The fireworks are from Indiana. All consumer fireworks will work in the 1.91" tubes. I link the entire show with fuses. I light it at the main fuse at the correct time and let it all run its cource. They have 25sec per foot, 10 sec and .4 sec. It works well. I might start testing on how to use LOR. Some say it wont work but I think there is always a way to make it work. I just need one electronic igniton to test. I will have to purchase one when I buy 100 more tubes.

bisquit476 wrote:

Wow, that is awesome!

"Awesome" sums it up pretty good. Excellent song to work with. Great show!

• 1 month later...

I use the pyromate P45 for my fireworks show http://www.pyromate.com/nighthawk.htm. This system is what we use for our 4th of July show.

A simpler less expensive option that I think could be hooked up to a DMX system would be the Pyromate xp 45 manual firing system http://www.pyromate.com/p-45.htm. It would take some research but I think you could hookup a 24 volt DC system and fire it from the LOR program. If you have the budget there are more elaborate systems out there with software to work with the P45 system that have the option of a wireless radio controlled firing system with a radio range of up to 1 mile.

The mortars would have to have a electric match set to each one or else you can tie multiple shots together to one electric match. Each electric match runs about $3 each so if you are doing a 20,000 shot show like we use for our 4th of July show it cuts your electric match cost down to tie multiple shots together.

It is a fair amount of work to choreograph the fireworks to music but it is sure a lot of fun to watch.

Awesome Job!

For you Minnesota (and surrounding states) folks, the May mini in Brooten, MN is being hosted by a guy who owns a fireworks manufacturing facility. Maybe if enough people ask nicely, he might be persuaded to put on a private little display for us.

So can this guy get us a good discount on fireworks to. Might be well worth the drive for a truck load of fireworks at a good enough discount. :D

I don't want to speak for Garry, but I believe the fireworks his company makes aren't legal for civilians to posess in ANY state - for professional displays only.

It all depends on where you live. In New Mexico you can legally purchase 3 inch mortar (fireworks) with the tube launchers and shoot them off yourself.

In Utah where I live it is not legal for citizens to shoot any fireworks that can go over a height of 15 feet.

As a licensed pyro tech I can build any type of firework and use it. I just am not allowed to store it, I have to use it within 24 hours of its manufacture. There are so many rules and regulations about storing high powered motors (fireworks) that it just is not worth trying to get setup to store them. When I do a fireworks show like the forth of July I have to order the fireworks from a manufacture and have them stored in a super secret bomb proof location.

While I was setting up a show one year I had some teenagers steal one of the three inch mortar from one of the tubes I had setup. What these kids did not understand was that without a proper firing tube these mortar are a bomb that will kill them when it goes off if they are anywhere near it when it goes off. I had to have the cops go looking for the kids and find them before they blew themselves up which they did manage to find them and get the mortars back.

When I am shooting fireworks for a show I am in fire gear and specialized Personal Protective Equipment and there are a number of safety requirements that I have to have in order to have a live firing grounds area. The bigger the mortar the bigger the safety grounds become. For every inch in size of mortars I have to have a 150 foot safety zone. When I fire off 8 inch mortar I have to have over 1200 feet of separation from the crowds to fire off the mortar. My safety zone requirements often limits the size of the mortar I can use for a show. And just the way things are going in the world of safety, big fireworks like 21 inch mortar are now just becoming a distant memory. (To fire a 21 inch mortars required a 3150 foot safety zone.) Everything is now going to small diameter fireworks due to shipping and explosives regulations.

• 1 month later...

toddmoon wrote:

I use the pyromate P45 for my fireworks show http://www.pyromate.com/nighthawk.htm. This system is what we use for our 4th of July show.

I use "Pyrodigital" when I fire a show. http://www.infinityvisions.com/pd_FC.htm

To all: Please be safe and leave it to the pro's.

Steve

I would sure like to. My wife has started yet another business and has me doing all of her grunt work for free. My summer is pretty much tied up this year. I do not know if I will even get to drive our fire truck in our locale parade this year.

I will probably have to help with promoting her new business this year during the parade instead of driving in it squirting everyone with water and having water fights with the locals.

I am hoping that I can talk her into throwing candy with little tag ads from the fire truck instead of being tied to her new store.

I guess she puts up with my all of my likes so now this is payback time for me.

I was going to abuse you if you came my way as I'm not a PGI member. The shirts the members have access to are more unique than most just sold to the public so I was going to hit you up to get a couple for me. Plus the chance to hook up with another lighting enthusiast always is a good thing. A couple of us where going to get memberships to PGI, not that they are expensive, so we could get on the grounds and learn a little more on how things work but forgot about it. You have to get them the year before it is in your area and we just forgot about it. And they won't sell them to you the same year. At least they are here like every 4 years.

Lenny

Lenny,

You can still sign up to be a member of the PGII and then sign up to attend the PGII convention in Appleton WI this year.

Here is their web site with all of the information: http://www.pgi.org/

I am a PGII member an plan on attending the PGI convention this year.

There are a lot of PGI members and fireworks people that belong to LOR or use it, me included.

I was the one that had the Minnesota Mini a few weeks ago.

No, I did not do fireworks that day of the Mini, but the week before we did a 1 hour long fireworks show and open house.

This is our busiest time of the year for fireworks so I have to get back to work.

Hope to see you all at the PGII convention!

Garry Hanson

Note: We use special made firing systems to fire fireworks as the LOR system was NEVER setup to do that!!