Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestions for Using Strobes

jim6918

BrianC wrote:

Posted this in the CCR section but here is another strobe option we'll be using this year....I'm really happy with they way this effect turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrGV_yEdS8

I gave the CCR a go at 0.03 seconds and it looks fantastic maybe not as bright as a strobe but a great extra use for the CCR and very effective as an alternative option

As you increased the speed above .05 did you notice some misfires starting where the color would show red or off white? That might go away with the hardware update but haven't tried it yet.

BrianC wrote:

As you increased the speed above .05 did you notice some misfires starting where the color would show red or off white? That might go away with the hardware update but haven't tried it yet.

running 1 CCR at 0.03 works great i havent noticed any misfires. I did notice it firing red & blue on 2 channels but I worked that out to be 2 channels had moved and were mixed with each other. When I did go to 0.01 seconds thats when i saw the misfires and even then the effect wasnt long enough to look good, so tried 0.03 seconds and it looks great. I will definetly be useing this effect amongst other great effects that this thing does for this years show

I used my strobes in 3 positions this last year, 2 in the star on the tree - 12 in the mega tree - one on top of each vertical pipe (arch). And I also switched from a Z-Tree to conventional mega tree (loved my Z-Tree, but storage and assembly was an issue).

What I found out was the strobes got lost more in the conventional mega tree, and were totally lost on top of the pipes. The Z-Tree allowed the strobes to be placed more on a dark background and when they fired they would really POP! Not blinding at all but really stood out.

The other reason my strobes were not as bright this year is I added more colored flood lights to the front of the house, which brought the whole intensity of the light level up so your eyes were not shocked by the strobes. I also have a street light directly across from my display. That's one of those - "Oh Well" - things.

The strobes in the star was a nice effect and the 2 of them together looked good enough to say - next year do 3. On the pipes - next year drop that idea. Next year the tree will have twice the number of strobes - and they only fire at high points, but personally I don't mind blinding the viewer, the sensory input to the brain highlights the spot in the song and its only for less than 5 - 15 seconds at the most.

I guess my input here would be - what is your ambient light level when the strobes fire. Is your display dark in nature? With snow on the ground your strobes will give more of a twinkle effect. In the rain they may get lost. Lots of things to consider.

Here is the video the local news paper shot last year, you can see how the strobes got lost Click HERE...

Each year I learn something new - my last show was quite different from the first animated show I did 5 years prior...

Papa-LF wrote:

I used my strobes in 3 positions this last year, 2 in the star on the tree - 12 in the mega tree - one on top of each vertical pipe (arch). And I also switched from a Z-Tree to conventional mega tree (loved my Z-Tree, but storage and assembly was an issue).

What I found out was the strobes got lost more in the conventional mega tree, and were totally lost on top of the pipes. The Z-Tree allowed the strobes to be placed more on a dark background and when they fired they would really POP! Not blinding at all but really stood out.

The other reason my strobes were not as bright this year is I added more colored flood lights to the front of the house, which brought the whole intensity of the light level up so your eyes were not shocked by the strobes. I also have a street light directly across from my display. That's one of those - "Oh Well" - things.

The strobes in the star was a nice effect and the 2 of them together looked good enough to say - next year do 3. On the pipes - next year drop that idea. Next year the tree will have twice the number of strobes - and they only fire at high points, but personally I don't mind blinding the viewer, the sensory input to the brain highlights the spot in the song and its only for less than 5 - 15 seconds at the most.

I guess my input here would be - what is your ambient light level when the strobes fire. Is your display dark in nature? With snow on the ground your strobes will give more of a twinkle effect. In the rain they may get lost. Lots of things to consider.

Here is the video the local news paper shot last year, you can see how the strobes got lost Click HERE...

Each year I learn something new - my last show was quite different from the first animated show I did 5 years prior...

Whats the difference between a conventional mega tree and a z- tree? I have never heard of a z tree?

Papa-LF wrote:

I also have a street light directly across from my display. That's one of those - "Oh Well" - things.

Ya know . . . a well-placed BB could nix the problem of the street light. :(

A more-involved, but perhaps more legal, approach would be to contact the city and see if they would be willing to remove the bulb from that light during the period that your display is up. I've heard some talk of success with this by others.

Cray

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Whats the difference between a conventional mega tree and a z- tree? I have never heard of a z tree?

The tree in this video is a good example of a Ztree.

Tim Herberger wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I think the video may be a bad example. But I could be wrong. To me it looks like the same thing as a mega tree, in the dark? Whats the physical differences?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Tim Herberger wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I think the video may be a bad example. But I could be wrong. To me it looks like the same thing as a mega tree, in the dark? Whats the physical differences?

OH YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP..

Well, that video is a PERFECT example of a Z-Tree, in fact that web site is Mike Ziemkowski's site - the creator of the Z-Tree.

Z-Tree vs. Conventional Mega tree - a Z-Tree is a framework (usually PVC - but not always) covered by store bought garland in the design of a TeePee type tree. The frame work originally was designed in 4 sections and is basically hollow in the middle. My Z-Tree was large enough to hold an 8 foot step ladder on the inside which allowed me to plug in all the cords to all the different strings of bulbs which were wrapped on the outside of the garland. The garland was fluffed and to many the tree looks fairly real (especially at night). View my 2007 video Here.. You could not see the inside of the tree as the garland was wrapped fairly dense.

Conventional mega tree is a pole in the ground with lights attached to the top and anchored to either the ground or a ring just above the ground, as in my 2009 video listed earlier in this thread. There are many different types (variations) of mega trees, too many to list here. My son has a 42 foot mega tree that holds more lights than my entire display. We believe it to be the tallest in Washington State.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Papa-LF wrote:
I also have a street light directly across from my display. That's one of those - "Oh Well" - things.

Ya know . . . a well-placed BB could nix the problem of the street light. :D

A more-involved, but perhaps more legal, approach would be to contact the city and see if they would be willing to remove the bulb from that light during the period that your display is up. I've heard some talk of success with this by others.

Cray

Thanks for the suggestion Cray, unfortunately I work for the Local Power Utility, and they all know my house - being the Christmas Light Guy at the office. Unfortunately removing the bulb or modifying it in any way would be against policy and could land me in the unemployment line. Like i said, its one of those things you just go "Oh Well" and move on .

And before someone asks - No, I get no special rate on my Utility Bill being an employee. Although I was one of the first guys in town to get one of the new wireless power meters. They no longer come by to read my meter. Its sent to the billing department wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.

Yup! Sounds like you're stuck with the light. Actually, I have one directly across from my house as well. I thought it would bother me, but it doesn't really detract from the show -- most of the time.

Oh well . . .

Cray

Papa-LF wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Tim Herberger wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

OH YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP..

Well, that video is a PERFECT example of a Z-Tree, in fact that web site is Mike Ziemkowski's site - the creator of the Z-Tree.

Z-Tree vs. Conventional Mega tree - a Z-Tree is a framework (usually PVC - but not always) covered by store bought garland in the design of a TeePee type tree. The frame work originally was designed in 4 sections and is basically hollow in the middle. My Z-Tree was large enough to hold an 8 foot step ladder on the inside which allowed me to plug in all the cords to all the different strings of bulbs which were wrapped on the outside of the garland. The garland was fluffed and to many the tree looks fairly real (especially at night). View my 2007 video Here.. You could not see the inside of the tree as the garland was wrapped fairly dense.

Conventional mega tree is a pole in the ground with lights attached to the top and anchored to either the ground or a ring just above the ground, as in my 2009 video listed earlier in this thread. There are many different types (variations) of mega trees, too many to list here. My son has a 42 foot mega tree that holds more lights than my entire display. We believe it to be the tallest in Washington State.

Now I understand. Knowing this now, I can not use a Z-tree. We get to much snow and ice here in upstate NY. Thanks for tell me the difference.

Papa-LF wrote:

Cray Augsburg wrote:
Papa-LF wrote:

Ya know . . . a well-placed BB could nix the problem of the street light. ;)

Cray

Thanks for the suggestion Cray, unfortunately I work for the Local Power Utility, and they all know my house - being the Christmas Light Guy at the office. Unfortunately removing the bulb or modifying it in any way would be against policy and could land me in the unemployment line. Like i said, its one of those things you just go "Oh Well" and move on .

And before someone asks - No, I get no special rate on my Utility Bill being an employee. Although I was one of the first guys in town to get one of the new wireless power meters. They no longer come by to read my meter. Its sent to the billing department wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.

Street light issue? - Running an inconspicuous 20 gauge brown wire up the backside ot the pole, which terminates with a single socket containing a C5 bulb that is powered on at the start of the show, and off at the end, which just happens to be positioned in front of the photocell of the street light, has I believe been employed by certain un-named old timers on the forums - of course no one that I would know personally!;)

Greg

Now, why didn't I think of that? That's a great idea, were somebody so inclined.

Not that I would do anything of the sort. ;)

Cray

You just need to figure out how to nonchalantly shimmy up the poll while meticulously avoiding all those splinters from the spikes the lineman wear on their shoes. Slipping and sliding down that poll could leave a few marks.:shock:

I wonder if you can just point a laser pointer at the light sensor for the lights that way your not touching any of the services property so you shouldnt get in trouble. your creating enough street light anyway whilst the show is on so I reakon no one would be the wiser. Havent tried this before but could work.

edvas69 wrote:

I wonder if you can just point a laser pointer at the light sensor... Havent tried this before but could work.

There's a thorough discussion regarding this about once a year around here I think. If you do a search (and also at PC) I think you'll find a lot of info.