Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR firmware update

ItsMeBobO

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Saw a new firmware release for the ribbon. But I have not seen what this update does?

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/CCR150D_V1-05.lhx

I downloaded the new firmware into the controllers for my 12 CCRs. The new firmware handles the channel commands faster. I have 12 CCRs and when sending alot of commands the controllers were having a hard time keeping up.

In the sequence editor you can set the port speed by doing: (Edit -> Preferences -> Network Preferences)
In the network preferences there are three settings for port speed:
"Long range medium speed"
"Average Recommended Setting"
"Short range fastest speed"

In my case, if I used "Short range fastest speed" then the CCRs would keep up with the commands, but occasionally I would have "stickies", light elements that would stay on when they should be off.

If I used "Average Recommended Setting" then I had no stickies but when lots of commands were sent, the CCR's would lag, that is the lights would slow down and not keep up with the music.

To make a long story short, with the new firmware I can use "Short range fastest speed" and have no stickies! So this firmware upgrade is important for anyone that has multiple CCR's and sends lots of commands to them.

-Brian Bruderer

How would you want a strobe effect to work? Would you want all the lights on the ribbon to quickly flash on and then off? Would you want individual lights on the ribbon to quickly flash on and then off?

BrianC wrote:

Does it have a strobe effect macro?

BrianBruderer wrote:

Would you want individual lights on the ribbon to quickly flash on and then off?

How would such a strobe effect differ from simply setting each of the 50 pixels to twinkle?

The only change in the firmware was a the fix where a command would be occasionally missed with lots of commands to multipile devices at the hightest comm speed.

We are looking at a strobe effect. The strobe effect would be different than shimmer or twinkle. A strobe has the quick flash with a fixed wait, quick flash, fixed wait....

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

We are looking at a strobe effect. The strobe effect would be different than shimmer or twinkle. A strobe has the quick flash with a fixed wait, quick flash, fixed wait....

Dan

Thanks Dan, I'm experimenting with the CCR and finding if I randomly fire one set of LED's in different sections every tenth of a second it produces somewhat of the look. (but a lot of work) excited to see what you come up with.

BrianC wrote:

Changed the timing to .05 and fired one set of LED's per segment. This looks better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrGV_yEdS8

I tried 0.03 seconds and it looks fantastic, I even tried 0.01 but this didnt trigger the lights all the time with lots of missed flashes. 0.03 seemed to work great but i wonder if it may start to miss if your doing it with 8 CCRs and 200+ channels, that may be where the firmware update might come in handy or even better a macro feature to do that, which sounds like it may be in the pipe line.

Looking forward to the next major release for the CCR firmware, I hope that the macro feature will also extend to use background colour so features like candy cane effects can be done easily as well as flowing raindbow effects. If these were implemented through the macros then it would save a lot of time and a lot of network bandwidth. I noticed that when the CCR is in standalone mode the macro mode takes up little memory space and processes without pauses. When all channels are being programmed then the download program is very large and the sequence pauses during opoeration due to the large amount of data being processed through the CCRs internal memory. So it appears that macros will help reduce the bandwidth requirements when used as long as the feature you want to do is able to be done through the use of macros. So the more programming that can be done via the macro features the better especially with multiple CCRs and channels

The CCR can be used for many different things and being used for random strobe flashes is definetly another great effect that this can do.

I really liked some of devas69 suggestions for macros, I have thought of a few myslef and the manual states that suggestions are welcome. But is there a board or email address where CCR macro suggestions (requests) can be made?

- Dave

• 1 month later...

So which would be the fastest protacol to use with multiple CCRs using all 150 channels each to program, DMX or LOR protacol. The use of multiple CCRs can be very demanding on bandwidth and when using CCRs as a matrix the faster the refresh rate the better

• The topic was locked