Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas Songs

RaceMedic

Hi Folks;

I will be doing my first LOR show in 2010 and just curious to know what people have used as far as songs go when it comes to classic christmas carols.

I will have 32 channels.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

I think that if you watch others video's, you will see that every type of song is used, not just Christmas songs. From rock to country to classic. Pretty much just about anything. I think someone even did Pink Floyd, right George?

I agree ....

So far I have:

Carol of the Bells - David Foster

Music Box Dancer

I am just looking for a clasic christmas carol that kids would recognize.

I have been watching a LOT of GREAT songs .... just seeing what people

have tried on here.

Thank-you for your reply.

Dave

Some of use non-Christmas songs for intros or wow-factors. I have used both Star Trek's DS9 and Voyager for my intros. I have been wanting to do Floyd's Time, only for the first night - another wow factor. The Muppet's intro has also been suggested.

I had a BIG hit last year with a Chipmunk song, the kids loved it. If you want, I will sent you the sequence, just PM me.

Edit: It is 32 channels

For kids to recognize, as mentioned Chipmunks Christmas Don't be Late. Other good ones are Rudolph of course, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town as well as Frosty the Snowman. And all are pretty easy to do.

Lenny

Dave,

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Two of the songs that kids liked the most in my '09 display were Witch Doctor by David Seville and the William Tell Overture. If you're looking for WOW factor, there's definitely a lot you can do with William Tell. And as Pete mentioned, don't overlook timeless clasics like Pink Floyd and even the Electric Amish. (I Want To Hoe Your Land)

As Christmas songs go, I personally look for ones that aren't exactly mainstream like Little Drummer Boy by Ringo Starr or Sleigh Ride by the Blenders or Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy by the Tractors. Keep in mind that many (if not most) people get sick of hearing Christmas carols by December 10th or so. So having some obscure and/or unexpected tunes in your display keeps people's interest and helps the buzz factor.

Because of George and what he did with some classic rock songs I was going to try and do 1/2 hour block of techno dance music this year for the young adults...

working on a Lady GaGa song as we speak...

jimswinder wrote:

working on a Lady GaGa song as we speak...

Which Lady GaGa song? I sequenced
by Lady GaGa last year.

As far as "wow factor" goes, well, in the small village in which I live, my whole display is a "wow factor" because it is the biggest display around within a 1 hour drive in any direction.

I said that to say that the older aged people in the village in which I live are "conservative", so I do sequences based around Christmas Classics. I have teens and middle aged folks and so I add some sequences for them that are more upbeat.

As for the children I gave them "I Like To Move IT" from the Madagascar movie and no one cared for it, but me and 1 of my sons.

My most popular show was Walter Murphy's song "A Fifth Of Beethoven", followed by David Foster "Carol of the Bells", "Christmas Eve?Sarajevo", and then "Heat and Snow Miser" sequences.........they like how the two 32 channel tree each moved very fast in parts of the Heat/ Snowy songs.

Wait until they see my "Alberta Bound" sequence that some kind person did for me, that should really get the attention of folks............you would understand that if you lived here.

I agree that you should go outside the box, but I know my village and so I sequence accordingly.

I am really despising Wizards In Winter.

LOL

I can't speak for others, but it was that "Wizards in Winter" YouTube video of 4 years ago that told me I HAD to get into this hobby!!

I am very proud of my Wizards in Winter. It was the first song that I sequenced for 16 channels and I think I utilized my 16 channels pretty well. That song will always be one of my favorites. I especially like it when it is used creatively.

Salts wrote:

I am very proud of my Wizards in Winter. It was the first song that I sequenced... That song will always be one of my favorites. I especially like it when it is used creatively.

I agree completely, feel the same way, and couldn't have said it better myself.

Guest Don Gillespie

Wizards in Winter hooked me, I would still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for that youtube video, but your right any thing you want to sequence can be done, have fun with it and don't worry about what other people think its your display, you spent the money on it, open your mind and have at er don't forget to post your video so we can look at next christmas

George Simmons wrote:

Salts wrote:
I am very proud of my Wizards in Winter. It was the first song that I sequenced... That song will always be one of my favorites. I especially like it when it is used creatively.

I agree completely, feel the same way, and couldn't have said it better myself.
Sorry to have offended you fellows but that is just my opinion and obviously does not reflect the views of anyone else.

It was my 1st song in 2008 and I did it in 2009 as well, and it will be in my 2010 show, and every year there after, but it is not my favorite.............let me put it this way, I may be the only fellow who gets tried of hearing it, but it will stay in my show no matter how I feel about the song.

I did a sequence that is 22 minutes long "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"..........no one will sit outside in there cars for 22 minutes in -40F or any temp, but I did it for my family.

So like others have said I to like to go outside of the box. This year will be know different, as I have some song writers/ singers who gave me direct permission to use there songs in my show............I look forward to this project. Should take me upwards to 300 hours of sequencing to do my 5 song special program...........important to me to get these songs right.

jimswinder wrote:

LOL

I can't speak for others, but it was that "Wizards in Winter" YouTube video of 4 years ago that told me I HAD to get into this hobby!!

Aint that the truth brother. Just took me a few years to get my act together and get on the ball. Are you by chance talking about the one with the mega tree on the right, and the peace sign. Reason I ask is that there are several different videos out there.

to be fair to Lightzilla,

I think I know where he is coming from as far as the WIW is concerned. TSO has been real jerks to those of us who love their songs and want to seq. some of their music. What TSO does not realize is that after I had seen WIW on YouTube. I had to go out and buy one of their CDs. There are a few songs I didn't get with the first CD so I need to pick up and 2nd one. Point is, they have been real arses about the videos and this does rub some of us the wrong way. It rubs me the wrong way and I have not even posted a video..