Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Question

RaceMedic

I have tried doing a search and can't find an answer.

Sorry for the newbie question.

The candy canes that you can buy at Walmart etc ... are they dimable ?!

Thanks,

Dave

If they are incandescent, yes.

If they are LED, 95% yes. (That is, unless they are some odd ball, half wave, really cheaply made LED. Then, maybe not.)

Don wrote:

If they are LED, 95% yes. (That is, unless they are some odd ball, half wave, really cheaply made LED. Then, maybe not.)

Chances are pretty good that if they are from Walmart, they are half wave.

cmoore60 wrote:

If you are talking about the individual candy canes that sell for like 2.99 normal price.

Other than clear minis, those are probably the best bargains around every year. I picked up a bunch of them last year in January for 30 cents each. This year there weren't quite as many left over and I didn't want to lose out on getting some green ones so I paid 75 cents each. A bit disappointing, but still a pretty good price...

I managed to pick up a box full of candy canes at walmart for $0.33 each. I should have gone back for more they had several boxes full in January.

I have a large tree in my front yard and I am planning on using the candy canes on my tree for 2010.

Attached files 199133=11103-Moon

I have to figure out how to get the decorations up on the taller part of the tree. I have a ladder that will go up to 21 feet. However with the snow that we get in our area the decorations that start at 20 feet up wind up 5 to 10 feet off the ground with the weight of the snow.

I am not a big fan of ladders especially leaning into tree branches. I have got to figure out a better way to get lights and decorations onto this tree.

Attached files 199134=11104-DSCF0812.JPG

Todd:

How about using an extendable pole? Get one from Home Depot that is designed to extend paint rollers (some of 'em are pretty long). Then take a cheapy roller handle, cut the roller mechanism off, and form the metal "tip" into a hook.

Cray

Cray is right, home depot has an extension pole 8' to 23' for $45. One of those holiday light hook things will screw onto the end of it, giving you access to about 30 feet of height.

Or you could find yourself someone like my son-in-law who has no apparent concern for his own well-being and have him climb the tree above where the ladder will reach. Have him install a few pulleys while he's up there and from then on you can hoist it up from the ground.

Another option I have considered but so far have resisted is to use a ladder truck. Our fire department has one and I am the engineer for the department.

I just have not figured out a way to justify using it for my personal benefit. Ah, well maybe someday.

I have considered an extension pole and most likely will try that for 2010. It may be easier than setting up the ladder truck anyway and no one complains about that either. The other benefit of using a pole is I can use it whenever I want.

Attached files 199148=11105-Ladder 04.jpg

If you have a collection box that you use to benefit a local charity maybe you could justify using the ladder truck in that pursuit...

This tree is about 40 feet tall in the middle of the lawn, my feet don't leave the ground. I have a 36 foot poll from home depot, and I use a plastic hook on it I bought from a 12 foot poll designed for lights.

christmas09p4.jpg

OK. So maybe you just cut the tree down, have a month-long training exercise, and use the ladder truck as a base for a mega tree!?! :D

Cray

If I did some "training" in the summer time I could rig some pulley's and cable's to the tree. I just have to be careful about how

I mount it. The other tree to the right in the last picture had some limb loss. My sons years ago rigged up a swing system to some of the branches and then over the years the limb grew over the rope and then the limbs died that had the rope tied around them.

Just some long term thoughts since I am now stuck with the expectation from the community to do this every year. I got a late start three years ago and had many inquiry's if I was going to do my display that year.

Attached files 199224=11108-DSCF1095.JPG

Don wrote:

Actually all my Canadian Walmart 1/2 wave LEDs dim well, in fact, I have about 82 boxes of Walmart 70 count 1/2 waves that are 5 years old and none have burnt out yet.

Now Home Depot LEDs lights suck big time, and burn out. These are trash.

Our Canada Costco Full Wave LEDs lights are superb, very good dimming . I love these lights. Cheap priced (if you compare them to every other Canadian store at $18.00 a box for 1/2 wave) at $10.50 per box for 70 count pure whites LEDs, same with blue, and less for multi coloured and red.

I believe our Christmas light wire needs to be a heaver gauge in Canada, and perhaps that makes a difference.