Light-O-Rama Forums

Year two with LOR - still a newbie

sjmiller

I really thought I would NEVER get everything going for my first year (2009) as an animated Christmas display! It worked out better then expceted:

I want to add arches for 2010, and found this project on PC: http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=33498

My dilemma is that 2009 was such an under stocked year for retail Christmas decorations I never found a supply of lighted Candy Canes. My thought is to use a heat gun to make the candy canes fron 1/2" PVC, candy stripe them with red & white paint - then wrap with red & white lights/LED's.

Has anyone done this - and how did you like the results?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I dont know if you really need to paint the PVC white. That is unless you just got to have an ultra-white cane. As for the red. Someone suggested to me to use red duct tape. If you can find it in a narrow enough width you might want to look into this. I made a rather larger "Tune to" sign (3' x 2') with 3" pvc pipes to hold it up on both sides. But before I mounted this to the sign, I spiraled on some red duct tape to give it a candy cane look.

Just something to think about.

Denatured alcohol on a paper towel should take off the black printing. I was suprised how white the PVC was after this simple cleaning.