Light-O-Rama Forums

Pros and Cons Of The Ribbon

Guest Guest

Pros:

• They are very bright viewed at 90 degrees.
  • Macro mode is fairly easy to program and likely covers most desirable effects.
  • Very stable and responsive.
  • Nice length.
  • Can be used as two separate arches.
  • Extendable (plug multiple strips together).
  • Cutable - hmmm, don't think I'd do that.
  • Strip is weatherproof.
  • Very flexible in one direction.

Cons:

• Controller and power supply are NOT weather-proof.
  • Maximum viewing angle is 120 degrees.
  • Flexible in only one plane.
  • Lacks a kit to cut and re-join strips at various angles.
  • Macro mode programming is a bit confusing, better examples needed.

I have three CCR's attached to PVC arches and plan on outlining my house with more this year.

Pros:

Easy to setup. 1 extension cord, 1 network cable, 1 LOR controller and 1 string of lights. That's it.... Compared to 32 channel (LOR says CCR equals) traditional lights = 36 extension cords, 32 strings of lights, 2 network cables and 2 LOR controllers and if you believe in GFIs a few of them too.

Simple to program. Just stay away from macros for now.

Flexible..... I think I have figured out how to make sharp bends in all directions. Just a thought not been tested yet. But I think I can bend it at least like rope light... I did make sharp bends at the points of the star by flexing the ribbon.

Cheaper than non RGB lights Not much more than one regular LOR controller

The future in animated lighting...

Cons:

Software not quite there yet... I use 2 different programs. Using the strengths of the 2 programs I am able to get wonderful blends...

So to be fair I am a RGB devotee.... I am planning on only purchasing RGB effects from now on... And the CCR is tops of my list.

While you all are answering questions, here is another:

I was thinking of using the CCR for a permanent outside installation – does it appear to be UV resistant and weatherproof enough to do this? I notice that it has an operating temperature of -20 to 140F.

DaveK wrote:

While you all are answering questions, here is another:

I was thinking of using the CCR for a permanent outside installation – does it appear to be UV resistant and weatherproof enough to do this? I notice that it has an operating temperature of -20 to 140F.

The UV resistance is difficult for a owner to comment on but we did spend a considerable amount extra to use UV resistant materials. I hope we got our money's worth.

Dan - Light O Rama, Inc.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you share any info about the video that you accompany with your posts. I shoot fireworks and have made several fire effects within our shows. I have considered fire with a couple of my Xmas shows but didnt quite know how I was going to tackle it. I was impressed with the clip in your posts.

Mike Schmidt

• 3 months later...

melwelch wrote:

Flexible..... I think I have figured out how to make sharp bends in all directions. Just a thought not been tested yet. But I think I can bend it at least like rope light... I did make sharp bends at the points of the star by flexing the ribbon.

Have you made any test on this yet? I would like to use CCR around my windows (replacing rope lights), but not sure they are capable of that.

• The topic was locked