Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you guys buy your lights?

twowhlrcr

twowhlrcr wrote:

Hey guys, looking to get into this new hobby before halloween. Where do you guys buy your lights and what type do you prefer? Thanks!

WOW!!! Where to begin!!!

Depends on you budget...your likes and dislikes.

If it is unlimited, go with LED's. Others here (who shall remain nameless but has the initials of JM) wouldn't be caught dead with LED's because he/she doesn't like the color of them.

Incandescent are pretty cheap, especially if you can find a good after christmas sale.

Right now CDI and LED Holiday Lighting are having their pre-order sales.

http://www.creativedisplays.com

http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/

Good Luck...I am sure others will chime in...

twowhlrcr wrote:

Hey guys, looking to get into this new hobby before halloween. Where do you guys buy your lights and what type do you prefer? Thanks!

Well, I usually just buy my stuff in the local retail chains during the time they start putting out the goodies for sale.

I've bought my Christmas and Halloween stuff from all the local retailers (Wal-Mart, Wal-Green's, Home Depot, Lowes, K-Mart, CVS, Target, etc.) in my area.

I've bought Orange LED lights at Wal-Green's and will be looking to buy more from them again this season and add some of the "purple" LED strings to the mix.

Basically whatever retail store I may be at and if I see something that interests me that I may want to add to my display, I'll buy it. I like going to the local retailers to see what each has, as I always find different things in different stores, sometimes even the same store chain will have different items in differing store locations.

So I'm always on the prowl to see what's new for the year, what may still be around that I didn't or couldn't get last year, but add it this year if available.

It all boils down to how you want to do your displays, what type of lighting you're looking for and whether or not you want to drive around to look at things up close and personal, instead of just a photo or a rendition on the internet that doesn't always give you the full detail of the product of interest. Don't get me wrong, I also buy from the internet, but usually only if I can't find the item locally or it's no longer available retail. I use the E-Bay "Buy it now" option quite often for those hard to find items or items that just aren't available any longer in the retail chains.

twowhlrcr wrote:

I personally prefer LED's. Having said that, about half of my display is still incandescents due to the higher cost of LED's. If you're going to be getting into LED's in a big way, my advice is to take advantage of the pre-sales from online merchants. Not only is the price lower than what you can buy in retail stores, but with the vendors mentioned in these forums you don't have to worry about whether or not the diodes can be dimmed or faded without self-destructing. Most brands in retail stores CAN be dimmed okay. But unless you know FOR SURE whether a particuilar brand can be, my advice is to avoid it.

I think we all are in agreement that we hate paying full price for our stuff and wait/chance getting supplied during the after Christmas sales. But of course its usually the case, if you dont buy it when you see it you will be "left out in the cold" - bad pun.:D