Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR and DMX

Rafter Bar R

Has anyone tried to use a standalone dmx board to drive a CCR?

I have a 192 channel dmx board. I can get the pixels to light up, where are "macro" channels located?

I have the CCR on address "02".

To use the Macro & Color Effect channels, the DMX Mode in the Hardware Utility configuration screen must be set to "Both Macro and RGB Channels" (the default) or "Macro Effects Only." This is described in this manual http://lightorama.com/Documents/CR150D_Man_Web.pdf on pages 15 & 16.

The table at the bottom of page 15 gives the offsets for the macro & color effect channels. Macro mode is set by DMX offsets 0 to 4. Since your CCR is set to Unit ID "02" the base DMX address is 17 (see page 33.) The macro mode would be controlled by DMX channels 17, 18, 19 & 20. This is described on page 35 & 36.

The RGB channels (if Both Macro and RGB Channels is configured) would start at DMX address 33. The default configuration is for the ribbon to be 50 pixels. If you did not change this, DMX channels 33, 34 & 35 will control RGB of the pixel nearest the controller.

If you set DMX channel 24 (logical resolution) to a value between 1 & 31 the entire ribbon will be one pixel. see page 34. DMX channels 33, 34 & 35 will control RGB for the entire ribbon. Try this and turn on the entire ribbon. Leave it on for the next paragraph.

Set DMX channel 17 to a value between 16 and 27, this selects macro mode 1 (Fill from controller to end.) The ribbon should go dark. Slide the control for DMX channel 23 (the macro effect channel) from 0 to 255. The ribbon should fill from controller to the end.

I think that the problem with this type of control board is that it uses 16 channel increments as "fixtures". The current DMX layout of the CCR uses two "fixtures" on this board and that makes it almost impossible to use. The macros and resolution are the first fixture and the RGB channels are in the second fixture. A 32 channel (w/ 32 individual sliders) would work fine with the CCR.

I like to make a suggestion here, I think it would be better to group the DMX channels in a consecutive order, it probally doesn't matter which functions are in order for example: CCR is set on "02", macros, 17, 18, 19, 20, Resolution 21, Red 22, Green 23, Blue 24. Is it possible that the CCR's firmware could be set up to handle DMX channels this way? This would work with these types of DMX control boards that have 8 sliders, this would allow the control of multiple CCR's from one board. I know that I'm not the only one who has a small DMX board. It would be a good way to use the CCR for parties and or mood lighting without needing a computer. It's just a suggestion.

• 1 month later...

I just got the obey 40 and was contemplating the same issue, having the dmx channels be more programmable so they fit within the standard 16 channel fixtures would be a great help. There are many dmx boards out there that would have this basic layout.

Neil

flonewolvie wrote:

I think that the problem with this type of control board is that it uses 16 channel increments as "fixtures". The current DMX layout of the CCR uses two "fixtures" on this board and that makes it almost impossible to use. The macros and resolution are the first fixture and the RGB channels are in the second fixture. A 32 channel (w/ 32 individual sliders) would work fine with the CCR.

I like to make a suggestion here, I think it would be better to group the DMX channels in a consecutive order, it probally doesn't matter which functions are in order for example: CCR is set on "02", macros, 17, 18, 19, 20, Resolution 21, Red 22, Green 23, Blue 24. Is it possible that the CCR's firmware could be set up to handle DMX channels this way? This would work with these types of DMX control boards that have 8 sliders, this would allow the control of multiple CCR's from one board. I know that I'm not the only one who has a small DMX board. It would be a good way to use the CCR for parties and or mood lighting without needing a computer. It's just a suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone used the MagicQ software DMX board from Chamsys.co.uk and enttec pro usb dmx to control CCR's? or anything that is simealar to this?

I want to play with the macro effects via dmx on the CCR to get them to provide some mood lighting while I am not using them for my christmas display.

Neil

• The topic was locked