Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting started with CCR

Lorrie

Hi. I'm really glad that I found this forum. I am just getting started with the world of LOR, but now I have discovered CCR. My question is simple - is each unit stand alone, or can you connect so many units together to run off of 1 controller. I keep reading through the speck sheets, but the info is kind of vague (or over my head).

Thanks!

Lorrie

There are two concepts in play here...Network and the Channels. CCR is standalone, but only stand-alone from the perspective of the channels. You still need to 'link' it into the LOR network via Cat-5.

The Network is what is used to send the information from the PC to the lights and CCR to say 'turn on, turn off' etc.

For instance, if you had a LOR 16 channel controller for some lights, you could 'link' the CCR to the controller and then the controller back to your PC (all through Cat 5e) and then attach the Cat 5e to the PCvia USB or Serial. This way, the hardware utility can see both the 16-Channel controller AND the CCR with only one connection (USB or Serial).

Make sense?

After reading my response, I actually want to clarify a bit more...

The CCR does have a built-in controller, but is only for controlling the ribbon itself. The 16-channel LOR controller is simply another style controller which allows you to plug in up to 16 different lights and control them individually.

You connect controllers together to form the LOR network which is used to communicate from the PC out to the controllers for programming the shows and controlling the lights.

Thanks,This part I understand. I guess a better question would be, if I want to run say 6 CCRs, do I need to purchase 6 units, or can I connect them all together?I read through the speck sheet, and saw where it was refering to 1 -3 CCR units, but din't understand.

Thanks,

Lorrie

Lorrie wrote:

Thanks,This part I understand. I guess a better question would be, if I want to run say 6 CCRs, do I need to purchase 6 units, or can I connect them all together?I read through the speck sheet, and saw where it was refering to 1 -3 CCR units, but din't understand.

Thanks,

Lorrie

Lorrie,

To run 6 CCR's you would need to purchase 6 CCR's (a CCR is a controller and ribbon -sold as a unit), then you could daisy chain them together to be controlled by a single sequence.

Other LOR controllers could also be daisy chained with the CCRs to control other lights.

Is this helping to clarify your understanding?

I think the question is can you add slave ribbons to the first ribbon controller. (purchasing additional ribbons only (no controller or power pack) at a reduced price). I think the instruction manual describes this as a possibility. I don't think the ribbons are sold this way just yet. I believe that if and when you do this, all ribbons will mirror the first ribbon.

Steve

I just took a look at the user manual. I think you need to look at page #14 note #4 - at this time you must buy complete units. Purchase of ribbons only is not an option.

Hope this helps.

Steve

steve synek wrote:

I believe that if and when you do this, all ribbons will mirror the first ribbon.

Steve

Not so Steve. When you have multiples connected, the controller still only has 50 pixels it can control. They are adjacent to each other. So the pixel size increases with the number of ribbons. A fill from end to end of a double will appear to move twice as fast because it travels further in the same amount of time.

If each connected ribbon mirrored the first, a fill of a leaping arch would have multiple start points.

I am also waiting to see the pricing on ribbons without a controller and if any kind of splicing kit would come with it.

Thanks BobO

Your right. I think I was getting this and another company's product mixed up. (The ribbon is so much better than the Firef.. , that I sold them before I ever used them).

Steve

ItsMeBobO wrote:

steve synek wrote:
I believe that if and when you do this, all ribbons will mirror the first ribbon.

Steve

Not so Steve. When you have multiples connected, the controller still only has 50 pixels it can control. They are adjacent to each other. So the pixel size increases with the number of ribbons. A fill from end to end of a double will appear to move twice as fast because it travels further in the same amount of time.

If each connected ribbon mirrored the first, a fill of a leaping arch would have multiple start points.

I am also waiting to see the pricing on ribbons without a controller and if any kind of splicing kit would come with it.

Thank you all for your advise. This forum is very informative, and I'm learning a lot. Now, I am ready to order a 16 channel, but trying to be patient for a possible LOR Spring sale in February. Any advise on buy now or wait?

Thanks, Lorrie

lorrie,

one thing you can do is download the demo of the software and get into sequencing and learning that.. then when you buy the kit (im assuming you are buying a kit that includes controller, RS485 USB module and software?) then you can have an idea of how to sequence.. thew sale in spring usually has aggressive pricing but not nearly as many items are on sale... the summer sale has less agggressive pricing but pretty much everything is on sale......

typically the sale in spring has individual controllers on sale.. it is inventory reduction so it depends on what they have surplus of.. im not sure if CCR's will be part of that or not.. my guess is not since they are brand new.. but dan may surprise us and have them in there...

as for stringing multiple ribbons together on 1 controller.. as another post stated you still only have 50 Pixels...

if you look in your single ribbon you will see that each channel controls 3 LED's in a row(1 Pixel).. if you were to string another ribbon on each channel would control 6 LED's... so in effect you lose some resolution capabilities... also you still have to power that second ribbon separately of the first so it doesnt save you much on running wires... the reason for this is the traces on that flexible ribbon are thin and to pur multiple ribbins daisy chained together without a decond power source would result in voltage drop at the end of the line on the second ribbon possibly resulting in less LED brightness or even the IC chip not functioning properly because of low voltage... the IC chip is blacked out so I dont know what chip it is to see its voltage range....
-Christopher

Thanks Christopher. I will give the demo download a shot. I do plan to order the 16 channel Showtime kit. Once I figure it out, then I will add a CCR. I am the event coordinator for a fundraising haunted house, so I hope to be up to speed on this by September. I think this will have quite an impact with our customers.

Thanks again for all your advise, and I'm sure I will have many more questions as I proceed.

Lorrie

• The topic was locked