Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Low power

I've got an project in development for next year that uses several lower power channels, so I'm considering getting the PC board with lower lower heat sinks.

But, what is the power limitation of the lower power heat sink?

I believe its 1 amp/channel.

One thought, is that it may be fun getting the pattern for the stand offs correct when mounting without the high power heat sinks. For me, the high power heat sinks are worth the price for how much they simplify mounting the cards..

With the increasing use of LED's, I think that there probably is a good market for a new, low power controllers.

I'm not sure that there is much to be saved by designing for a low power controller. The 16A triacs that are currently used are likely under $1 in mass quantity. Scaling down to a 1A triac doesn't likely save more than a few cents each. The reason the high power heat sinks cost what they do is the punching and bending, not the materials, so a lighter version doesn't save much...

The savings in the PC series mostly come from spade lugs instead of screw terminals, plastic case instead of metal, smaller board size, and not having the dials, or eeprom for standalone sequences.

Where I think things might get improved for LED would be low current, AC PWM dimming, but I think that while it will improve dimming results, and likely eliminate the need for additional load and flicker, I would almost expect it to cost more per channel than the current phase angle dimming.