Light-O-Rama Forums

Fantasmic with Fireworks

friskybri

This is our first year of animation. Did this sequence in two weeks working two jobs. Some parts suck and had no time to preview it on the display. One shot. The HD is not done processing but here is my fireworks. Will upload to Vimeo later this week. We had 30 cars parked up and down the road. The neighbors let us use their driveways. Cars were lined down the cross street. Think next year I am going to put out door speakers just for the disney night and have bleachers put in.

• Like 1

Okay...what part sucked?

The display was great. I watched it a couple of times and didn't see anything wrong. The fireworks is an outstanding addition to your display. I take my kids to see the fireworks show at Disneyland show all the time (season ticket holder). It was just like watching it...on a smaller scale. I wish I could use fireworks, but they are so illegal where I live...I would make the news in the wrong way.

Great Job!!

Well I didn't like the part of the chase where it was running around the yard and different colors. Its a small part but i was picky. I did three songs Epcot, standing in motion and then fantasmic. I used Brian Mitchel's epcot and standing in motion. Changed a few things. I had fireworks for epcot the entire song. Loved Brian's work also his house is so much like my house. The Fantasmic I did from scratch. As far as the LOR being used for fireworks, not this year. I used a armband radio with earbuds and knew three seconds before I wanted it to go up I lit the fuse. I daisy chained the rest with safety fuses. Light one and let it all go. Next year I am going to use LOR with the Electronic ignite rs. I plan on using one channel to run the fireworks. Think I have that figured out but want to run some tests this summer. As far as illegal. Its uhh NO COMMENT her also. Our neighborhood is great we all have neighborhood party's. No one complains witch is wonderful.

Nice show good choreography!

Please read this partial posting from a fireworks forum in December 2009:

The holiday lighting software and systems, which there are many other then the 2 listed here and fireworks software are similar but still strikingly different. Holiday lighting systems can use the same address over and over, dim, shimmer, twinkle, fade up and fade down which means the voltage is changing on the address and duration of the signal to fire which could be kept on the whole time the system is on or plugged in. The switching uses TRIAC’s which if the AC line legs where not correctly wired/polarized and/or plugged in will ALWAYS have a small amount of voltage and amperage flowing through them. The actual boards used to hook up your lights too are based on 120 volts AC or 240 volt AC depending on which country they are being used in.

These holiday lighting boards do not like seeing a dead short which is in most cases what an ematch/igniter is. Doing so could just blow the fusing instead of the ematch and/or the electronics on those control boards.

Most all fireworks firing system use DC voltage instead of AC for many safety reasons.

There are DC holiday lighting systems that have DC boards but need their own power supplies which means more AC wiring in the field. Those boards are used to control DMX, RGB color, servo motors, stepper motors, valves, PLC’s, low voltage LED lights, & etc.

A lot of times the holiday lighting system will flash all of the addresses when started up/initiated, and if you where using it to fire your fireworks the show would be over before the music got started. Something similar to what happened to a few demo’s at the NFA convention this year.

The NFPA codes do not allow the usage of the holiday lighting hardware nor their manufactures, nor would NEC, or UL standards for electrical applications and or hardware/equipment to be used in conjunction with fireworks or flame effects.

Oh it has been tried by a few people with disasters experiences.:shock::shock::shock:

Are fireworks legal where you live?????:shock:

Please check your home owner insurance Before you light your fireworks!:shock:

Be safe and enjoy.

Wow ! I was expecting light effect fireworks!

So... tell us how many times you had to reload and test to get the timing right?

Not that I can try it as fireworks are illegal here and my wife would shut me down if the sheriff didn't.

Garry wrote:

The holiday lighting software and systems, which there are many other then the 2 listed here and fireworks software are similar but still strikingly different. Holiday lighting systems can use the same address over and over, dim, shimmer, twinkle, fade up and fade down which means the voltage is changing on the address and duration of the signal to fire which could be kept on the whole time the system is on or plugged in. The switching uses TRIAC’s which if the AC line legs where not correctly wired/polarized and/or plugged in will ALWAYS have a small amount of voltage and amperage flowing through them. The actual boards used to hook up your lights too are based on 120 volts AC or 240 volt AC depending on which country they are being used in.

These holiday lighting boards do not like seeing a dead short which is in most cases what an ematch/igniter is. Doing so could just blow the fusing instead of the ematch and/or the electronics on those control boards.

Most all fireworks firing system use DC voltage instead of AC for many safety reasons.

There are DC holiday lighting systems that have DC boards but need their own power supplies which means more AC wiring in the field. Those boards are used to control DMX, RGB color, servo motors, stepper motors, valves, PLC’s, low voltage LED lights, & etc.

A lot of times the holiday lighting system will flash all of the addresses when started up/initiated, and if you where using it to fire your fireworks the show would be over before the music got started. Something similar to what happened to a few demo’s at the NFA convention this year.

The NFPA codes do not allow the usage of the holiday lighting hardware nor their manufactures, nor would NEC, or UL standards for electrical applications and or hardware/equipment to be used in conjunction with fireworks or flame effects.

Oh it has been tried by a few people with disasters experiences.:shock::shock::shock:

Be safe and enjoy.

Funhater! :D

Gary said...

Be safe and enjoy.

People have been using fire and fireworks in home displays for years long before a LOR controller, you tube was ever heard of. I don't think the NFPA and NEC police are much to worry about. I dont think UL standards mean much on someones display with 256 channels. Don't get me wrong. I am all for electrical safety. ANd after over 20 years in the Air Force doing electrical/electronics I overkill all my projects.

To overcome a dead short situation on your LOR controller for an igniter or anything els you want to control that has a high impedance, (like a direct short on the circuit) all you need is a relay using seperate power source to ignite the ematch. I have been using relys powered by electronic circuit boards for 40 years to solve a lot of switching problems.

Not a bad idea to check local ordinances and your insurance. Fireworks are illeagle where I live.