• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgardner518

• Surfing4Dough

• TJ Hvasta

• shfr26

You can also use a BBQ motor found at any Goodwill, DAV or other thift stores to turn the pvc.. ..slow enough rotation, high enough torque not to bog down when the pipe gets heavy with lights.. and easily mountable to a wood frame/jig.. I try to find stuff locally before going online..

What is a good number of lights per section to make it look good?? I have only seven channels to spare and want an arch about the 10 to 20 ft range.

Thanks,

Shfr,

My arches are 7 channels and 100 C6 LEDs and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. 100 Seems to be the magic number.

-Evan

I only had 6 channels to spare.My are 15 ft long , 6 channels,100 lights per channel and all 4 archs are hook together. I think they look good. I can send you a video of them if you want.

Thanks for the quick reply. If you do 100 per section at 18 inches per section isn't that 7 channels equals to about a 10 foot arch ?

7 sections @18" is what I used on my 10 ft. arches.

Worked great and the sequence timing was fine.

I used the sleeve method to make them. Much easier than spinning a 10 ft. section of

PVC. Also much easier to store and repair them.

Harbs

6 sections @28" and 8" on each end is what I used on my 15 ft. arches. Looks better than you think.Its all I had to work with. Next year 8 channels

Brian Mitchell wrote:

4 10 ft arches. 7 channels ran them all.

I did not even think about using more than one, My display just got a little bigger!!

Thanks,

I plan on building arches for this next season. I have two archways on the front of my house I plan to match even though they are not exact half circles.

One thing that bothers me a bit is that roughly half the lights are on the back side of the arch where no one can see them thus wasted. Does this bug anyone else?

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in a forum somewhere, someone showed a picture of there arches and how they do them. They rool the lights onto small sections of electrical pvc and them slind them onto one large pole.

It was an easier way to store!

And storgage is my issue right now. I Would like to get that person who showed the picture and find out how they did it!

Can ANYONE, help me find them!

I like there work and would like to learn from them. Please pass this on to whoever needs to see it, in order to help me make my arches!

Ray

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I remember in a forum somewhere, someone showed a picture of there arches and how they do them. They rool the lights onto small sections of electrical pvc and them slind them onto one large pole.

It was an easier way to store!

And storgage is my issue right now. I Would like to get that person who showed the picture and find out how they did it!

Can ANYONE, help me find them!

I like there work and would like to learn from them. Please pass this on to whoever needs to see it, in order to help me make my arches!

Ray

I think this is what you are looking for.
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=36584

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I think this is what you are looking for.
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=36584

Thanks alot! I owe you big time! I wish he was a member here! I guess I'll go join that forum too now, and cross my fingers in hopes he will help me!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Thanks alot! I owe you big time! I wish he was a member here! I guess I'll go join that forum too now, and cross my fingers in hopes he will help me!

Um, see 10 and 18 posts up from here. :) Though PC is a great place to join to learn from too.

• 5 months later...

We decided to do our 1st arch this year ( I really wanted a mega Tree, but when I got done with 6 colums of RGB - I only had 7 channels left.... So I decided to do an arch.

I have seen tons of how to's, and it didnt look hard at all.... but man what a pain in the A$$! I think it took Me, My Wife, and my Father-in-law close to 3 hours to wrap 2 10ft 3/4 PVC pieces. I was tired when I finished soldering, I didnt even hook it to a controller.

Assembled its about 4.5 feet tall and 14 feet wide.

It was just way more work then I expected to get it wraped - boy am I glad thats done!.

While I was out there I figured I'd throw a piece of EL Wire on the tree - I think its going to look great when I do the whole tree. Not sure what color I like best.... humm.

By the way - we did 7 sections but divided the top section between the two pieces of pipe - one pipe ends with a male plug, the other with female (and the pipe screws together. So for storage, we un hook one plug and unscrew the pipe. All the other power runs down each end towards the ground - 3 plugs on one side and 2 on the other. I guess I'll have a couple more feet of cable when it goes to the controllers, but I'm ok with that.

Attached files 211126=11771-P9060115.JPG