• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• Robin

• jimswinder

• radioguy1007

This year I think I am going to steal everyone's stuff.

More of those Fire Stick things, maybe even make it look like some fountains in Vegas.

Then I had this great idea to actually show video! Yeah outside. Neat idea, I take a projector and shoot it throug a window and then people can watch stuff while the music is playing.

Seriously, I am getting the video card installed by a good friend of mine Monday. Have to decide on a projector and then someday I will get the rest of my lights put away.

Speaking of fire sticks (which I thought I invented in '08 after stealing the idea from Shadracks) I wonder what a Robin Wheel would look like with four long arms and four shorter ones? Might make for some interesting effects... If it works, I hereby lay claim to the idea! I wonder though - could we still call it a wheel?

Robin wrote:

Then I had this great idea to actually show video! Yeah outside. Neat idea, I take a projector and shoot it throug a window and then people can watch stuff while the music is playing.

As I kid (45 years ago!!), when it snowed outside, I would take my slide projector and project pictures to the ground thru my bedroom window. What a huge movie screen I had!!! LOL

EDIT: Oh...and not only did I invent the internet...I also invented LEDS!!! :shock:

George Simmons wrote:

Looks good Mike. How about a pic or two of the base?

Here's a shot of the base. I made it from unistrut - it is a system that is used by electrical contractors a lot. I was able to buy it at my Home Depot in the electrical department.

Mike

Attached files 196044=10981-HPIM1990.JPG

I like it all!

But for me, it looks also like more of a storage problem - but only because I have a storage problem. Why do you think i got rid of my Z tree. Love that tree, just no where to store it.

Ho Hummmm....

Ditto on the storage problem. I'm already sorry that I glued my pvc Robin Wheel spokes to the connectors. I thought about drilling holes and either pinning or screwing the spokes so I could take it apart for storage, but I thought that adding those holes might weaken the connectors and I didn't want problems in the middle of the season. I'm going to make a couple smalller ones (and also that hybrid I posted about earlier) with 50 ct sets this summer and I'd like to make them more portable than the one I have.

radioguy1007 wrote:

Here's a shot of the base. I made it from unistrut...

Mike,

With hindsight being 20-20, if you made the middle legs of the base longer would it eliminate the need for the lateral guy wires?

I have storage issues also, so I thought about using cotter pins the make sure the legs of the Robin Wheel wouldn't slip out unexpectedly. They only require a 3/16" hole, but it would be hell lining them up. The slip fit between the cross and legs is very tight so the pipe doesn't rotate smoothly in the cross fitting.

My solution was to drill 2 sets of 3/16" holes, 1 in the cross fitting beyond the pipe insertion depth, 1 in the pipe where it is still exposed after insertion. Then use bailing wire to go through the holes and secure the pipe.

Just one thought.

Bruce

George Simmons wrote:

radioguy1007 wrote:
Here's a shot of the base. I made it from unistrut...

Mike,

With hindsight being 20-20, if you made the middle legs of the base longer would it eliminate the need for the lateral guy wires?

Yes, I'm sure that would work. But then I would have had to buy another length of unistrut. I just used some pieces I had left from another project. It is also pretty easy to move in it's current form (base length X width). I just undo the two bolts at the base where the vertical support is mounted and it all becomes flat. I just decided to guy it on the lawn as a safety measure.

Wholly Channelmolly!

Wow, very cool and I'm not getting into the naming game.

Still some day I'd like to add this idea to my display but, time, money, kids, life, oh yeah no money. Eh, maybe someday....

Very cool guys, keep them coming so I can show my Wife and see if she'll go for'em... :)

-Evan

• 1 year later...

This was made from the idea of the Robin Wheel. I added the pole and the center burst. Programming to get me started by Bruce.

The Lambert Shooting Star.

I figured I would call it my own beings there was a naming problem above. grin.gif

Here is a video of just the star.

http://www.vimeo.com/18856336

My complete set of videos can be found here.

http://www.christmasinbrandon.com/Videos.aspx

Attached files 234143=12795-LambertShootingStar.jpg

Nice job! Your yard reminds me of one I had about 15 years ago. How I'd like to have that type of space to work with now...

I think your Lambert Shooting Star looks great. I kick myself for not thinking of it myself - combining the Robin Wheel with a light pole. Talk about missing the forest for the trees... I've only looked at them side by side in both in the visualizer and in the yard for the past two years. :?

Looks like the neighbor's yard is gonna get a Simmons Screaming Blue Meemie next year. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

I thought about a RGB version. You might have to use a CCR or the flat channel version or arrange bulbs facing outward. Many things like this will change

My yard is in an L shape witch makes for a great "display" but it makes for almost "two shows" becuase you can't see everything at once. It also make video taping really hard because of the width and depth.

I'll try to get some pictures when I take it down so everyone can copy if they like. the head took the most work because of the welding. Nothing special, just time, some extra pipe and a welder.

Awsome!

Looks like a lottt of work.

Newbie here, so bear with me,

8 spokes, times eight channel/strands per spoke = 64 channels, more or less?

or is my math off.

wmilkie wrote:

8 spokes, times eight channel/strands per spoke = 64 channels, more or less?
or is my math off.

watching the video I THINK he only has 3 strands per spoke and perhaps 7 or 8 on the bottom leg...so maybe 32 channels?

Unless he has two colors (red/green) on each section of the spokes...but I never saw them change color in the Wizards In Winter video...

Had to look at my sequence.

3 strand per arm, 8 arms. 24 channels
7 on the pipe
1 center

32 channels total or two controllers.

31.5 strings of lights. I cut a string for the center for only 50 bulbs.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the lights didn't wind sporadic on the PVC on the first section. This could be corrected however.

jeffl wrote:

The only thing I didn't like about it was the lights didn't wind sporadic on the PVC on the first section. This could be corrected however.

What size PVC did you use?