Light-O-Rama Forums

Robin Wheel snowflake spinner patterns

George Simmons

Thanks. There's actually a lot more than the ones I posted. I keep threatening to put them all into an animation sequence for easy indexing and reference but all I've done so far is to get it started. Damn ADD... I think the last thing I added to the file coincides with the last example I sent you in the spring.

Whatever we call it, I've had a lot of fun programming it and a lot of people have mentioned it. (Of course, sitting 25 feet from the street makes it kind of hard to ignore.) I went out before and measured it and it's actually closer to 5 ft than 6 ft. I think that a lot of my patterns wouldn't look as good if they were stretched out to the super size proportions of yours and Bill's devices.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• Robin

• jimswinder

• radioguy1007

Guest wbottomley

George Simmons wrote:

Holy lick-a-moly! That's a monster for sure. How did you lift it up there - a crane? 32 channels?

Nope... all by hand on a ladder.

32 channels is what it takes to operate it.

Here's the cords that come from it:

DSC01541.jpg

I agree also. And why not? It's a fine device, it offers a lot of sequencing possibilities. Yes, it's a channel hog, but the viewers love it. I've had people tell me they miss everything else that's going on in the yards because they can't take their eyes off it. So what that means Robin is that you're just going to have to keep inventing stuff so we can stay ahead of the curve.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you construct the Robin Wheel using 2 cross connectors? If so, did you connect the 2 cross connectors together by drilling a hole in the center of the connectors and bolting them together? How did you keep them at 45 degrees to each other? Did you use this same bolt to mount the Robin Wheel?

Can you have a post with nothing but questions?

Hahaha

Bruce

ainsworth wrote:

Did you construct the Robin Wheel using 2 cross connectors? If so, did you connect the 2 cross connectors together by drilling a hole in the center of the connectors and bolting them together? How did you keep them at 45 degrees to each other? Did you use this same bolt to mount the Robin Wheel?

Can you have a post with nothing but questions?

Hahaha

Bruce

In order: yes, yes, including a lock washer on the bolt, yes, and obviously yes.

That is kind of like the one the fellow in New Zealand made a few years back. He called it his "Fire Works" display.

The two designs are different yet at the same time a like .......except the one in NZ has a few more colours.

http://www.kamahilights.com

Hmmmm the pictures give me something to look at and get ideas that might help out in the one I want to make........if I get the other projects done first. LoL.

So Robin how did the "Fire Works" display idea come about? Did you see a similar idea out there somewhere?

I look at yours and then I look at the one from New Zealand and between the two a person can make the "ultra "Fireworks" display.

The one you did look goods with the arch over top of it.

With all those similar designs out there (saw more in other displays) a guy can come up with an idea for his own display.

I need to start planning now.

Radioguy, any chance of a close up of the center hub? Wondering what method you used to mount pvc and center pole ideas. Thanks

Chuck

Chuck:

The wheel is already apart for the season - so I took a photo of the center hub as you requested with two spokes. The center is a 1/8 inch thick piece of aluminum I cut into a "stop sign" shape. I then took a piece of 1 1/2 inch angle aluminum and made notches on one side to form an octagon shape bending it in a vise. I pop rivited the whole thing together.

The spokes are 3/4 inch PVC just like an arch. I put in a 1 foot 5/8 inch diameter dowel (fits snugly) into the center and glued it with gorilla glue. I drilled a hole into the center of the dowel, and got 8 specialty screws from the hardware store that have a lag screw wood thread on one end and a machine screw thread on the other. I turned in the wood thread into the dowel, and on the machine screw end I have a wing nut and washer. The 3 circuits terminate in a 4 pin plug that mates with the junction box on the back. The whole thing comes apart into a nice storable package. It made it through 2 nights of 50 MPH wind gusts without any damage.

Mike

Attached files 195815=10958-HPIM1989.JPG

Okay Lightzilla I hate to do this but you give me no choice. Here is your PM where you say the idea was yours. You give me the NZ site and pass it off as your own.

"Why?

Listen I am not one to toot the old horn but sometimes a little credit is nice you know. Did I design it? Yup. Here is a pic from Feb."

How did you come up with the idea?

I seen similar ones a couple of years ago, but I guess the closes one I saw like the one you designed was on this web site.

http://www.kamahilights.com

What you made look good. Gives a fellow ideas. "

Now let me state the facts just as I stated them to you.
Who ever made those they look far better than anything I could imagine. I have never view that site or those videos quite simply because I only view videos when people post them here. Most of the time I am only on Christmas sites from November till the end of January unless I build something and I share it with friends on a special site.

As you can tell by the pictures the only thing about the two designs is the fact they look like fireworks. If you or anyone else want to claim the patterns then get a life. How many different ways can you make a firework look in a 2D build?

Anyone who knows me knows for a fact that when I have used a design I have given credit. problem is I have only used one design from someone else. That is the deer pattern given to me by Marty Slack. Go to my You Tube videos and see exactly how I give credit when I use someone's design. Now I must admit, I am not sure who invented the mini tree, and it seems everyone is using arches of some sort as well as a mega tree well not exactly like mine. Although I did find a guy who made a 10 foot one a year or so ago.

Bottom line next time you accuse me get your facts straight and do not pretend that it is your design. You have now taken an educational discussion and turned it into a personal war. If you continue this there is no doubt in my mind this thread will be shut down. So if I may make a suggestion, do not reply to me while I am in this mood. Check that do not reply. Oh and learn some grammar for God's sake.

One more thing Lightzilla

William and I are very good friends. George is a good friend as well.

My post about tooting the horn was a joke in which they both knew I was joking.

SO BUTT OUT!

Guest wbottomley

Robin... just think, liberals are jealous because they can't think for themselves. They want full credit for someone else's work and love to point fingers when it doesn't work out.

Keep up the good work!

Your ideas for 2010 are going to be great! ;)

Mountainwxman wrote:

Robin... just think, liberals are jealous because they can't think for themselves. They want full credit for someone else's work and love to point fingers when it doesn't work out.

Keep up the good work!

Your ideas for 2010 are going to be great! ;)

Yeah Robin, I'm looking forward too. Can't wait to see what other things you invent that someone else finds a way to take credit for. Maybe if it happens often enough Al Gore will take pity on you and give you some of his credit for inventing the internet.