Light-O-Rama Forums

Robin Wheel snowflake spinner patterns

George Simmons

I shot some video through a window showing my snowflake spinner, which I call a Robin Wheel in deference to it's creator. The video is crude - the camera is new and I obviously still have much to learn (such as how to make a LED blue spinner look blue) and the window is more in need of cleaning than I realized. Nevertheless, I posted four separate videos. Here's the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/8157785

Comments are welcome...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• Robin

• jimswinder

• radioguy1007

Very nice!

But what are the origins of the "Robin Wheel", more details please.

I also like your candy cane spinners you posted previously, why not combine the two?

Thanks.

The Robin Wheel was devised by Robin Stueben, who's a member here. He posted pics way back in the spring and as soon as I saw it I had to have one. I told him I was going to copy it and name it in his honor and he said okay. The videos are posted to satisfy people's requests from other threads, They're certainly not comprehensive of all the patterns I've come up with, but they show some of the scores of possible things you can do with it.

The candy cane spinner is a different animal altogether qand quite a bit less complex. It's not shown because it isn't anywhere near the Robin Wheel in the yard. It will be in the "official" videos when I get them done. I first used 6-channel spinners like that last year and this year the candy cane model is on 6 channels. Next year I'm planning that it and it's brethren will be 12 channels.

Mountainwxman wrote:

George... that's kind of like mine.

Well Bill, it ought to be like yours since we both copied from the same "pattern". :D

Mine is just under 6 feet in diameter (with 24 channels). I used blue 70ct LED's to wrap it and that's the length it turned out to be. I have neither the strength to muscle a twelve-footer around nor do I have anywhere to mount it. I can't even imagine hauling a monster like that around...

Guest wbottomley

George Simmons wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
George... that's kind of like mine.

Well Bill, it ought to be like yours since we both copied from the same "pattern". :D

Mine is just under 6 feet in diameter (with 24 channels). I used blue 70ct LED's to wrap it and that's the length it turned out to be. I have neither the strength to muscle a twelve-footer around nor do I have anywhere to mount it. I can't even imagine hauling a monster like that around...

LOL!

Robin and I talked about it last year as we were drumming the idea up at the same time. Or, he could of gotten a day or two start on it before me, can't remember.

Anyway.... your's look great with those blue LED's!

Hey, you think it looks great now - just wait until I become one with the camera and figure out how to make those blue lights look blue in the videos.

George Simmons wrote:

Hey, you think it looks great now - just wait until I become one with the camera and figure out how to make those blue lights look blue in the videos.

Does your video camera have an exposure setting (some do)?

I found I needed to turn down the exposure to get the colors to come out...

Also some have a "Night Setting" that helps bring out the colors...

And...set the "White Balance" to a "Dark" or "Nighttime" setting.

I have six and actually like to call mine Mega Fireworks! My largest one is 10 feet in diameter and smallest one about three feet. I have one that runs on 24 channels and the rest run on only three as I wanted to get the explosion effect more than just spinning. Guess I am going to have to do a video of the one on the roof inside a 12 ft. arch.

Oh and there is actually an easy way to support the large ones so may have to shoot a couple of picks for you mentally challenged fellows (William and George)!:shock::D

Mountainwxman wrote:

Robin and I talked about it last year as we were drumming the idea up at the same time. Or, he could of gotten a day or two start on it before me, can't remember.

I suppose now I have to rename the darn thing... call it a RoBill wheel or something... damn, it's always something... Actually, I think of it more as a starburst...

Jim - thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try and report back. What exposure setting works best for you?

George Simmons wrote:

Jim - thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try and report back. What exposure setting works best for you?

I used a friends camera, and it just had the ability to raise or lower the exposure. No specific f-stop or anything like that. I could adjust while taping, so I could see the results in the viewfinder.

Hopefully after Christmas I will be buying myself a Christmas Present...a new Professional Video Camera. Have been wanting one for a few years...now I have the perfect excuse to get one!!

Guest wbottomley

Robin wrote:

I have six and actually like to call mine Mega Fireworks! My largest one is 10 feet in diameter and smallest one about three feet. I have one that runs on 24 channels and the rest run on only three as I wanted to get the explosion effect more than just spinning. Guess I am going to have to do a video of the one on the roof inside a 12 ft. arch.

Oh and there is actually an easy way to support the large ones so may have to shoot a couple of picks for you mentally challenged fellows (William and George)!:shock::P

LMAO!

Here's my temp support system. I plan to put a better one in place next season.

DSC01542.jpg

Geez, now I'm not sure about the name anymore... Sounds like the Mountain Weatherman is getting ready to sue...

I'm trying to think when the last time was that I even visited PC? I can't even remember if I've been there this year anytime...

Don't worry about Willy he knows who came up with the idea first. Besides a snowflake only has six sides!

George the patterns are awesome. You work on that like I work on my Monster Mega Tree. Oh yeah it is made in same manner as the Robin Wheel except it has 96 channels plus the star.