Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

looking for the cheapest extension cords!!!

Guest guest

well with christmas only 4 months away, i still have about 40 extension cords to purchase, i cleaned out the sale at the ace hardware near me. 25 - 40' cords for $4.95 each. anyone else know where to get cords real cheap?

Guest guest
25 - 40' cords for $4.95 each

Isn't that 40 - 25' cords? :)

I know Home Depot had cases of 50' cords for $5.99 each last I looked. Er, $5.99 per cord, not per case.

Tom

Guest guest

I got most of mine yard saling.. get them really cheap.

Guest guest

I buy my cords at Walmart. They usually have 40' green "garden cords" for about $4.88 or something like that. I have a bunch of those, and they hide better than orange!

Guest guest

I did wal mart last year for the 4.88 but they went up to 6.88 here this year. I got home depot for 5.99 with 10%off and they are 10Ft longer than wal mart. Worth the extra dollar from last year because there are some places that the extra was needed and filled with two 6 fter's. Jordan

p.s. My store has atlest 52 because i just returned half of what i bought:shock: Im putting some of my LOR boxes out in the cold.

Guest guest

I make my own. Buy a spool of lamp cord and cut as you need it.

Guest guest

I don't know about everywhere else, but around here, Menards is usually a dollar or two cheaper per cord than anyone else. For about the next week, they are offering 17% off anything you can fit into one of their paper bags that they have in the front of the store. I was just there this afternoon and bought eight rolls of extension cord ranging from 25 to 100 feet and saved about $20.

Guest guest

Sears and home depot has them for that price.

Guest guest

Time to resurrect this topic. I'm looking for 6' cords.

Yesterday I cleaned out Big Lots (5 cords was all they had) which were $.88 each.

Last year Target had some good multi-paks ... stopped there and although they have both Halloween and Christmas out I didn't notice cords.

Wal-Mart was about $1.20 each

Lowe's was about $1.30 each.

Anyone have other sources ... with all the LOR controllers sold this year there's going to be lots of people needing cords!

Get 'em early and get lots!

Guest guest

I just picked up 20 of the 9' cords at Big Lots for $.98 each. They didn't have a whole lot of those left... most of their 9' cords were around $1.50 each.

Guest guest

shawn wrote:

I make my own. Buy a spool of lamp cord and cut as you need it.

I Agree, Then you aren't left with a cord that is way too long, and have to wind it in a circle somewere and tie wrap it.

I believe this ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Guest guest

I don't have tons of money. But isn't $1.50 cheap?

Shawn

Guest guest

shawn wrote:

I don't have tons of money. But isn't $1.50 cheap?

For one cable, sure, that is cheap enough. If you need to buy 50 cables, saving 33% or $25 is worth some degree of effort to find a good price.

It sure doesn't help that the price of copper has sky rocketed in price this last year. Buying wire has doubled in price. The last time I went to buy some romex at Home Depot, I was stunned... in small quantity it was approaching $1/foot. Ouch!!! This also explains why extensions cords have risen in price over the last year.

If you want to roll your own, MECI still has lamp cord in 25' lengths for $1.29 (see http://www.meci.com/index.php/cPath/37_60) Then goto Action Lighting and buy some vampire plugs (http://www.actionlighting.com/Items.asp?Criteria=plug). Special hint: if you use SPT-1 wire, make sure you use SPT-1 vampire plugs. Same for SPT-2.

Making your own extension cords isn't always the cheapest way to go... but at least you're in control of how long they are.

Guest guest

i've found 25' & 50' Cords at the doller store for around 2.50 for 25' and 4.50 for 50' so i thought it was a good deal

-drew

Guest guest

drew10162003 wrote:

i've found 25' & 50' Cords at the doller store for around 2.50 for 25' and 4.50 for 50' so i thought it was a good deal

If they were at the Dollar Store shouldn't they be a Dollar?

P.S. I know somethings are more expensive there I just am making a comment. :D

Guest guest

Try Menards as they often have free with rebate or sales on them this time of year.

Guest guest

If you can find them, the cords meant for Christmas trees works out to a good value. These 16 AWG cords have 3 multi-taps on them every 2 feet. If you crack open the casings, cut the wires, then glue the casings shut again, each cord will yield 3 output connections for your controllers. I found these at Big Lots for $1.00 each. I bought 16 of them, which yielded 48 two-foot leads. I also bought 32 nine foot extension cords at Big Lots and Deal Time for $1.00 each. I mixed and matched the 2' and the 9' cords on my five 16 channel LOR controllers. Total bill for 80 output wires - $48.00

Rick

Attached files 78622=4777-3 tap extension cord.jpg

Guest guest

Here's another vote for remotes to help reduce the amount of extension cords you're having to deal with!

Get your controllers into appropriate boxes and put them out there nearer the action, well secured of course.

I'm also into boating and I've found that an excellent way to power a remote controller are boat "Shore Power Cords". These are 30 amp service cords. They're very flexible and handle the high power loads easily. If there's a marina near you, see if they might have any with damaged ends. (female end damaged ideally). Then just use the cord plus male end to plug into an all weather socket you can get for these. (the same type of socket marinas use next to boat slips)

I wire-tie the CAT5 cable onto these cords and then paint them flat black since they'er bright yellow to start with. :D

Guest guest

Been getting mine at Wally world. Ten bucks for a 100' 16ga. been buying a few at a time. Same price at HD.

Dave

Guest guest

Hey all...

Menards is having a pre-thanksgiving sale. Their 16/3 Extension cords are on sale. 20 footers for $3.00. If you buy $10.00 worth of other merchandise, you can get a $3.00 rebate on up to two cords.

The 40 and 80 footers are also on sale. I think the 40' were in the neighborhood of $5.50.....

Prices are good until 11/20.

Guest guest

Disregard...... Edited for stupidity.....
Sorry

Greg