Light-O-Rama Forums

DIO32/DIO8RLY - 8A/250V Fuses in 16AMP Relay Board?

Stephen Blue

Desperately trying to finish.

I purchased the DIO32 with 2 DIO8RLY daughter boards to turn the static portion of my display on and off with those nice 16 amp relays. However, I'm hooking up and blowing fuses left and right with what should be well less than 15 Amps (3800 minis). I pulled the fuses - the fuses in the board are 8A/250V - 8amp fuses? When I first saw them I thought 8A/250=16A/120... but is this not the case as there's no way I'm blowing 16Amps with whats plugged in. I have a few 15A/120 spares I bought at Home Depot but not nearly enough. Did LOR send me a board with the wrong fuses or is something else just not working right? Can I put what 15A/120 fuses I have in this board and not damage it?

2 weeks behind schedule due to weather/setbacks and desperately trying to light up for Friday's town holiday events :)

Doing an emergency old-fashioned "plug it in" wiring job but really need to know what's going on here.

Thanks,

Panicked Stephen Blue

(CC: Email to LOR Support)

Looking at page 2 of the data sheet here...

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DIO32.pdf

...the board seems to say "Fuses 250VAC 15A" right at the bottom. I'd say they loaded it with the wrong fuses, but check with tech support to be sure.

BTW, if a fuse is rated at 8A, that's 8 amps regardless of the voltage. You're talking about the amount of current passing through the fuse, which is independent of the voltage from that node to ground (or to any other node for that matter).

I just looked at mine, it came with 8 amp fuses also. The board is labled 15amp 240 volt fuses The relays are rated for 16 amps. So 15 amp fuses should be fine.

Why are fuses blowing? Have you confirmed its too much load or possiable wiring faults?

I think all the triac DIO boards are fuse protected at 8A per channel. I'm guessing that somewhere the fact that the relay cards take different fuses was overlooked in production.

After hours email sent to LOR at 6:37PM. Reply received at 7:06PM. 29 minutes for after hours response? Customer service just doesn't get better then that!

Apparently they expected people to be hooking up 18awg wires to these 16amp relays, thus why 8amp fuses were supplied. I guess I truly am crazy when I go cutting 6' 14awg air conditioner cords in half and hooking them up to the board to provide the ultimate computerized power switch for my static display!

Anyhow, replacing with 15amp fuses did the trick... I'm now pulling the loads I expected to be able to pull.

Again, thanks much to Dan for the very quick email reply and explanation.