Light-O-Rama Forums

Do they notice the FM radio sign

ItsMeBobO

mwilliams wrote:

Does that have anything to do with what I presume is your profession?

Not that it's not a great idea, of course!

Kinda. I am also a part time DJ and have a few of those lights laying around somewhere from years ago.

BobO

You should be happy with the black box. I cannot remember one negative post them.

I have one of those Whole House Transmitters - and my front yard slopes downward some, where my garage and my computer are. So, even when I put the tranmitter antenna up on the wall of my garage, I don't think it was high enough. also, the lead wire from the computer to the tranmitter is this really flimsy thing that came with the transmitter, that seems to have no insulation at all, so I was concerned about interference from the computer.

So, I went to Radio shack, and bought this 20 foot long stereo cable for 12 bucks (which had a lot better insultation, Im not sure if that was an issue or not), drilled a hole in the ceiling of my garage, and ran this cable up into the attic on the second floor of my house, about 15 feet higher up. Then I taped the antenna lead onto a rafter in my attic.

The reception is a lot better now. People can hear the music clearly around my circle, and even up the street a little bit too. Much, much better.

I think the higher up you can get the FM signal in the air, the better. Why else do they need those huge towers? Anyway give it a try - I was about to chunk my transmitter into the garbage.

Really nice sign! did you do the design yourself or was it printed on the plexiglass somehow? I would really like to know how to make a sign that looks that nice!

I did one like yours with white letters on red background, but no artwork like yours.

Thanks!

orthoman wrote:

I would really like to know how to make a sign that looks that nice.

I had mine done at a sign shop. They can pretty much print/cut out anything you want on a piece of vinyl (while you wait) and then either have them apply it to the Plexiglas or do it yourself.

The vinyl is sticky on one side, so as you are pulling off the protective covering you use a small squeegee to apply (and remove the air bubbles) it to the Plexiglas.

Mine was 18 x 24 and cost $42.00 (without the Plexiglas).

Actually, It's just regular plexiglass.

I went to the Build-a-Sign website, but instead of ordering a sign, when I did the preview, I hit the "print screen" button on my computer,

pasted it into an Excel file,

stretched it to print in the dimensions of my plexiglass,

taped the printed pages together to make 1 big page,

then used an exacto knife to cut around the design.

Plexiglass come with a protective plastic sheet, so I just peeled away the part I wanted to be red.

I spray painted the front with Krylon Fusion Red.

I spray painted the back with Krylon Fusion White.

Once it was dry, I just peeled off the remaining protective plastic. When lit up from the back, it looks like white lettering on red. Total cost: $12 (because I already had the paint, the wood and the stand).

If it saves you any time, here is a jpg of what I printed.

Attached files 191400=10737-YardSign.JPG

Bob,

If you can get a Tunecast and do a mod it will work. I use a tunecast and get 300 yards with a real good signal. If you get the small power cable that it comes with that is to be used with an I-pod you can either get the power supply or modify it to work with a 12v. battery charger that you can pick up at Harbor Freight. You can use the batteries and will get about 4-6 hours of transmit time with them.

If you have any questions PM me and Ill be glad to help any way I can.

Ed

iresq wrote:

mwilliams wrote: BobO

You should be happy with the black box. I cannot remember one negative post them.

Dang ! That was fast Mobile black box already arrived from California!

Show is back up !

Let me know how you like it, I don't think I like my Gold Edition anymore, it must be mono. Good range, but not good quality.

Bob,

Which one did you get...the E4000?

Please post which one and results if you would.

I too was thinking about upgrading to the E4000.

Thanks!

Ed

Yeah, I would like to know which one you got and how it works. I've got a ramsey FM25B right now, and I am getting enterference all the time with it.

I purchased the Eclipse 4000 for use this year, my first year, and the thing works like a charm. Right out of the box.

They do ship fast too! I've got decent range, just in the neighborhood, and the quality is great. Can't recommed them enough.

-=coasterbp

I also have an Eclipse4000 ordered on a Friday and got it on Monday. If you order an Eclipse....get the magnetic base antenna..I think they even recommend it for better transmitting. I originally got the WHT...and when I pulled it out I thought it was a toy...I couldn't get it to transmit on the only available frequency which was 106.9...all others were being used...TBH...for the extra 20 bucks....it is WAY worth the ability to transmit on ANY channel you want that is open.

I only have one sign but have a spot light on it. I also have 2 wireless speakers that are hooked directly to my computer so If someone comes by and doesn't see the sign or realize they can hear it on their radio, at least they can hear the music from the speakers.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a 2-D snowman that I was able to add 3" black letters with my "tune to" info, then aimed a spotlight at it, and placed it in the corner of the yard, right by the street. But, I also had folks tell me they didn't know about the radio. I guess they get distracted by everything else blinking in the yard and just don't notice it. I plan to make a bigger sign for next year.

I also did the Belkin Tunecast mod. I had the antenna wire stretched out along the window sill, and then used a couple of thumb tacks to keep it straight. I also had an old AC/DC adapter that matched the tip polarity and supplied 9V, so it powered the Belkin just fine. I probably had 100-200 yds range which is plenty for me considering my house is only about 60' from the road.

• The topic was locked