Light-O-Rama Forums

How water resistant are they?

stanward

My experience this year has been --- no so water resistant. I say this because up until this weekend, all 4 CCRs were working just great ---- CAT5e wired together .... no problems. Then, here in the Orlando, FL area --- rain --- I did "wrap" them a little to protect things --- but now, only the first CCR connected to the network is working. I can not seem to "connect" the others so they are "seen" by the Hardware Utility.

If anybody has ideas, great --- but for now, I'll be down to one CCR for a while ... until I can figure this out.

Jim

I am over here in Tampa, with similar rain patterns and both of my CCR's seem to have held up well...no issues with water. I have the wiring going into waterproof box where the controllers are with putty stuffing up the holes into the boxes.

I am curious about condensation getting inside of the CCR themselves? You know, how condensation gets into the curtain strobes?

I can see the controllers aren't water resistant, but I am more worried about condensation with the unit themselves.

I know all of the CCRs work individually, so next step will be to buy another CAT5e wire where I think there might be a problem .... that is the only place I can figure things out .... maybe water killed one ....

Glad to hear others are not having the problem tho --- it could just be my situation

I do not believe the tubes I own have been compromised --- that would only occur if it was damaged. I think my problem is more with one of the CCRs and the related transformer ... we'll see if LOR agrees with my analysis.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about the warrant but I have protected them greatly since my last post and things are better -- I lost one CCR and power supply to the rain. LOR has always been exceptional with their support.

So what was wrong with the other CCR and powersupply? How did you protect them since your last posting????

jcheslin wrote:

Not sure about the warrant but I have protected them greatly since my last post and things are better -- I lost one CCR and power supply to the rain. LOR has always been exceptional with their support.

I misunderstood that when used outside the CCR and power supply must be housed in some kind of box or container so they don't get wet ... to solve the problem fast this year, I used empty plastic jars from Costco that held nuts and have a screw-on lid --- just cut a hole in the lid and put all the electronics inside. I am pretty sure the one that 'died' just shorted out and will need to be replaced. A more custom box/container might be better, but this worked.

I have had no problems due to rain or snow here in Ohio. I placed the controllers and power supplies in Tupperware type food containers and used electrical duct seal to seal the wire openings. (I forgot to put putty on one of the container's wires and got some water inside after the first rain. It did not cause any malfunctions) I highly recommend these ribbons- the performance has been outstanding in my opinion.

The ribbon itself seems pretty well sealed. I won't know for sure how well it's held up untill I take down the display and inspect the ribbon.

I plan on running my display till January 10 th. I will be taking it down after that as weather allows. The ribbons will be one of the first things I take down and I will report on how the strings stood up to the weather.

Steve

stanward wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. Can you please report back when you inspect the ribbon?

Here is what I did with my CCR controller and my FM transmitter (FCC legal), And I have removed the ribbon from the flagpole after a month of being wrapped and its still looks factory and I reinstalled with no problems.

Attached files 194869=10876-100_5460.JPG

I lost one CCR due to moisture but it was my mistake. I used a Folger's coffe can with a hole cut in the lid, inverted and put the big rock on top to hold down. I guess I created a greenhouse as wire 4 turned green and came apart and the ribbon no longer works. My electrician says that wire doesn't do anything and the hardware util see's in sometimes. It is C O L D out there now and we will assess when we get it inside. I guess I need a better box than a coffee can!

The 2 CCR's I slapped up were the highlight of the show. I get nothing but compliments about them.