Light-O-Rama Forums

Man! Do I have a mess on my show...hope you can help! PLEASE

David Barnett

Ok, folks. I finally got my mega tree and minis setup today/night.

I followed my channel property grid for setup, at least I'm 99% sure it's correct.

anyrate fired up the show for testing on the MP3...Oh man...BAd news.

It looks like somne of the Mega stuff is coming on when it should be the minis. I'll have section were the mini's should march across, and only a couple do or none at all. Some of the white mini' aren't coming on at all when they should.

The meaga at times seems to be playing the mini tree parts.

It's all crossed up.

Now here's how we set this up today. First, live in dallas ft. worth area. Been misting/raining all day. Tried my best to ensure plugs were dry before plugging anything in the controllers.

Now that said, I had a animation seq. I ran last night to have lights, forgot to pull the chip; so the animation seq. was playingn while we were hooking up the other lights.

Also, the way the show and contollers ae setup this year, I have 1,2,3 on the left side of the house and 4,5,6 on the right.

Channels 4,5,6 are stictly for the mega tree. Controller 4 Ch1-16=red, Controller 5 1-16=green; and controller 6 ch-1-16 = white. But, as I mentioned, it seems as thought the meag is doing some of the things the minis should be doing a vissa versa.

Now on the daisy chain, LOR told me it didn't matter...so I have Contoller 1 (MP3)....controller 2...controller 3.....contoller 4 ( which is connnect back into the MP3 or controller 1. Then 4...contoller5.......Controller 6.

As I mentioned, the minis and mega are a disaster right now.

So, here is my plan for tommorrow; please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

OH yeah, do I need to do some sort of master rest orsomething to all controllers?

1. Will verify thru channel prop. grid, the mini's are hooked up correctly; by plugging in each connection to a seperate outlet, to ensure it's on the righ contoller channel.

2. Same with the Mega. Oh yeah, after hooking up all the mega channels, with the animation seq. running; I had some Green/White mega tree channels lit. Even though I had none programmed.

3. I'm running 2.6.2 I'll make sure to update all the firmware on the controllers, especially the MP3.

4. Just for giggles, I'll go ahead and redo the daisy chain, were 1-2-3-4-5-6are in order.

5. If there is a master reset,powerdown procedure, I'm willing to do that as well.

OK that's it everyone. If you have anymore ideas, please let me know ASAP.

One last thing, the Cat 5 I'm running from the right side yard to contollers on the left, is a radio shack 100' Cat 5e cable.

Thanks for all your help. I hope to get this straighned out tommorrow and go live tommorrow night.

Happy Holidays Everyone.

Best,

David

Controller order does not matter, aside from the possibility that a bad connection, or noise will take out communication to controllers further down the line, as long as it is one straight line. You don't go back to the same controller twice, or close the loop.

I have a string of 25 controllers on one network. Controller 1 is the absolute far end of the cable. Controller 0x51 is immediately adjacent. The cable between the USB-485-ISO and the first controller is probably 200 feet. Especially late in the chain, there are places where due to conduit runs, there is nearly 200 feet of cable to go 30 feet across the surface. But, nobody is going to trip on it and damage a controller jack.

If you have the Deluxe controllers, make sure there are no standalone sequences downloaded to them.

If you have a USB485(:P or SC485 adapter and a laptop, or other system you can cable to your controllers, try testing through the hardware utility to test if you are getting the lights on that you expect, when you tell a controller and channel to turn on.

I had some really messed up channel configs a few places this year, due to late season changes in controller location, and resulting shifts in channel layout, and a couple where I intended to update the connection spreadsheet to be simpler to follow, but forgot. So the channel config was one way, and the connections were another. It took a while to figure out, and looked like somehow everything was plugged in wrong, but looking at the test sequences a few minutes, I figured out where I was messed up.

I have become a huge fan of having all your sequences for a year based on one master channel configuration, which you use for all sequence files. Even base your test sequences on those base files, so you can import channel configuration files into your test sequences. I have a separate test file for each major element in the show. The 20 mini trees step through all three colors in sequence. The trees step through all colors one channel at a time, then step through the combined red, green, and clear to ensure that the strings are lined up right. Make predictable patterns with just the target elements, so you will spot where things do not line up.

With the MP3 director, I believe you should have the ability to configure multiple shows, and select them with a dial. You might have one show to test the mega tree, one to test the minis, and one for rest of your elements.

By the way, you are correct about the misty miserable bear that the weather has been here the past few days. Saturday was COLD for this part of Texas, Sunday and Monday have been either mild drizzle, or those days with water just hanging in the air. You don't get wet standing still, but if you walk around, you get soaked. Our 48 channel lawn fan has been out the last two days as a result... But the remaining controllers have been just fine.

Hi klb. Well, Ok. Little confused about your statement re hooking up controllers.

You said something to the effect, don't go to the same contoller twice.

In a sense, isn't that what I did? instead of going from what i designated as controller 3 to 4. I chained, 1-2-3.

Then on the right side, I hooked up my 100' cate 5e back to controller 1(MP3) box.

Instead of running the cat from my controller 3-4. Then chaining my 4-5-6.

That is what I maent by my order. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Also, noticed one of the cat5 plaugs on the MP3 controller box, was a little loose. IE were i connected the cat 5. Could this affect my stuff as described.

I'll hook up the laptop to the contollers, updat all firmware and test the circuits.

I'll try the other stuff on my list as well.

Thanks for some insight. Keep the suggestions coming everyone.

best,

David

Hi

boy do i need to read what I write

remove cat5 from box 4 to box 1

install cat5 from box 4 to box 3

Frank A.:P

it is Monday isn't it

Hi Frank, I'm on the same thought as you.

I think I know what the problem is in addition to the cat5 cable!:D

I'll still update everything just to be all together.

But, sometimes it's the easiest thing to overlook.

Talking to my GF this morn and brainstorming, all the sudden it hit me!

I didn't set the unit ID on the new controllers, and the box that was ID 2 during halloween, is now on the right side as contoller 4, for the mega....but it's getting signals for unit id 2 on the mega red channels.

Dohhh...slapping forehead!:P

So, hopefully my faux pas will help someone else at some point.

Thanks again for the suggestions..set unit ID's (he says to himself still slapping head).

Will let ya know later how things go. Still yuccky here in big d, so should be able to see lights pretty clearly.

best,

David

Hi

do not sit close to your GF when brainstorming

my wife has been head slapping me all season for my

messed up wiring this year

Frank A.:P

One thing I find helpful each year is I have a "suite" of test sequences. One of them just goes through the mini tree, turning each on in sequence for about a second. Another goes through each color of the mega tree, 'spinning' it, then turning all of that color on for a few seconds, and moves onto the next. Another sequence just exercises the "Merry Christmas" sign, etc.

It's much easier to figure out channel config and wiring problems this way then running an actual musical sequence.

Just a thought, for those who haven't already figured this out :P

Id's are easy to miss.

After changing the ID connect it back into the network, do not care about ID # order.

Start up the Hardware Utility and do a Refresh of the Controllers.

If you have all your ID's unique to each controller then you should see in the pull down window all your controller with there ID #'s and version #'s of the firmware.

Do not be concerned about the firmware numbers right now if they are different.

If everything is correct the next step is to exit the Hardware utility. Start up the Sequence Editor, load a sequence, Then go to Tools>Channel Property Grid, and in the bottom left hand corner will be a print button. This will print all your channels and how they are assigned or not.

Exit the sequence editor and go back to the Hardware Utility and again do a refresh. On the bottom of the H/W window is a button called "Console" You will see a nice window of slider controls come up and a dual thumb switch at the bottom. The thumb switch is the controller ID number you will be checking and should be at 01. The sliders (16) are the channels on that controller. Advancing the thumb switch to 02 you can check that controller assignments 16 channels, etc.

Now you can use your printout and sliders to check your channels assignments and add or correct your Configuration printout. Just mark the changes on the printout and then go back to the Sequence Editor and open your sequence again and then Tools>Channel Property Grid again and make your corrections. After that you can do a Edit>Channel Property Grid> Export Channel Property Grid and save it in a new name, then you can Import this into all your other sequences.

I would check the first sequence to make sure everything is right before importing the new LCC file into the other sequences.

I know there is other ways to do this, but this is the way that works for me.

David Barnett wrote:

Thanks everyone. Channel ID's seem to be the culprit. Everyhting is checking out GREAT now.

makin progress. :P

Best,

David

I'm glad you found and resolved your problem.

At home, I have a near fool proof way to get one or two units out there with the wrong ID. I build the new units, set them with the ID they will need in the fall, label them as such, and put them away.. Then some time closer to when the show starts, I need controllers 1 & 2 for some demo, or volunteer recruiting booth. I always use my hardware for it, instead of the city hardware. Usually controller 1&2 are bolted to the side of the house, usually playing Halloween. So I grab two of the new ones, and reprogram their ID as 1 & 2, and forget to set them back, until things don't work right later...

It's FIXED!:P

Thanks everyone. Shows looking great. The contoller ID's fixed everything.

Note to self, don't try and push myself when tired,cold,wet and hungry.

You miss the obvious. :D

Thank again evryone. Show will go LIVE tonight! Yeahhhh!!!

Happy Holidays

Best,

David

Glad to hear it's up and running. I'd like to share a tip. To test the channels to see if all of them are setup correctly with the light stands I wanted, I created a test sequence. First start by recording an audio file of you saying the names of the channels (and any description you've given them {"Unit 2, channel 4, garage door green lights"}). Create a musical sequence with your audio file. Have each channel light at each description. Sit in the yard and watch your channels describe themselves and note which ones aren't correct. This helps to identify any light strands are plugged into the wrong controller or channel.

I have never changed the unit # of a controller once initially set. It's so easy to change things in the software if necessary...

Hi Frank. Yes, I swapped the cable as well to keep things in order.

main thing, I believe was the controller ID's.

Just spent almost an hour waching my 9 songs. Big Grin:D on my face the whole time.

I guess for me, the novelty hasn't worn off. I get blown away by my sequences and edits of other sequences for our home.

Especially the Mega tree. Just looks so cool. Looking forward to getting vids soon.

Thanks again for your kind assistance frank and ALL.

Happy Holidays

Best,

David