Light-O-Rama Forums

Music Shifting

minnesota bob

I need a fast fix. I am writing a music sequence and I have some critical timing areas. it seems like the music is shifting around relative to the timing of the track. Some times it leads and sometimes it lags were I actually placed it after I have edited other areas of the sequence. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am using an mp3 file edited in wavepad and saved at a CBR. I am also developing the sequence online and watching the lights along with the editor and the editor and lights are in time with each other. It's just the music and the editor that get out of sync.

Yes I am playing back the visible screen portion of the sequence only.

from another post:

This document is probably a little [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]out[/highlight] of date, but you want to be sure your audio files are constant bit rate. If they are not, using play visible range, or any other method than full sequence may cause the audio and sequence played to be [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]out[/highlight] of [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]sync[/highlight] as compared to when played in full.

This document describes how to convert a file to constant bit rate MP3 format.

http://lightorama.com/Documents/Audacity_Lame_128Kbps.pdf

I normally convert my MP3 to a WAV format to sequence with (because of the sync issues) then import the MP3 back in when I am done editing the sequence.

The CBR is Constant Bit Rate In the above statement ( I should have stated that before... Opps). I did set it.

However, I did use an MP3 file to edit the sequence with. So is that what everyone uses in the sequence editor is a WAV file. I have never seen any information on what format is best for use and I can convert to nearly anything. So what is best

Hi Bob,

Most people seem to favor WAV files for sequencing and then converting the file to MP3 for running the show. Personally I use nothing but MP3 files, processed through Audacity (with the lame editor installed) at a constant bit rate, and I've never had a problem with timing during sequencing or during shows.

If you're using Audacity you can export a file as either a WAV or MP3. If you export two versions - one each WAV and MP3 - then you can switch back and forth easily. Just make sure that you make NO CHANGES AT ALL to the file between exporting it as one and then the other.

minnesota bob wrote:

I am useing wavepad and I have then saved as wav and mp3. I can't switch them in the sequence editor because the media file menu dosn't seem to do it.

I always thought it didn't switch either...

try saving it...closing it down, then reopening it back up..and I think you will see the new file.

Also note that there have been reports in the past of tools claiming to save as CBR, and not really doing it. The issue is that LOR tells WMP to play starting at X time.. For most purposes, it is not remotely critical. For LOR it really matters. Generally WMP just multiples the bit rate times the time requested and starts there. On a VBR file, any variance in bit rate never gets accounted for, causing an offset. With a wave file, there is no known risk of WMP starting noticeably off from where it was requested to play. mp3 files written with Audacity generally work quite well as well.

Thanks guys, I will try to reopen and develop the program in WAV. It sounds like that is it. I tried to edit the program again last nite and everytime I did the music shifted after the edits and I could never get it to sequence consistantly. It was like the music was always starting in a different location everytime I started it (using "play visible screen).

I have an update in case anyone at LOR is monitoring. There is a problem with the software as Jimswinder mentioned above. When you switch media files in a sequence, using the media file menu, It does not look like anything is changed. The wave display at the top of the screen does not even switch to the new file so it appears the old file is still loaded. If you play the sequence with the new file in it the new media file will play but it still indicates the old one is in it.

Thanks Jim

and now onto the timing.

Second update. I have been using the new WAV file (once I new it was getting loaded) I created in Wavepad and it seems to be holding much better. I seem to be sequenced properly.

Thanks klb.

Moral of the story. Use WAV extension files for music in sequencers and the media file menu is working it just looks like it isn't so you have to save, close and reoopen a file after you change a media file in a sequence.

Thanks everyone.

New update, It didn't work but it did improve. It seems to be very related to the file and the constant bit rate. Does anyone at LOR have a recomendation for what file format is best to use. I have a lot of options to save files at but I don't know what the differences are. I can save the bit rate and frequencies etc. What is the best for LOR?