Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole House Freq question

JediKnight2

I see that the Whole House FM Transmitter goes from like 106.7 to 107.9...my problem is that we have a few channels in that range....the ONLY channel is like 107.1 and I can BARELY hear some bleed thru from another channel....is the performance of this unit good enough to go over that? Reason I ask is I am LATE doing this and if I need to have another FM transmitter...I need to get it on its way.

I use the WHT. Some people have not had good luck with it but, I have not had any negative issues. You may want to try to move the transmitter to a couple of different areas for better results. It seems that the higher and closer to the viewing area works best for most. Mine is under the front eve of the house. Also, use the power adapter not the USB power cord.

I also purchased a Whole House Transmitter, and discovered the same problem when it arrived...all the channels that it allows you to transmit on were unusable...either because of bleed over from a nearby station on a neighboring frequency or a distant transmitter that had just enought signal to override the WHT. I could get a good signal in my front yard, but that was about it.

Not having time to build a Ramsey, I ordered a mobileblackbox Eclipse-4000. Just a bit more expensive at $135 with shipping. It's mostly working well...the stereo is fading in and out a bit, but that might just mean some adjustments are needed on my part. I just haven't had time to figure it out 'cause I've been so busy with other things, and I can live with a mono signal if need be. At least there is no interference from other stations. I'm using 87.7, as that part of the FM band is wide open where I'm at.

If you need something quick, I'd have to say the Eclipse-4000 came amazingly fast...I ordered it online on black Friday at like 5pm, and the thing showed up Monday afternoon. I couldn't believe it!

HLLY tansmitters are pretty cheap and shipping was only about 4 days when I ordered mine. Here's a link to their ½watt transmitter. It's $72

http://www.hllye.cn/html/fm_transmitter_1_43.html?currency=USD&products_id=43

They have all sorts of different wattages to choose from, but you would probably want to stay with lower wattage to keep it legal. I got one with an external antenna and cable and it sounds fantastic for a couple of blocks in any direction.

I had been using this transmitter from CCRANE.COM for the past 2 years, but I thought it was time to upgrade. ($70)

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter.aspx

I too had the same problem...wouldn't even transmit out to my driveway right next to the house.

I bought a Ramsey and it is very nice...especially when yo u can pick any frequency you want.

But.,...it is a FULL kit...took me three nights to put it together, but I think If I had a full day to do it, it could have been done.

Yeah...I got a MobileBlackBox Eclipse-4000 coming....

They have the 200 dollar one on sale for half off but...I think it's because nobody is buying it as its mono only..which sucks. I'll send the one that doesn't work back...

throw your whole house transmitter in the trash. i had the same problem. the signal that was available could only get out to the edge of the road. i got the mobile black box. it works great and shipped within a week. i bought the Orion 5000 and i have no problem reaching where i want to.

smeade67 wrote:

HLLY tansmitters are pretty cheap and shipping was only about 4 days when I ordered mine. Here's a link to their ½watt transmitter. It's $72

http://www.hllye.cn/html/fm_transmitter_1_43.html?currency=USD&products_id=43

They have all sorts of different wattages to choose from, but you would probably want to stay with lower wattage to keep it legal. I got one with an external antenna and cable and it sounds fantastic for a couple of blocks in any direction.

I had been using this transmitter from CCRANE.COM for the past 2 years, but I thought it was time to upgrade. ($70)

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter.aspx

I use the same one! But Mines black and I got it on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-5w-Fm-transmitter-PLL-87-108Mhz-radio-Broadcast-kit_W0QQitemZ220512432350QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335790b0de

Attached files 191534=10746-204033697.jpg

I love the MobileBlackBox. Had a question about a hum and range in to Support and they have fixed it PRONTO...basically a different antenna swap at really no cost to me...I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Well, don't get a Ramsey. I have a Ramsey FM100B and I have moved it all over the house and yard and can only get 25-30 feet of range. I have added an external antenna even, no luck. Worst purchase this year!

Guest Don Gillespie

Best purchase I made was today from Radio shack cost me $57.00 for FM transmitor took it home hooked it up can't believe the traffic tonight made a rinky dinky sign hung it in the window the temp here is - 35 pluged it into my head phone jack on my computer the range is unbelievable its called a Centrios digital FM Transmitter getting a couple hundred yards which is perfect for the show. no antena needed don't worry about frequency you can set it to what you want couldn't be easier.