Light-O-Rama Forums

Reverse Lighting Sequence

mcascio

Just wondering if anyone has tried doing a sequence to music that uses the opposite approach of turning lights off to the beat of the music rather than on. So you would initially start your sequence with every light on instead of off.

I've found my home looks really great when all the lights are on. So I thought this might actually look better than turning lights on.

mcascio wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has tried doing a sequence to music that uses the opposite approach of turning lights off to the beat of the music rather than on.  So you would initially start your sequence with every light on instead of off.

I've found my home looks really great when all the lights are on.  So I thought this might actually look better than turning lights on.

Not on that scale, but many of my chases on the mega-tree, mini-trees, arches, etc are "most on" instead of "most off". I, too, like a full display.

I'd like to see what you come up with...

In art that's what they call using "negative space". Some of the early abstract computer animations had that quality, although it was often unintentional.

My guess is that it will feel weird well because the eye naturally reacts to light, not the the absence of light. You should try it out with a Stevie Wonder song.

I, too, use this technique for some mini and mega tree chases. Along the same lines, I have certain elements (other than static) that I usually leave on between songs to prevent a totally dark display. I guess these are typically static elements until called upon to be animated.

I have used the technique also on the house lights in some of my sequences to break up the patterns in a song.

I use the technique some in my sequences, however I found that turning every light on will make a display often look "too bright"..

I put enough lights of each color on things so that color alone looks good and if you light them all up the colors are not noticeable.. but there are a lot of times when turning lights off to the beat makes a really neat effect...

however if you turn them right back on right away after the beat it can give the viewer the sense that your sequence "missed" because most people are trained to assume light on with the beat, off after the beat is gone....

-Christopher

Thanks for all the responses.

I think it also comes down to just finding the right song to do it to. Many songs start a little light and then build up, which makes sense for the traditional way of turning on more and more lights as opposed to the reverse.

There were some good tips though provided here.