Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for videos of 16-channel contolled lights (LOR)

Guest guest

Zac_Cutt wrote:

Hi, thanks for the comment.

From memory the breakdown:

12 megatree slices
1 white mega tree outline / wireframe scene
1 strobes
1 radio station sign (doesnt do anything in the show)
1 ease lights and floods.

Next year I will have a total of 160 channels although only about half are for my display.

Zac

I thought you had bought a lot during the sale. Thank for the info, I really appreciate you and the others sharing. Chuck says to crawl, walk, run and that's what we do with 16 channels is crawl.

After seeing everyone's video, I am thinking bigger. I didn't imagine I could do so much!

If there are any other shows using 16 channels please share.

Michael B

contactmike1 wrote:

Here are two impressive videos sequenced by Kenneth Ratajczak, and he definitely receives my vote for getting the most mileage out of 16 channels. Sorry, I don't have videos of the actual display, but here is what the animation window looks like:

Wizards in Winter
Sleigh Ride by Boston Pops

Thanks,

They were very well sequenced. Hopefully we will see a video of them soon. I liked some of the effects. I have a lot to learn and a short time to get there! :}

Michael B

Hi. My first animated display last year used only 16 channels, and I was pretty pleased with the overall results. You can see my video here:
http://homepage.mac.com/dougkramer/Christmas/iMovieTheater18.html

I didn't encode it as WMV, so you'll need QuickTime to view it, but hopefully that's not a barrier for you. I've received a number of compliments. In my own humble opinion, it's not necessarily how many channels you have, but rather how you use them. Think "stage show" lighting - like you were illuminating a rock concert, not like you are creating a cartoon out of pixels.

Hope that helps! Above all... just have fun!!

d

Cosmodog,

You are most excellent!

I liked it!

What was the solid white lights by the house on the ground. They were almost like keys on a piano.

Could you please tell us which channels had what lights on it?

Great job!

I have my job cut out for me.

Michael B

Thanks for the nice words. The white strips were initially supposed to be "snow" on the ground, but I couldn't get it to work out how I wanted, so they just became strips of white. Each was simply four strands of 100 bulb minis, set off the ground with little pieces of a dowel used as stakes to prevent moisture build up. The yard is longer than it looks in the video.

Let's see if I can remember the channels. It was something like this:

1. Roofline Icicles
  2. "North Pole" assortment near house - tree, sleigh, globe lights, etc.
  3. Right side window, bushes, polar bear
  4. White strip 1
  5. White strip 2
  6. White strip 3
  7. Mini tree group 1
  8. Mini tree group 2
  9. Mini tree group 3
  10. Mini tree group 4
  11. Foreground snowflakes
  12. Red bush 1
  13. Red bush 2
  14. Red bush 3
  15. Red and White tree
  16. Candy Canes
  17. Snow Globe and Santa Pop-up were "always on"

Also, since I got started so late, I couldn't get LOR equipment, so I made my own out of DMX controllers and MIDI sequencing software. Fades and other effects will be much smoother this year with LOR :D

d

Joe, I will gladly meet your terms and will send you your LOR boxes. You will have to pay for shipping however , which will be about $325. :shock:

Doug,
I had to update my quicktime to view your video but finally watched it. I think our styles are similar. After 15 years of being a Sound tech with bands , I look at it like stage lighting also. Set a scene and add effects and accents.

Thank you if you have posted your shows on the thread.

I noticed in the Newbie Forum, they have been asking about 16 channels, transmitters and speakers.

How do you transmit your music? What kind? If Speakers, where do you put them and any weather proofing?

We would love to see any other videos of 16 channels.

Any other info you could add to help a Newbie LOR user.

Dan any advice?

I have a little advice: Make sure you visit the LOR Support website:

http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

There are great how to's there.

Also, Don has created a fabulous LOR WIKI:

http://www.lorwiki.com/en/index.php/Main_Page

This is everyone's Wiki. There is a wealth of LOR info here.

I hopes this helps.

Michael B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Zac,

The quality of your Mega tree was outstanding. I liked the different effect that made the tree look like it was spinning. The floods and strobes were really cool! Could you tell us what was on each channel?

Didn't you order a big purchase from LOR this year or was that Daniel?

Zac, I'm impressed with what you did. You are really talented. :dude:

Michael B

Im Guessing that it was Zac! All I got was an extra 16D controller.

The original question- 16 channel movies? Sorry I have only 8 channel available now, and 24 comming up so I missed it!:laughing:

Joe- What if I was using that effect first? I know I posted or said in the chatroom that I would have everything covered by all three colors, with the white having a finer "dpi" :) So if I DID come up with the idea first and you just copied it from me than, I get whatever profets you get plus 10 %! LOL

J/K

--Daniel L

Using Chasers, in the old days (1999, 2000) I used only 16 circuits with music, however due to burned up relays, I could only use about 11 circuits total. In this video you can see almost 1/2 acre covered with lights. Chasing lights and techniques allow you to do much much more with fewer circuits and cover a really big area.

This is the original Beethoven's 5th Disco sequence. Since I uploaded my sequence onto Dasher's User Group web page, others have downloaded it and its become a part of many other people's shows and still plays in displays around the world.

http://palmgarden.org/beetoven.wmv

Michael B wrote:

mike wrote:
OK Newbie question.

If you have 20 strobes on one channel, how do they fire at different times?
Mike

Here is a thread that might help. Make sure you read Bill V's post at the bottom.

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=6568&forum_id=13&highlight=strobes

Michael B

Thanks Michael

I guess I wasn't thinking right. I was thinking for some reason that it would only flash when triggered, but that wouldn't be a strobe now would it. DUH

Mike

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Using Chasers, in the old days (1999, 2000) I used only 16 circuits with music, however due to burned up relays, I could only use about 11 circuits total. In this video you can see almost 1/2 acre covered with lights. Chasing lights and techniques allow you to do much much more with fewer circuits and cover a really big area.

This is the original Beethoven's 5th Disco sequence. Since I uploaded my sequence onto Dasher's User Group web page, others have downloaded it and its become a part of many other people's shows and still plays in displays around the world.

http://palmgarden.org/beetoven.wmv

Joseph,

That is a lot of lights for for only 11 circuits. That was a great example of sequencing. When I see you on the 24th I will ask you about it.

Thanks for sharing.

Michael B