Light-O-Rama Forums

Editing larger sequences down

larryk

I'm trying to modify a sequence to make it work for me using 32 channels instead of something larger. I thought I would be able to change the channel property grid from one unit to my current unit. For example, if a sequence is using Unit 7 circuit 2 and I change it to Unit 2 circuit 10 it doesn't work. How do you "dumb" down large sequences to make them work? Do I need copy and paste what is in those channels to my channels?

Thanks.

If it was me, I'd create a new sequence with the number of channels in my yard and then cut and paste from the one with more channels. You can easily skew the new sequence either right or left to match up with the music, and using a new sequence that has only your own channels (and channel assignments) greatly lessens the potential for problems and conflicts.

The way I would do it is to open up the larger sequence, and then do a "Save as" to a different file name.

Insert the number of blank channels at the top that equates to your display (32), then import your configuration which will fill in the channel names and assignments in your 32 channels at the top.

Then start copying and pasting different rows (channels and effects) from the original sequence (at the bottom of the file) up to the blank channels at the top, matching your display elements. When you get it to where you want it to be, perhaps adding some of your own programming as well, then delete the channels below from the "other" display.

You'll be left with your 32 channels, properly configured, and properly programmed. Save and exit, you're done....

Along with Randy's suggestion (add channels to the top and import configeration, then copy and paste from the below channels you want). When you are done you could end up with a hundred or more channels to delete (if working from a large display sequence). When done try opening a new sequence blank sequence, add the media file, Copy the timeing (only) form one of the original channels and past the timing into the blank file, then copy the channells you created at the top of the work sequence as a single copy and paste. then save the new sequence. (pevents the line by line delete.

Just one more suggestion.

jerrymac wrote:

(pevents the line by line delete.

Is there any way to delete more than one line at a time, If not, can we get that added to the next beta?

Is it really necessary for me to delete the other channels since they're not being used anyway. This way when I add more channels next year I can add them in. I've done one sequence using Randy's idea and man it worked out great.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry:

I agree with what jerrymac said as it does save quite a bit of deletion time. So many of the large sequences have mirrored elements. For instance a guy might have a mega tree spinning as well as mini trees dancing to the same chase, or arches both across the drive and elsewhere doing the exact same thing. It's just so easy to drag and click the first row of the channels to copy and click edit-rows-etc and move them to your new sequence. I went to 64 channels this year and tried the add channels to the front of an exsisting sequence method and I think it was 192 channel sequence to start. So I had 256 channels to scroll through. It works fine but once you have moved what you want you still need to delete those original channels.

Also with the move to new sequence method I don't know if you are aware of it but you don't have to use the same exact grid. You can say set yours up in .05 or .010 or what you want and transfer the channels to yours. An effect my start up in the middle of a cell box but that isn't a problem even if you want to make adjustments as that brief variance is not going to be noticeable outside. I did a few where I set my sequence up on an .05 fixed grid so I could set my own chases or spins on my arches or mega tree and still used the elements I liked off the imported sequences. This works well if the sequence is less channels then your own but you still like to use it but have room to fill. You can also copy and past elements from more than one sequence by the way. The system is really user friendly.

Lenny

Hi Larry,

One more comment. Deleting channels, renaming them, etc. is easier from the Channel Property Grid (Tools, Channel Property Grid from within the sequence).

Your question about whether the channels at the bottom need to be deleted? I suppose they don't, but at the very least I would go in and remove the LOR controller assignment from each channel to eliminate confusion and possible conflicts down the road when you expand. I suppose you don't really have to do that now, but it just makes it cleaner down the road and eliminates the possibility that you could have overlapping controller assignments.

Thanks, Randy

Having suffered from almost all of this last year, I can say the advise already given is EXCELLENT!

I did a bunch of line by line deletes last year, painfully, turning my brain into mush ... only to later discover the Channel Property Grid (too late). The copy paste tricks are also new to me, so thanks!

I also think creating new channels at the top, then importing the config is critical to know/understand.