Light-O-Rama Forums

Showtime and Hobbyist

Guest guest

The "Hobbyist" version could be considered the 'do it yourself' version of LOR, while the "Showtime" version could be considered 'plug and play.'

The Showtime version comes with everything you need to get started. The LOR Board, an enclosure, and power cords. The Hobbyist version comes only with the LOR board. You have to mount the LOR board into an enclosure, and hook up power cords to the board.

The hobbyist version lets you customize the enclosure and power cords to your needs. If you have a basic understanding of electricity, and some free time, the hobbyist version can save you money over the showtime versions.

Both versions use the same controllers inside, and are 110% interchangeable.

I originally purchased the hobbyist 8 channel boards (4 of them). The next year I purchased 4 of the 16 channel showtime boxes. This year I purchased 8 of the 16 channel hobbyist boards because I wanted to put 32 and 64 channels in a single location.

The only difference, as stated in a previous post, is that the showtime is prepackaged for you. Dollar wise it can come out really close but in my specific case I wanted to build a much higher channel count than the 16's.

The other reason I started building my own enclosures is so that I could "hide" them. This year I made big presents out of the boxes. Sort of a hidden in plain sight kind of thing. Just just don't look like what they are.

So, either way you are in good shape. It may just be me, but it also seems like generally it's easier to get the hobbyist products when they are having constraints than the showtime ones - but that may have just been a one time thing.

Gary Day wrote:

Dollar wise is can come out really close

That varies wildly depending on how much you pay for enclosures and cord ends. I made my enclosures for around $10 each, but they're not as nice as the Showtime boxes, which are built like a tank. Gets the job done, though...

-Tim