Light-O-Rama Forums

LORsequences.com Redesign

michael.farney

Mike, I know William being the consumate professional he is, may have already given you all the advice you need.

If so that's great. If not, or if you need more information, feel free to shoot me an email, and I'll send you my phone number. We can cover much more ground verbally, much faster than my slow fingers could ever type...

As you may recall I spent significant time, not to mention $$, going through the legal channels to make sure the Holiday Lights DVD series I produced did not violate any laws relative to copyright issues.

The issues you are facing are the same. My workaround of course was different, and would not apply to what you need, but what I learned might just help you out.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Love the site and thank you for doing it!

I would agree that adding a field for the number of channels would be helpful - mostly as a search criteria.

If you can add a field for a video link, that too would be cool to see the sequence as it was designed.

If it were me, I would simply have contributors provide a link to the audio clip on a legal download site - like amazon. Then, you could inject a referral ID and make a penny or two for each song purchased. You deserve the right to make a referral fee for generating business for the music download! You can have an additional check box for EXACT MATCH or close match to alert downloaders.

a way around making YOU liable for the copyright stuff is for people who upload sequences to include their emails for people to contact them for the audio OR for the submitter to provide a link to THEIR website with a link to the audio for the file they submit...like http://mysite.com/audio and then have a list of their audio for what they submit

Michael:

I agree with GaryBo. With what the majority of us pay for lights, controllers and the related goodies the cost of a song is minimal. I did 30 sequences this year, most after you and I had our sitdown up here at the mini. Of course I got some sequences off your site to look at and use some pieces of and I think it's great. For sure I would make the requirement very addamately that IF you are downloading a sequence to the site to include the artist, and album along with EXACT length. As far as going and finding the music I had issues with one song, period. Off the Polar Express track, Josh Grobans Believe and ended up getting it from another member. I didn't worry about them being 100% synced up because I used the wave at the top and adjusted sections that where off accordingly. As long as the total length matched I went with it.

All I had to do was Google free MP3 download and name the song and I usually had 3 or 4 choices. On the RARE occasion one wasn't free it was .99 or less

Hope to see you at the mini again this year, or at Carries Labor Day weekend. The wife is fighting me on that one though. Doesn't understand if we have one here why I need to Chcago also...

Lenny

• 3 weeks later...

If I already own the song, whether I bought it on tape or ripped it from a CD I own, isn't it legal to then obtain a differently timed (or editted) copy of it, being fair use? Anyone, anyone? Beuller? :P

I have used your site, often to see just how someone sequenced a particular part of a song. I think putting the sequences in groups like Halloween, July 4th, Christmas, New Year's and misc. would help. Having the number of channels displayed before opening the download is imperative. Like the others, song title, artist, maybe length of song is important, but I don't think you should add the audio portions. If the song was edited, say so. If the uploader wants to share his audio, let them provide an email address to that fact.

In any case, your site has provided an immense instructional help to many and to me, especially the one on Zara. Keep up the great work.