Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2009

CLD Kevin

Perfect! Thanks so much Kevin for the info and the pic. I ended up ordering the 13mm rope so we'll see how that goes. Like TJ I got confused when I went to order mine. I started with trying to get 10mm orange and they only had 13mm, then I switched to white and forgot to switch back to 10mm. TJ had a great hint of turning them on and letting the tubes heat up a bit first before shaping them. I think my rope will show up tomorrow. I'm going to have to struggle with the 3ft sections as I wasn't dilligent enough when I ordered to check the segments length. Oh well.. guess I'll just make them bigger :D. As far as your sequences goes, did you share them with anyone last year before the break in? If so, possibly you could hit them up to send you back a copy of them. I'm working on MM and thriller, so I'd be happy to share them back with you when I'm done. I'm sure they won't be as good as your original, because I don't have all the other lights on the house like you but it may be a good starting point.

Tech question. For all your movements, did you just use fullon/fulloff or did you do dims? I know there are dimming of faces up just before singing etc, but was wondering during the sequences.

BTW, the wife loves your video's..but hates you for getting me interested in Halloween! She thought Christmas was bad enough..hehe.

boborino wrote:

Tech question. For all your movements, did you just use fullon/fulloff or did you do dims? I know there are dimming of faces up just before singing etc, but was wondering during the sequences.

Good question. My first year everything was full on/off...no fading for the singing parts because the changes were so quick that the fades didn’t look right...kinda had a trace effect. Now I using a partial fade, but it depends on the words. Fast moving works are just full on/off. Slower I use the partial fade.

You wording what’s a ”partial fade”?? All my seq timing is set to 0.05. So if I fade down with a word and fade up with the other, I cut the ends of each fade and only share 1 common cell together. This is only because the change is so quick, there is no time for longer fades. And the fades are only 3 or 4 cells long. Also, I think its looks better to have the mouth start and end with the mouth closed (smile) instead of starting or ending/fading with the mouth already open. In the middle of the choirs ending, I have it change to close as I’m fading. I’m not sure if I’m explaining it right. Wish I know how to capture what my sequence looks like and save it as a pic file so I could show you and point it out.

Kevin

Kevin,

First off, welcome back!! Your absence was very noticed! Secondly, you really have inspired a lot of people with this prop, for that, we all thank you!

I've mine built, patterned after yours, only exceptions (what I should have checked before) are the CDI sections are 36" between cuts instead of 18" :( That made it a little tough to get the right length in place.. and my face sizes are 6' and 4'. I used 13mm orange rope that seems to work ok. I reworked the file I got off http://www.lorsequences.com (I think it was yours) to add the second face (chorus) to the same sequence, making it 14channel.. uploaded to that site.. http://lightoramaseq...ileinfo/id,497/

For the two other faces, I'll just plug them into the same channels so they all sing the same, and utilize the remaining two channels to make the eyes blink more randomly between the three chorus faces.

Here's a pix of the large face I built.. Small faces I'll get to next week..

TJ

Attached files 209545=11671-MyLargeFace.jpg

Kevin dude! Welcome back to the forums! I echo TJ's comments. Your videos have been very inspirational. As far as showing your sequences, just do an ALT Printscreen, bring up MSPAINT, then do a paste and save it as JPG or BMP. I've attached a sample of mine. I'm having to go back and rebuild the main face of this squence because my original sequence was for a different face layout. I may should just start over :(

TJ.. your face looks great! Have you powered it up in dark yet? I bet the orange looks great! Keep it up.

Attached files 209579=11673-prntscreen.jpg

Here's a snap shot of one of the sequences I'm working on now. I think the singing/talking looks better when you start with the mouth closed and end/fade with the mouth closed, but only applies when the singing part is short. For continuous singing, the best option is full on/off...but also throw in a few fades here and there.

TJ...those are not my sequences on lorsequences.com

Kevin

Attached files 209586=11676-snapshot.jpg

Oh, ok, then whoever u/l'ed the sequences to lorsequences.com, thank you for all of us! I added the second face (chorus) for Thriller, using channels 9-15 and u/l'ed it back up to the website it's the very first one in S2 New Submissions. I went thru Thriller, MonsterMash and Ghostbusters tonight, fixed the upper lip that was missing in the pieces.. I'll u/l them again once the second face is added..

Here's a quick pix of the large face..

I have uploaded the 3 videos I have to my youtube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/skygodtj). I added them to my FaceBook video page, but I'm guessing not too many here have a FB acct :)

Attached files 209592=11678-PF-AllMouths.jpg

I noticed some serious lag on YT, but you get the idea...

Ghostbusters:
http://www.youtube.com/user/skygodtj#p/u/6/2-qs5bF1apc

Ghostbusters exerpt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPrvpiqiY8o

MonsterMash:
http://www.youtube.com/user/skygodtj#p/u/7/il9erw8SP1c

my fav, Thriller:
http://www.youtube.com/user/skygodtj#p/u/6/QWCYIVy2rlU

A quick note of the frame construction (mine anyway)..

I made my large frame 6x6.. I first cut all the legs to 24" but that ended up making the 6' frame 6' 4" and the cow fencing wouldn't fit correctly.. so I had to knock down all the frames and cut a bit off each leg.. I ended up making a quick jig and cut all the legs to a pencil-lead-width under 23", then with the 90's and T's in place, the frame centers were right at 48" for the fencing. Just for those who havent built yet ..

teege

TJ..that's the sequence I started with also. I'm going through the entire solo and fixing it as well, because I noticed a lot of O's where eh or ah should be. I already have the chorus done if you want to take a look at it. I've never uploaded a sequence, so if you PM me your email I'll send you what I have so far.

We should be working together to re-create the great halloween show that Kevin got us all sucked into.

Has anybody started "This is Halloween"? If not, that one is my favorite. I have done it once, but not to this degree.

Does somebody have the basic four face *.lcc file to start with? Post it and I'll start programming.

There's one on lorsequences.com but it's uses an editted version of the song.

I uploaded the three sequences I editted, Thriller, MonsterMash and Ghostbusters.. I just added the upper lip where it was missing to them. The one 14channel Thriller I u/l'd still has to be fixed (upper lip added) the second 7 channels of it is a chorus face and it needs the lip too. I fixed the others by just turning on the upper lip for the whole sequence, and turning it off where the mouth is middle or round..

Ok, I made the modified MP3 file "This is Halloween". It has the shorten "opening" sound track #2 (like Kevin's) and is merged in to one audio file.

Hey Cracker, You have a fantastic Halloween setup.... I was wondering, how did you make the lights on the roof outline chase? Thx. Bernie :cool:

Bernie wrote:

Hey Cracker, You have a fantastic Halloween setup.... I was wondering, how did you make the lights on the roof outline chase? Thx. Bernie :cool:

Its split into 2 sections...left side and right. Each color has 3 channels on the left and 3 channels on the right. 6 channels per color X 3 colors = 18 channels. Because I used orange, red and blue, I spaced each bulb 3” apart or each color 9” apart. So it would go like this:

ORN1 -----3”-----RED1-----3”-----BLU1-----3”----ORN2----3”----RED2----3”----BLU2-----3”-----ORN3-----3”-----RED3----3”----BLU3-----3”----ORN1----3”----RED1----3”---- ect

I had 9 stings on each side for a total of 18 strings. Orange1 would be on its own string with 27” spacing between each bulb. Same with Orange2 and Orange3. I tie-wrap the 3 strings together spacing each bulb 9” apart in order. You want the bulbs in order like 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1 ect. I repeated for Red and Blue. Once I had all 3 colors ready, I mounted Orange all the way across the roof, then Red and Blue keeping the 3” spacing between each color. I have rain gutters so I was able to use the gutter clips on each bulb to hold everything in place and in a neat straight line. Something like 400 gutter clips and lots of strings. Gutters were full.

I custom made all my strings to fit my needs. Standard strings are 12” apart and seem to far apart to get a good chasing effect. But then again it might be okay. Hope I explain clearly?

Kevin

I have the version from lor sequence.com, while they may not be perfect they were my first foray into this madness. PM me your email and I will send the music.

Don

boborino wrote:

TJ..that's the sequence I started with also. I'm going through the entire solo and fixing it as well, because I noticed a lot of O's where eh or ah should be. I already have the chorus done if you want to take a look at it. I've never uploaded a sequence, so if you PM me your email I'll send you what I have so far.

Bob-o,

uploading the sequence to www.lorsequences.com is pretty easy, I hadn't done it eaither until I added the chorus face/channels to Thriller last week.. At the bottom of ls.com page, you see Search for a File and Submit a File.. click the Submit a File, choose the file you want to upload, choose the proper directory for it to go into, either S1 or S2 New Submissions, fill in the info and it uploads pretty quickly.. then you can click on the See Your File, and add a thumbnail pix, or edit the info, or not..

My email is skygodtj at cox dot net..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Bob-o,

uploading the sequence to http://www.lorsequences.com is pretty easy, I hadn't done it eaither until I added the chorus face/channels to Thriller last week.. At the bottom of ls.com page, you see Search for a File and Submit a File.. click the Submit a File, choose the file you want to upload, choose the proper directory for it to go into, either S1 or S2 New Submissions, fill in the info and it uploads pretty quickly.. then you can click on the See Your File, and add a thumbnail pix, or edit the info, or not..

My email is skygodtj at cox dot net..

OK.. I hedged my bet and did it both ways. I called it mm4 face on the upload site, and I emailed you a copy of it. I'd be interested to see it on your face. I didn't assign any channels so you'll need to set for your config.

Bob-o, Scott, thank you! I rolled the large face and controllers back out to the garage to clean out the family room, and I have to rope the chorus faces Mon-Wed (next days off).. I'll plug this into animation and see how it plays out with the other faces while out on my trip.. I have a 24hr sit in Orlando Fri/Sat so I'll get to play with it then.

Bob, just ran it in LOR S2.7.6 (havent done the 2.8.8 yet) with the music cut I have and the timings were off.. I had to skew it 1.75 sec to the right to get it to sync at first, but it gets off again after the first chorus, the clip I'm using is a rip from MonsterMash CD (haloween party music), ripped at 128kbps. It'd work with your music clip if you want to email it, and I'll email you the 128kbps clip I have..

teege