Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2009

CLD Kevin

schrisi69, my faces are stored away and I dont have any closer pics that I posted. But I can tell you that the mouth uses 5 channels or 5 different positions and the eyes use 2 channels.

I'm not sure what changed, but my "This is Halloween" video on YouTube went from 500-600 views to 11,000 is just a few days? I'm not sure why...Halloween is so far away.

Thanks. 5 positions for the mouth. wow. Think I can figure it out now. Halloween far away? OMG, I am behind on projects already!!!!!! Had that attitude last year and ran out of time.....again. Need to start NOW! I have so many things for Halloween and Christmas I want to do. May have to scale back. Still have half finished projects in the garage!! Then there is all the sequencing to do. I need to retire and just do projects. hahahaha That is quite a jump in views!!

I blew up your pic and was able to follow the traces. Thanks

This is Halloween video in HD.

The video is is still glainy and a little blurry. Compare to other HD video's I've
seen. I borrowed my dad's HD camera and I just used the standard setting. I have my own now so next year should be better. Also, I've never used video editing software so I hope I did okay my first time. It takes a lot of time just for one 4 min video. Theres gotta be a better way. I need to learn the shortcuts.

BTW, the video file I used to upload was MP4 in 1080p. It that what I should be using for HD or a different type of file? Is MP2 better? Less compression, but more better frame rate.

Extremely impressive Cracker. I am at a loss for words. Made the mistake of showing the wife. I will have to do some serious thinking this season!

Thanks a lot!!!!

If you get around to posting more how too's, that would be awesome.

One question now - is the grid fencing material?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't make the mistake of showing my wife - she showed me!

My pitiful little Halloween display may get a bump.

Thanks for sharing. Get ready for the imitators!!

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! Incredible! I have recently ordered 64 channels from LOR and don't have it yet but I'm checking the forums and videos for different ideas.
I love your setup. The sequencing, especially with the mouths is incredible. I haven't even begun to start to try to sequence yet and I am humbled by your skill.
To echo the previous poster I (or anyone for that matter) would love the sequence
file to try to customize for our own use. You should think about even selling it if you don't want to give it away. LOR sells sequences that don't really hold a candle to yours.
Do you know how many feet of rope light it took to make all the faces?
Thanks for your help and pictures and videos!

• 2 weeks later...

Cracker wrote:

Yes, with rope light although its a pain when a bulb burns out because a whole 18 inch section will or will eventually go out which is very noticeable. It happen a few times and I had to climb back up to replace that section. I'm thinking about changing it to something like minis or C7's so if a bulb burns out...its just that 1 bulb. However, the rope light does make it easy to form.
Aww, the orange lights. Right when the stores started putting out Halloween stuff, I started buying. For the minis...K-Mart, Target, Walmart, Party Supply Stores all carries them. They are frosted orange and not the transparent type. I didn't like Target or Walmart lights. They only came in 70ct where K-Mart was 140ct and the Party Stores were 100ct.
I only found one place that carries orange icicles... "ACE is the place". Right now it doesn't show they have any now, but wait until a few months before Halloween. http://www.acehardware.com
As for the C9, Rope light.... http://www.actionlighting.com
Buy the frosted bulbs and not the Orange (aka Amber) transparent bulbs as they will not match to the minis...close, but not exactly. But it does match the orange rope light exactly...so it was a toss up. I had more mini's so I went with the frosted.
Here are a couple of daytime pictures...8ft Main Face

Does anyone know how to get a hold of cracker? I have alot of unanswered questions. I would like to get his help on.

Ray

All,

I apologize for not responding to your request. I have been offline for a while.

It saddens me to say this, but my home was broken into and my computer and backup HD's were stolen with all my LOR sequences and music. Along with years and years of pictures and other stuff dear to me. I haven't really wanted to get on here, but my new Dell computer arrived today to replace the stolen one.

Its even more sadder to say that I think its someone I know that did this during these difficult and desperate times. I'm hoping I'm wrong. If the computer is recovered, I wont hold my breath that the files will still be there.

I do have some files on a flash drive , but not very much. A couple half done sequences...just little unfinished stuff. However, it did have some ofl my videos from 2009 on it. I copied them to show some people at work. Basically, I will have to start from scratch.

At this point, I'm not sure if I want to do anything for this year which is very disappointing to me. I'm a big Halloween fan and always done something. Maybe I'll take a vacation during that time so I have a valid reason not to be home.

I will try to answer questions that you may have. Hopefully, I can be of some assistance.

dave....2x4 fencing from HD. Comes in 50' rolls

crackchecker....I will post on vimeo

ny_yankee....112 channels

kneel....2 faces per 150' roll with a little extra left over for screw ups and repairs. 3/8 rope is easier to bend than 1/2.

Take Care, Cracker

Cracker wrote:

All,

I apologize for not responding to your request. I have been offline for a while.

It saddens me to say this, but my home was broken into and my computer and backup HD's were stolen with all my LOR sequences and music. Along with years and years of pictures and other stuff dear to me. I haven't really wanted to get on here, but my new Dell computer arrived today to replace the stolen one.

Its even more sadder to say that I think its someone I know that did this during these difficult and desperate times. I'm hoping I'm wrong. If the computer is recovered, I wont hold my breath that the files will still be there.

I do have some files on a flash drive , but not very much. A couple half done sequences...just little unfinished stuff. However, it did have some ofl my videos from 2009 on it. I copied them to show some people at work. Basically, I will have to start from scratch.

At this point, I'm not sure if I want to do anything for this year which is very disappointing to me. I'm a big Halloween fan and always done something. Maybe I'll take a vacation during that time so I have a valid reason not to be home.

I will try to answer questions that you may have. Hopefully, I can be of some assistance.

dave....2x4 fencing from HD. Comes in 50' rolls

crackchecker....I will post on vimeo

ny_yankee....112 channels

kneel....2 faces per 150' roll with a little extra left over for screw ups and repairs. 3/8 rope is easier to bend than 1/2.

Take Care, Cracker

Well, good luck to you! If I can Try to help, The only way I could do so is by offering money. I don't have alot, but I would like to help. Is there any chance you may have the Boom Boom Boom, song still? If not I understand.

But I would like to Pay $50 For that song, and sequence!

Great work deservis to be rewarded! And that is one My daughters fell in love with! I don't have the faces made up yet, but I would like to learn more, if your willing to teach!

Ray

PS- If no, To everything, I completely understand. BUT REMEMBER, If you get back on your feet and redo the song, and want to make a little extra. Keep me in mind......

Cracker,

Sorry to hear that your things got stolen. I am not a computer "geek" I mean geek as a good thing. Do they have software that you can track by IP?? I thought I heard about this before. Hopefully, some of the smarter computer people here can help. Good luck on finding your computer, I'm sure it will all work out.

Cracker, That really sucks. I am especially sorry you lost a lot of pictures, they are likely not replaceable. Very very Sorry.

Rick

shfr26 wrote:

Cracker,

Sorry to hear that your things got stolen. I am not a computer "geek" I mean geek as a good thing. Do they have software that you can track by IP?? I thought I heard about this before. Hopefully, some of the smarter computer people here can help. Good luck on finding your computer, I'm sure it will all work out.

This feature usually comes with laptops....LoJack for Laptops. Mine was a desktop which didn't have the software.

As huskernut stated. I'm more upset about the pictures. And my 2 week old LED TV, wife's jewelry and my PS3...which now I cant play games online to 2am :)

All these items are all replaceable. My kids pictures growing up are not!! I wish I stored them on a backup server.

Hi there Cracker! Sorry to hear what happened to you, i hope that you continue to do your display, i tell you what, it brought a smile to my face to watch you halloween clips. Your work on that is exceptional!!!!! 2010 will be my first year with LOR and your video's make it really exciting to think that creative people like yourself inspire people like me, i live in a rural township in Queensland Australia and you have brought joy to me and my family! Keep up the good work! and i cant wait to see more of your video's on you tube. Cheers Dale

Thanks for letting me know the rope light lengths for the faces Cracker.
I am so sorry to hear about your break-in. :(
It's bad enough getting possessions i.e. ps3, tv's, etc. stolen but having
photos (even in their digital form) and personal items taken that have no value to
someone else is awful. Bad enough the computer but why the backup drive as well.
I can understand your frustration.
Don't do it for me or anyone else than yourself but I think you have a passion for Halloween and your decorations and I'm sure you and your family and neighborhood/community loves what you do for them. When you get past your frustration just don't let the scumbags win and take that from you. I can't imagine having to redo things you have already spent so much of your time on. Good luck to you and I really hope the rest of your year goes a lot better for you.