Light-O-Rama Forums

Capacity Question

Cabbage

Based on the spreadsheet that everyone uses to calculate their Channel capacity it show that if I use 15 strands on Mini 100 lights (the ones from Wal-Mart) on a single channel it will only be drawing 3.13Amps, well under the 8Amp Max.

Is this 3.13 wright? Seems like a lot of strands, but I have a lot of roof line, and don't want to over load a channel.

Could someone verify this for me.

I usually look at the label on the strand to help figure load.

Most (I say most) Walmart 100ct strands are going to be .34 amps per string. Multiply that by 15 strands, and you get 5.1 amps.

The ultimate way of calculating your load is to actually measure it. Many people use a handy device called a Kill-A-Watt. It's a meter that plugs into your receptacle or into the end of your extension cord. You plug the lights into it and it will give you the wattage and amperage of whatever you've connected. You can find this type of devoice (or something just like it) in the electrical department of almost any large hardware store, or you can buy it online from many sources. It costs about 20 bucks and is the best twenty bucks you'll ever spend in this hobby.

Don wrote:

I usually look at the label on the strand to help figure load.

Most (I say most) Walmart 100ct strands are going to be .34 amps per string. Multiply that by 15 strands, and you get 5.1 amps.

0.34A per string is what I count on too. May want one of these to measure accurately, and to be able to measure the load of a whole channel:

Kill-A-Watt (pretty good price here)

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/kilwateldet1?utm_source=emailSonic&utm_content=Common&utm_medium=campaign&utm_term=EL%20006%200293&utm_campaign=091109%20Free%20Paper%20Sleeves%20TY

I got my AMP/WATTS meter at HD, $25.00.. Digital 0-15 amps. It is called a home appliance meter. In electrical isle by all the other meters. So far it is the same reading as my son's $125.00 meter.