Light-O-Rama Forums

Weather proof plugs.

Seaclear

Elevate them off the ground. Possibly cover them from rain from above. But elevating them off the ground, and using ungrounded cords are the big two.

Most of mine are still on the ground. I have an Aquarium business and I use fish bags to cover the plugs because they won't leak but they do get condensation in them. Thanks for the tip.

Mine just lay on the grass ...no problems. The only time I have ever had problems was with mini trees made from tomato towers sitting directly on the grass. I put small wood platforms under them and the problem went away.

Mark Snead wrote:

Most of mine are still on the ground.  I have an Aquarium business and I use fish bags to cover the plugs because they won't leak but they do get condensation in them. Thanks for the tip.

That may be your problem. I've yet to see anyone truly weatherproof their plugs. Water always gets in. The key is getting the water out. Elevating them off the ground helps to dry them out faster.

Unless you are trying to run lights while raining and that's a tough one...

J.

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Unless you are trying to run lights while raining and that's a tough one...

J.

My biggest problem is the darn tornadoes. Just make a mess of everything.

I began elevating my plugs too, and seems to work. I also try and keep all the exposed females turned upside down.

Working with a mega tree this year and im worried about all the female plugs on top. Trying to point them all down but who know. Don't want to tape them off or anything like that cause i do not want to trap in moisture as i belive that will make things worse. Thinking about cutting the ends off and taping all the ends but would love to know what you guys do to keep water or snow from tripping you breakers for mega tree.

Dan

Mark when you say breakers I'm assuming you mean the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. If so and you have moisture in those bags, that is probably the problem.

As others have said, get the connections up off the ground. If you do cover them with something, make sure it can breathe to prevent condensation from collecting. I've been using wooden stakes with large cups turned upside down over top of them.

Jeff Millard wrote:

PS I almost forgot... If you use LEDs, tape everything! Don't worry about elevating the connections. They'll be fine laying in the mud. You won't have any trouble with trips or corrosion, as LEDs have magical powers and can't be harmed. ... when controlled by LOR run on an Apple computer.

That's funny.

Dan,

I use black electrical tape and tape both male and female plugs on my mega tree. I try to keep the plugs on the round PVC circle on the ground. I have not had any problems with the two trees I have.

Mark

Guest wbottomley

In my years of decorating (15+), I do nothing to protect mine.

They are laying on the ground in the worst possible places.

I do get a GFCI outlet to kick but that's about it.

cenote wrote:

I also try and keep all the exposed females turned upside down.

This is clearly a matter of personal preference. I've always preferred keeping my exposed females right side up so I don't have to ask them to repeat themselves so often...

George Simmons wrote:

This is clearly a matter of personal preference. I've always preferred keeping my exposed females right side up so I don't have to ask them to repeat themselves so often...

I guess it all depends on what they are repeating, doesn't it? :P

• The topic was locked