Light-O-Rama Forums

Extend power cable

CraigG

Can I extend the power cable to the ribbon? 6 feet just doesn't do for me. I was going to use the type of wire used in fairy lights extensions. Can anybody see a problem?

Cheers

CraigG
Wollongong - Australia

CraigG wrote:

Can I extend the power cable to the ribbon? 6 feet just doesn't do for me. I was going to use the type of wire used in fairy lights extensions. Can anybody see a problem?

Cheers

CraigG
Wollongong - Australia

I have done some testing and this is my assessment only... From what i can tell.... There is a limit on how far you can extend the cable before it needs a signal amplifier and the total seems to be around 30 feet. Heavier guage cable seems to help but don't count on it. I don't believe LOR sells a signal amplifier. Maybe I'm wrong there.

Do be careful if you cut the cables make sure you mark them so you don't mix up + & - and the data or it could be a big big issue and I'm sure not covered under any warranty.

I have also learned that the connection at the controller for the light ribbon is not really very sturdy, the more you plug and un plug the more you stress the solder joints. I have had one break loose and needed re solder. All is good I have 4 ribbons that I like very much.... Wish I had signal amps to extend the cables though, as I have a common place for my controllers, well either way I will need a weather proof box for either the controllers or the sig amps.

Good luck

Curt

• The topic was locked