Light-O-Rama Forums

Some additional macro effects

LightORamaJohn

We discussed doing the background color for macro effects but decided against using the additional channels at this point. After people use the device for a season, we will come back and revisit this.

Here is the firmware for 4 new effects. I probably won't be able to dedicate any more time to this, and you guys need to really test these effects.

Macro effect 7: double arch leap from controller & center towards end of ribbon. Macro submode is 0 for full fill or a number of pixels to move smaller segments along the ribbon.

Macro effect 8: double arch fill from end & center towards controller. Submode is not used.

Macro effect 9: beat chase away from controller. Macro submode is pixels on/off like previous chases. Every time the macro effect channel (154) intensity changes and is not 0, the chase moves a pixel. You could do on/off/on/off... to step the chase, or just do a fade.

Macro effect 10: beat chase towards controller. Same control as effect 9.

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/CCR150D_V1-04.lhx

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Here is the firmware for 4 new effects. I probably won't be able to dedicate any more time to this, and you guys need to really test these effects.

Macro effect 7: double arch leap from controller & center towards end of ribbon. Macro submode is 0 for full fill or a number of pixels to move smaller segments along the ribbon.

Macro effect 8: double arch fill from end & center towards controller. Submode is not used.

Macro effect 9: beat chase away from controller. Macro submode is pixels on/off like previous chases. Every time the macro effect channel (154) intensity changes and is not 0, the chase moves a pixel. You could do on/off/on/off... to step the chase, or just do a fade.

Macro effect 10: beat chase towards controller. Same control as effect 9.

Wow Thanks John! These are just what I was looking for. This is a fantastic.

Had no trouble uploading firmware. Tested only in Console so far.

7 Perfect
8 Why is Submode inactive? Works as stated filling all.
9 & 10 Love it! Slides one smooth pixel with each intensity change. I appreciate you allowing effect to be used as a trigger.

Tweak? Thanks for your indulgence so far. I understand if you must stop the macro changes for the season. Last one! ;)

Could the effect channel also indicate how many pixels to slide before stopping? Toggle between 10 & 11 for 1 pixel, 20 & 21 for 2, 30 & 31 for 3 ?

OR Follow Macro Sub mode using , 10-19 = On pixels, 20-29 = Off Pixels, 30-39 = 1 pixel

Moving on to sequence tests now and will post later.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

8 Why is Submode inactive? Works as stated filling all.

Could the effect channel also indicate how many pixels to slide before stopping?

I'm guessing the Submode is inactive to save memory because anything you want to do with macro 8 can be done with #7. Really macro mode #2, #4, and #8 are not needed at all. These modes can all be accomplished by fading there companion macros from 99 to 0.

ie: if you fade from 99 to 0 (channel 154) in macro #1,#3 or #7 you get #2,#4 and #8 respectively.:)

As for macro's 9 &10 I thought that by fading the effects channel, the CCR would slide by the amount of the fade. If the pixel moves everytime the macro effect intensity changes. I asumed fading up from 0 to 10 would move the pixels 10 spaces. This would of filled one of your requests.

I tried it tonight and it doesn't work. :) The pixels moved around 24 spaces for a fade of 10. I don't know if this can be corrected . It would make these two macros easier to sequence. IMHO

Darryl

Macros 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and 7 & 8 are the inverse of one another. So fading effect 2 from 99 to 0 does not produce 1, but produces 1's negative.

It is true that the submode for 1, 3 & 7, if I had implemented it in 2 4 & 8, would be the same as fading in the opposite direction. That's why I didn't implement it, maybe there is something else we can do with the submode for 2, 4 & 8.

If you stay within the range of 1-99%, there are two intensity ticks between each percentage point. So on/off ticks a beat chase one pixel. A fade from 1-2% ticks it two pixels. Perhaps it was the wrong choice, but I thought using short fades would make the effect look smooth(er) because you would hit the intermediate states. If you fade more quickly than the controller can update the ribbon you will miss ticks.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Macros 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and 7 & 8 are the inverse of one another. So fading effect 2 from 99 to 0 does not produce 1, but produces 1's negative.

It is true that the submode for 1, 3 & 7, if I had implemented it in 2 4 & 8, would be the same as fading in the opposite direction. That's why I didn't implement it, maybe there is something else we can do with the submode for 2, 4 & 8.

If you stay within the range of 1-99%, there are two intensity ticks between each percentage point. So on/off ticks a beat chase one pixel. A fade from 1-2% ticks it two pixels. Perhaps it was the wrong choice, but I thought using short fades would make the effect look smooth(er) because you would hit the intermediate states. If you fade more quickly that the controller can update the ribbon you will miss ticks.

Yes, I see now that 2 & 4 don't need submode since that action can be created by submode on 1 & 3 with lowering effect intensity. So it follows that 8 does not need submode either.

On the Beat Chase, I was finally able to get the effect I wanted after reading your post about ramps.
The beats inserted by the beat wizard were mostly 21 centiseconds. I manually split 25 beats into a 6 & 15 centisecond. Then the leading small one got a ramp from 1 to 4 and the remainder of the beat is zero. This advanced 4 pixels in the first 6 centiseconds, then waited for the next beat. This looked great and kept time. I liked seeing the sliding intermediate states. I tried a few different sizes for the ramp up timing. A lot of work to create the timings.

It would be easier in this macro to use a single cell with intensity 46 to mean advance 4 in 6 centiseconds then stop. What I was hoping for on the beat chase was to be able to use the existing timings that beat the mega. A single set of settings within a beat (single timing).

Jim wrote:

Hi, when I open the download all I get is pages of hyroglyphics??

In IE right click the link and select save target as. Save in firmware folder within LOR folder.

another query.......with that demo candy cane seq. how can I change the controller ID number to my next ID but do it for the whole 160 channels at once rather than one at a time

Thanks in advance

Jim..

Jim wrote:

another query.......with that demo candy cane seq. how can I change the controller ID number to my next ID but do it for the whole 160 channels at once rather than one at a time

Thanks in advance

Jim

You should start a new thread for unrelated questions.

I can show you the way I would do it. Make a backup first.

Using windows explorer, navigate to the file 'CCR - Candy Cane.las' and right click. Select open with then select notepad.

Highlight 'unit="1"' in the file and copy to clipboard (Cntl-C)
then open change panel with Cntl-H. Click into the find text box and paste with Cntl-V then click into replace box and paste again.

Now change to the value you need. If have added other channels which are 'unit="1"' be sure to leave them alone by replacing one at a time and checking the name.
Close and save and then open in sequence editor and check it with channel property grid.

• The topic was locked