Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR protocol ever been published?

dnewman

Thanks, that's an option but I really didn't want to use additional hardware. That would require switching back and forth when I jump between my application and LOR. I really wanted it to be as easy as switching between the hardware utility and the sequence editor (shut one down, start up the other).

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree I would really like some system that will allow me write custom programs for LOR.

Don't get me wrong the LOR programs are good, but being a programer, I can always come up with things, I wish a program had.

What about some form of command line LOR program that would send commands to the controllers?

Then we could create our own programs that will interface with the command line program. You could even make this command line program cost extra.

Personally my favorite way for this would be some forum of cross platform library, Maybe a java class?

I use Mac for most of my computing needs (only pc I have is a net book). I would really like a program that would run on my Mac. Also a linux version would be good, since allot of people run there shows on older computers, and linux is fast and small.

Coming up with some form of way the community could create custom programs, or scripts, especially for mac or linux could probably really benefit every one, by allowing for the community to help full in some of the wholes.

If the protocol was completely opened up, and some sales of the LOR program were lost, there is also the possibility that sales of controllers could increases, from people liking other programs that might get created, and purchasing LOR products.

Even if all we could get is some type of windows only SDK library for the pro version of the software, it would be a steep in the right direction.

Being LOR has a big following of tech users this could really have a positive impact on the community. I know I am big fan of open source programs, and if I knew we had other programs who would be interested on working on LOR programs I would make any thing I could create through supported ways open source.

Guess I'll add my voice to the discussion. I heartily agree with the comment that it is a sad thing to have these controllers on the shelf for 11 months out of the year due to a lack of options.

I have seen many a time where I would have liked to be able to use the controllers for lighting control in a 'live' environment, but have been unable to since the software as it currently exists does not lend itself to this mode of operation.

One might observe that you can have a level of 'live' control via the hardware utility console, but only on one controller at a time and in a fairly limited fashion.

I would love to see a utility/program/software that could be operated similarly to a 'standard' (if there is ever such a thing) 'intelligent' lighting console, where you could operate multiple controllers and create scenes, triggers, and shows as well as have 'live' control.

Would think the availability of this functionality would not only keep the controllers from residing on the shelf for long periods, but might generate some additional interest/sales as well.

jwilling,

As of firmware 4.30, you can operate a deluxe LOR board using DMX512 and your favorite live console. There's wiring instructions on the LOR webpage. I plan to do this spring for a show I'm working on.

Jeff Sand wrote:

jwilling,

As of firmware 4.30, you can operate a deluxe LOR board using DMX512 and your favorite live console. There's wiring instructions on the LOR webpage. I plan to do this spring for a show I'm working on.

Was peripherally aware of that, but the idea was to be able to leverage existing hardware and resources rather than to have to go out and purchase a console.

While not as convenient in all situations as a physical console, a 'soft' console; properly done would be of great use I would think, and provide access to the additional functionality available in the LOR controllers where a normal DMX console would not. And if one has a touch screen available, well... :cool:

BTW: a quick peruse of the LOR website did not turn up the wiring instructions you referred to. Mind posting the direct link?

Ah; no mind... not on the 'LOR website' as such, but in a document I located at:
http://lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf