Light-O-Rama Forums

Choose the right color

RobDaddy

I was trying to figure out what percent of the intensity tool is needed for each RGB to make a certain color and it is very time consuming but I found a great tool for that at http://www.vias.org/simulations/simusoft_rgbcolors.html Download is at the bottom right of the page.

I downloaded the tool and you can see exactly what percent of each RGB is needed to make the color you need.

Enjoy.

I just finished an RGB + W Led Floodlight and this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Cheers

Daryl B.

I'll be interested to hear the results of anyone who has tried a mix by using that software.

It's an intruiging piece of software, but my guess is that it is not going to work very well for LOR purposes. It seems that the software was intended for graphics or display purposes where the 3 primary colors have equal amounts of intensity. In the case of LEDs or even incandescant bulbs, that is unfortunately not the case.

Especially for LEDs, example, Red is far more efficient than Blue, thus equal intensity settings in LOR will not produce the color blen that this software calculates. Again, I have not tried it, but I am guessing this will be the result. Maybe it will be close enough to get you in the ball park.

Several software tools I already had have their own color pickers.
You can type in the numbers to see what color it is, or select a color to get the numbers.

This one is EditPlus. Love this free program for editing text and XML.
It says free for 30 days but it doesn't cut you off and you can use it forever.
http://www.editplus.com/download.html

EPcolorpicker.jpgEPcolorpicker.jpg

This picture is from Photoshop. Sorry unable to share.
PScolorpicker.jpg

I think that the same thing found in the sequence editor when setting channel colors.

Tim

Attached files 183509=10436-Capture.JPG

RobDaddy wrote:

Unless I am doing it wrong I thought you can only go up to 100% on the intensity tool. If so how can you do 255% red 0% green 255%blue?:?

The RGB colour value of 255 (hex 0xff) is not the same as 100% intensity.

Each RGB colour has a value range of 0-255.

Neil

It also appears to me that the "white" (all colors at 100%) still has a blue tint to it.

I'm trying to find the right intensity settings for "white" to match the rest of my "warm white" led light strings. Still haven't found anything I particullarly like yet. The closest one has a green tint to it.

If anyone has a good intensity setting to get the "warm white" I'd love to hear it.

• 1 year later...

heystew wrote:

Has anyone settled on a good RGB value to match their warm white led strings?

Due to the various differences in LEDs, you may have to experiment to see what matches the Warm White in the LEDs you have, maybe reduce the blue by 5 or 10 %, etc.

I did find this post:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=20023&forum_id=89&highlight=rgb+warm+white

which gives an RGB value of:
R=255
G=107
B=10

And it's definitely the best i've tried. Here is a picture of the comparison between my RGB lights and a set of incandescent icicle lights

warmwhite2.jpg

RobDaddy wrote:

I was trying to figure out what percent of the intensity tool is needed for each RGB to make a certain color and it is very time consuming but I found a great tool for that at http://www.vias.org/simulations/simusoft_rgbcolors.html Download is at the bottom right of the page.

I downloaded the tool and you can see exactly what percent of each RGB is needed to make the color you need.

Enjoy.

The link you give is designed for CRT and monitors. It is not designed for LED devices like Cosmic Color Ribbons.

If you use the Light-O-Rama hardware utility and try various settings on the RGB values of each CCR pixel you will find out three important characteristics:]

1- The Brightness is not linear]

For example, a setting of 100 is only a little brighter than a setting of 50. In fact, to get a brightness that is half of what you see at 100 you need a setting of about 25.]

2- The red, green and blue elements are not balanced]

If you set red to 100 and green to 100 you should get yellow. But you will get more of a greenish yellow. This is because the green element is stronger than the red element. If you set red to 100 and blue to 100 you should get purple. But you will get more of a bluish purple. This surprised me because blue appears to be more dim than red and green, but in reality it is stronger than the red element also.]

3- The LEDs are so bright that the perceived colors will not be as deep as what you see on the computer screen. This must be taken into account when comparing the colors on the computer screen with what you will get on the ribbons. For example, red=100 and green=50 will give a bright orange. Red=60 and green=30 will give a dim orange that will show as a muddy orange on the computer screen, but on the Cosmic Color Ribbons it will be an orange that is 60% of the intensity of full orange but it will still be a fairly bright orange.]

In my software for Cosmic Color Ribbons I use a table for each Red Green and Blue setting to translate from the values you set to get LOR values. So in my software when you set Red to 50%, I produce an LOR setting that will give you a brightness that is 50% of full intensity which ends up being about 25. There are separate tables for Green and Blue because they each behave differently.

The end result is that if you set yellow and see yellow on your computer screen you will get yellow on your CCR. If you use the raw values yellow on your computer screen will end up being greenish yellow on your CCR, and even if you are not mixing colors and just setting Red, if you set a raw value of 50 you will get a brightness that is about 70% of full brightness. And the LEDs are so bright to begin with you will not see much difference between a raw value of 100 and a raw value of 50.

• The topic was locked