Light-O-Rama Forums

How I plan to use my CCR

hubba002

I have a question for everyone. How are you planning to deploy your Cosmic Color Ribbons (CCR)? And, how do you mount the thing on your planned application so as not to damage the ribbon over time?

In the demo's on LightORama's website they kind of show 2 ways. Once as an arch and one as a Christmas tree. An obvious way would be just a straight ribbon on the house or ground or something. Even using cable ties to mount the CCR on PVC as an arch is not that straight forward. How do you get the PVC to arch? How do you store it?

I would really love to hear what people are planning to do and how they plan to do it. I don't have my CCR yet and am trying to decide how to deploy it.

I was thinking I'd go the Christmas tree route. Looks like the ribbon will wrap around about a 5 or 6 foot tall tree frame of some sort. Not sure how to make the frame. Maybe PVC teepee style with a string around the bottom to control the width the legs can spread. A little worried this might be too flexible for the ribbon over time. I'm also worried you won't be able to see the LED's on the back side from the road. Maybe twist the ribbon so they all point forward? I'd love to know how to build the tree in the LOR demo. Photo's and design suggestions would be great.

We have a van that remains parked in our driveway during the winter. (It's a 1986 Dodge customized as an RV.) It's already part of the Christmas show with 3 mini trees on the top, so this year I'm going to attach one or two CCRs around the top gutter. I haven't decided how to attach it yet, but I've used hot glue in the past, and found that it will hold to smooth surfaces but still can be removed with no residue.

This is how i do my arches over my driveway:

use 3/4 (emt) electrical metal tubing,

30 foot-1inch Electrical PVC

cut the emt in 5 foot pieces, drive it 2ft in the ground.Put one on each side of the driveway. Take the pvc put it all together and slide the pvc over the emt. and this will hold it up and create the arch.

Bubba

bubba reed wrote:

cut the emt in 5 foot pieces, drive it 2ft in the ground.Put one on each side of the driveway. Take the pvc put it all together and slide the pvc over the emt. and this will hold it up and create the arch.

Bubba

Interesting. I was thinking you'd have to heat the tubing or something. I guess this would snap back straight when taken down and that would be an advantage in storing it.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to make a Christmas tree like the one in the CCR demo? He says it is a 3'8" tree made of plastic fence. If anyone can provide detailed instructions on how to make such a thing that would be great.

I have mini-trees in my light show that are made of triangular floral stands. I'd like something 5 or 6 feet tall.

Can you buy something like that somewhere and put the CCR on it?

Thanks!

Attached files 183339=10426-tree.jpg

I made a 6' tree out of steel, I know it's not exactly what your asking for but I hope it helps. I made a 10 channel spiral that runs up and down the way you want the ccr to.

Ron

Attached files 183341=10427-DSCN0383.JPG

I have a flag pole on my 2nd floor porch which is very visible from all directions so with the CCR ribbon wrapped around it it will act as a beacon for those who can't see my display. and since my house is near 2 major roadways one in West Virginia and the other in Ohio this should be a magnet.

And just think a few years ago...this was the extent of my holiday decorating

Attached files 183353=10429-Lights.jpg

rstately wrote:

I made a 6' tree out of steel, I know it's not exactly what your asking for but I hope it helps. I made a 10 channel spiral that runs up and down the way you want the ccr to.

Ron

Cool tree! Can you describe the materials used? The upright rods look like rebar maybe? The pipe maybe plumbing or electical issue? The tough thing is the bottom ring. I guess a metal shop with bending equipment could do that. Is there somewhere you can buy such a ring? Also, what king of wire is that wrapped around the tree? I'd appreciate it if you would describe how you did it in some detail.

I thought of trying something very similar to this, but not nearly this nice. I was thinking of cutting out a round ring from plywood (within my skill level - welding and such is not). And maybe using a small PVC of some sort (1/4" or 3/8") for the up rights. I'd just use screws to attach the uprights to the base and use the same plan on a smaller wooden ring at the top. The problem with my plan and the ribbon, I think, is how to attach the CC ribbon to a tree similar to yours and not pinch the CCR ribbon. It would be nice to have some sort of structural support that wrapped around the tree that was wider than the CC and then the CCR would be attached to this underlying support by cable tie. In other words, I haven't figured out what is relatively sturdy that I could wrap around the tree and then attach the CCR to that. Duct work hanging metal ribbon comes to mind, but I'd have to figure out how to attach that to the tree. If I were you, I could weld it. :D

bubba reed wrote:

Bubba

Bubba, I failed to say thank you for the insight on how to do this. I plan to implement one of my CCR's this way.

bubba reed wrote:

So do you understand how to use the color ribbon? Or how to set a sequence?

Don't have my CCR's yet. I've read the 2 tutorials. I'll probably go with macros this year unless I some time to figure it out.

Looks like arch, accent (in a line), or tree are the intended uses so far. I've actually wondered if folks have tought about cutting the CCR up and making stuff like a star or maybe cutting a couple-a-three up to make like a mini-jumbotron. Actually I think if LOR made the mini-jumbotron and had some tools to draw or create text then scroll it they'd have a cool gizmo.

Ron
Cool tree!  Can you describe the materials used? The upright rods look like rebar maybe?  The pipe maybe plumbing or electical issue?  The tough thing is the bottom ring.  I guess a metal shop with bending equipment could do that.  Is there somewhere you can buy such a ring?  Also, what king of wire is that wrapped around the tree?  I'd appreciate it if you would describe how you did it in some detail.

Sorry I did not see this post,
It is 1/4" cold rolled steel on the verticals, 1/8" hot rolled on the spiral.
and you are right about the base, it's rolled tubing 1/2"x1/2" I used a tubing roller from harbor freight, and welded the cross and sleeve into it. I'm sure you could get a local welding shop to make parts. I just used what I had in my shop.
If you have any other questions just let me know.
Ron

Here is a link to my tree test video, from last year when I was building it.
you could do this with the ccr but it's only one sided so It would not show around the back.

Ron

rstately wrote:

Here is a link to my tree test video, from last year when I was building it.
you could do this with the ccr but it's only one sided so It would not show around the back.

Ron

Cool! How many channels run it? How did you do te star and the shooting star?

Cool! How many channels run it? How did you do te star and the shooting star?

The tree has 32 channels, 8 green, 8 multi, 10 on the spiral, 4 star, 2 for presents under the tree.
I wanted it to look like fireworks going off.
I made the star from 1/8" steel rods, it looked like a leave rake before lights.
sorry I didn't take any pictures of that. the middle of the star is a tree topper from lowes the one that looks like icicles.
here is a video from the show, sorry my videos are bad quality.
if you click on the right side "more from rstately" you can see the full house with sound, again low quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4tpEvTXQQ

• The topic was locked