Light-O-Rama Forums

Easyest Song That You Have Sequencened

Guest guest

Ok, I am getting a little frustrted with programing songs for LOR and I was wondering if you guts could give me a easy but good song that you have programed. I have Programed two songs

Nutcraker

Carol of the bells (metalico)

Carol of the bells is the hard one and I think I am going to give up on it for a little while and do some songs that may be easyer so I was wondering if you guys could give me the names of a few songs (not the acutal song) Coprights Issuses...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steven

• Dale W

• NWSanta

• Brian Mahnke

Don't get frustrated. Sequencing is actually a fun thing! Go grab a Starbucks and come back fresh.

I started out sequencing with a very short one-half minute song that has a clear beat pattern and no vocals. This was clearly Sequencing for Dummies (with no musical ability). My selection was Jingle Bells by the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

The learning curve on LOR Sequence Editor is really quite good in all. The only substantive advice I can give you is to back up your work often.

If you email me, I will be very glad to send you my LOR Sequences. As a rule of thumb, now it takes me 3 hours per one minute of song to program 80 channels to a complex song.

You will learn tricks along the way and you will see your speed increase tremendously.

Greg Zimmerman ggregzim@yahoo.com

I got a lot of tips from the tutorials on the LOR support page. Dan your support has helped me a lot. Dan, My dad says that the LOR software isvery neat and I find it easy to use

Literally just finished a 16CH sequence of "carol of the bells", can email it to you if you want to take a look at it.

It is my first sequence, took about a month 'cause I just do it when the mood hits me and probably do 30-45 seconds at a session.

My style seems to be to start slow and keep building up 'til it's psychedelic at the end.

You are starting early (good thing!), just hang in there and you'll get 'er done!!!

Richard III wrote:

Ok, I am getting a little frustrted with programing songs for LOR and I was wondering if you guts could give me a easy but good song that you have programed. I have Programed two songs

It will take a little while to get used to it, but it will get easier as you do it.

I am sad that you called us guts though.:laughing:

Well, the topic of the thread was easiest song you sequenced. For me, it was the Queen of the Winter Night sequence that I used last year. (I did edit the song down, mind you.)

Now, at the time I had already sequenced 8 or 9 other songs and was starting to get the hang of it. It didn't take long to come up with an idea of what I wanted to do with the song, so programming took even less time.

Having gone through year one already, I think everyone will get quicker at sequencing once you have the lights up, and have had a chance to see your early work in action. You'll go back and change up your sequences once they go out ... then you will be able to program new ones much quicker. Why? You will have seen your display 'in the flesh' and will probably be able to better visualize what's going one.

Queen of the winter night was the easiest for me also. I'm really having a creative block in trying to get Good king joy finished. I started messing with it over a month ago and still haven't finished it. :-(

gaylord wrote:

I thought the Beach Boys "Little Saint Nick" was pretty easy since it has a nice beat.

Gaylord, I tried that one too... I have to tell you, I had that song in my head for weeks.........:laughing: It drove me NUTS !!:]:]:]

Hi All,

Sequencing seems ... for me anyway ... to be all about inspiration. Some ideas just come at me, and others take some time.

My first year was with 80 channels ... and with all "those wonderful toys" to play with ... the biggest problem was just getting started.

But, to you question:

• I did, "Santa Clause Is Coming to Town" from the classic Cartoon. It was very easy, and I thought it was kind of dull -- cause it was sooo easy and reptitive. But, as I watched people watch my show, I realized they loved it. Cause they would sit and sing along, and the lights just made it fun. So don't be afraid of using a couple old classics. These are the songs people remember from their childhood ... and they really like 'em.
  • I also did Wayne Newton's version of "Jinglebell Rock" ... again a very easy song to do ... since it repeats, and has a steady beat. Nothing real spetacular to push the limits on ... but, people really enjoyed the song and again just singing along.

I think of these songs as the kind of music you would hear in a Merry-Go-Round Band Organ. Lots of rythym and lots of moving light ...

Now Hard songs for me were the big orchestral pieces. No clear bass notes thumping out the beat. or a drum section keeping time. You really have to find the beat yourself and tap it out.

But they give you lots of musical "drama" to work with. A good example would be the "Overture from Miracle on 34th Street" ... you can see a good job done by Don Teague on the LOR website.

I did this song, originally inspired by Darryl Brown's work ... and although you spend a long time going through it, trying to get just the right visual to match the music ... it is well worth it. I think that song took me 25 to 30 hours for 2 minutes. I did it over the space of several weeks.

The last most difficult song I did was "Spirit of the Season" from Polar Express. Lots of fun to do, and very intricate, but because of the practice with the song above ... I knew more about what i wanted and had a "bag of tricks" that I used. And so it went faster ... but still took 10 hours per minute of music to complete.

Sooooo, keep the faith. The initial time sequencing just gives you practice with your "tools" ... and also it gives a good feeling for what you can do with your display set up. (If you are like me, I changed the way the lights were going to be installed so that I could do more with them using the software.)

And finally, I can say, the ones I'm proudest of most ... are, not so surprisingly, the songs I spent the most time on.

... good luck to you,

Tom

Turn to a couple of OLDIES! Really, people still like to hear them and they are easy to do.

This way, you get an idea of how simple it can be. Then move up to the bigger more current type music.

I feel some spend all this money on sequencing their channels and get so overwhelmed or lack of Patience, that they sequences look like they just have a bunch of blinking lights that really don't seem to sync to anything.

Start slow, really try a couple of oldies first, they sound great and people still acknowledge the music.

This will be my first LOR christmas. I wanted to wet my whistle so I did a mini summer show.

I found that the tapper and such doesn't work so well. I even tried using external programs to figure out the beat and multiply by the length to get my events. In the end, I decided to break the songs up into .05 segments. this allows almost all my effects to be synched. For much faster things you can split it later, but overall, the .05 was very workable. Also, I can not relay the importance of using the 1/2 and 1/4 speed playback options in combination with the "Play visible Screen" option. Those features were critical in the programming.

I think “Blue Christmas” by any number of artists or Elvis and “Please come home for Christmas” by Lonestar are very easy to sync. Both have nice sounds to take advantage of many of the LOR features.

Ralph

RE: The Tapper

There are many who might be classified as "Tapper Challenged" ... personally, it took a little practice to overcome my initial psycho motor-skills issues. But finally figured it out ... but never succeeded the first time through. One has to "know the song" pretty well, and then decide what "events" you want to TAP-out.

I think, though, this year I will use the method that is outlined in the Tutorials on LOR's website. And, use that method to both tap-out the basic beat, as well as the special moments in the music I want to highlight visually.

Later,

T.

I found a refresher from the Wiki helpful.

I first set events to .10 for the whole song. Then I setup a new channel for a tapper beat. If the song has a vocal, I setup another channel for that and then tap the vocal into that channel. I might try .05 for one of the faster songs.

I can only handle about an hour to an hour and a half at a time. I find it easier to break it up into one hour "sessions".

Then I show the progress to my son and he always goes "wow"! Then I get inspired again!

wirekat wrote:

I find it easier to break it up into one hour "sessions".

I'm just getting started after an hour :laughing:. It's so addictive, once I get wound up the first hour, I find myself pressing on at least another hour. Keeping this in mind. I try not to start on a sequence unless I know I have a couple hours free of any issues. Nothing worse than a disturbance while brain storming.

Tom

Hiya y'all! Newbie here! I bought the 16 channel last year 2 weeks b4 christmas! DOH! Big mistake! (buying it soooo late!) Was able to get the whole song of Carol of the Bells done Christmas eve, but I found that the tapper delay mixed with the delay of incadescent lamps powering up made for a quite noticeable delay. So, this year I'm scrapping the whole sequence and looking to beg, "borrow" and steal sequences and then re-build them to fit my house! (Honesty is the best policy, right?!?)

I do plan on buying another 16 channel LOR, but for now I'm looking to get some form of sequence accompished for my exsisting 16ch. Is there somewhere where we can share our sequences? If there's already a thread on this, then I give my humble apologies as I have been searching but to no avail! I will also share what I come up with too of course! Just need a link to a repository or thread...

Thanks,
Scott