Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with addressing.

James Shelby

I have a minor problem. I connected 18 controllers and found address's 2-0 thou 3-1. Missing was 2-8. Now 2-6 thou 2-b are in one cabinet. I reset the controller and still no 2-8. I changed the address to 3-2 and there we go it now works. Is this a sign of things to come or do I just have a bad address pot on that one board?

James,

On the unit that 2-8 did not work.

For test purposes you may want to try setting it to like 3-8 or any other 2-X number. It could just be a bad position on the switch. But you will need to know which it is.

Another idea is set the problem unit back to 2-8 and with ONLY that unit connected run the hardware utility to see if it shows up, and where it does.

I do feel that it is probably just a problem with the address dial, but which one is the question.

Chuck

I did all that and still 2-8 does not come up. This was one of my new cards too. I did change it to 3-2, because all address under 2-0 are being used and it now works with no problems but now the 11 sequences will need to be changed, (just when you were thinking you were all caught up on things too).
My worry was that it could have been a comm problem but all the controllers are linear in addressing so I don't think it's a comm problem, do you think it could just be that bad pot and don't worry about it until January?
Also last year I put all my cat5 runs in black pvc pipe for protection. At the end of the year the tear down crew took all the pipe and folded it up and stuffed it into a box. Could all the kinks in the pvc have damaged the cat5 to a point to were I should replace it now or should I wait to see if I have problems?

James,

I was only trying to help you to troubleshoot. Also sometimes you can take and turn the dial back and forth and get them to work. Almost like something is in the switch that is causing non conduction. To keep from changing all your sequences why not try to swap that board's address with another in the same enclosure. Then it is a matter of remembering to just swap the location of where the display elements plug in. No change to the sequences to happen.

As far as the Cat 5 cable. Does it have like kinks in the wire? If it has kinks then you could have problems especially if the cable you used has solid conductors.

Chuck

James Shelby wrote:

I did all that and still 2-8 does not come up. This was one of my new cards too. I did change it to 3-2, because all address under 2-0 are being used and it now works with no problems but now the 11 sequences will need to be changed, (just when you were thinking you were all caught up on things too).
My worry was that it could have been a comm problem but all the controllers are linear in addressing so I don't think it's a comm problem, do you think it could just be that bad pot and don't worry about it until January?
Also last year I put all my cat5 runs in black pvc pipe for protection. At the end of the year the tear down crew took all the pipe and folded it up and stuffed it into a box. Could all the kinks in the pvc have damaged the cat5 to a point to were I should replace it now or should I wait to see if I have problems?

Waxing a tad theoretical, (disclaimer of any 'inside' knowledge) :D

The addressing ID dials are rotary switches, not potentiometers, and they are read by the on-board CPU at power-up/reset to determine the particular unit ID.

The ID code for each unit is sent as part of the data packet stream that is seen by all controllers on the 'network', and the unit ID is used by the controller to determine which data packets to respond to.

So it appears unlikely that damage to the cat-5 cable would single out one controller for grief, rather that all controllers downstream from the damaged cable would show problems.

The fault is most likely in the switch on that particular board, or the associated logic that allows the processor to read it. Thought it could be a simple as a bad solder joint. Can't get too much more specific as the board manual does not include a schematic.

Theories and conjecture... FWIW. (that way I don't get yelled at)

Well now a new problem. When I refresh the controllers I found all 18 the first time then refresh again and I find 9 then 3 then and now 0 units found. Any thought on this problem. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and troubleshoot it one box at a time. This is the first year on this laptop.

Long shot here. What adapter are you using? Check to make sure that any of the "wires" in the connector on the adapter are NO bend down and possibly not making contact when you plug in the cable. On my USB485B I had one of the jacks that had that problem. Was intermittent on making the connection.

Other than that, what might have moved between the times of refresh?

Chuck

Nothing changed between refresh. I will look at that adapter and see what it looks like, I'm using three of them and I think I have five in stock. This is the first year for this laptop could that be an issue. Also some cards, all blue 16 channel 40 amp, have version 4.01 and some 4.4. The only firmware I can find is 4.3 should they all be the same and what version? I will start with one box at a time and work my way down the line until I find the problem. Also one box had a "boot loader" problem on second refresh.

As it was said in another thread. The firmware for the controllers is not an issue. All the firmware will do is allow you to use some of the improved or new features like the improved shimmer.

Seeing how all of your controllers have bugged out. Now it sounds like a comm problem. And the problem is between your PC and the first controller. The problem in a case like this is between the last seen controller on the string and the next that is not responding.

As to the earlier problem. I agree with the one gent that said that it could either be the binary switch and the logic that the switch is connected to. I agree there could be a chance that a solder joint behind the switch is the problem. And this might repeat every even number. If it does not repeat on 4, 6 and 8. Then it is the switch for sure at that #2 postion.

Good hunting down the problem

If you guys don't mind I'll keep this thread going as I move on with all 40 some controllers, that is if I find more problems and I'll let you know what I find with this first 18 as soon as I get some answers this weekend.
Also to reset the controller I power down the card, set the switches to 0-0, power back up for a bit then power back down then reset the address then power back up, correct?????

I'm running out now to work on it, this crappie weather has turned to a nice sunny day. I have the USB485-ISO's can I use these in place of my regular USB to RS485 adapters???????

I have one of the iso adapters running now. Like any new to the system adapter, it will default to a different com port. Other than that, I did not install any new drivers, or notice any other changes.

Thanks everyone, the adapter was the problem. I changed it out to one of the new ones and it works fine now. I still have that address problem but I'll worry about it in January. Onto the second group now, 22 controllers there, they should be installed in two weeks. Thanks everyone, your a big help.