Light-O-Rama Forums

Video of CCR in action

melwelch

Looks great, Mel!

You are way ahead of me in developing your sequenceing skills with this thing. I just received mine last night, one was broken, and also had to go to work today. Still have one working that I started playing with tonight

How flexible are the ribbons? IE, if I wanted to contort them to fit on wireframes, how abrupt of angles can you bend them into?

So... is it just me, or an artifact of the camera, that makes it look as if some of the pixels do not appear to be responding correctly in some colors?

In particular it looks as if when white and purple are cycled into, there appears to be 5-6 pixels in the upper right quadrant of the disc that seem to be in blue rather than the actual selected color.

jwilling wrote:

So... is it just me, or an artifact of the camera, that makes it look as if some of the pixels do not appear to be responding correctly in some colors?

In particular it looks as if when white and purple are cycled into, there appears to be 5-6 pixels in the upper right quadrant of the disc that seem to be in blue rather than the actual selected color.

What you are seeing is color coming thru the sides of the plastic covering... It is like looking thru a prism. When I layed the strip out flat you do not see a different color...

Just watched the video, felt like I was being hypnotized.

The thing is pretty cool as a spiral never even thought of it being used like that.

But why do I have an urge to put a lampshade on my head now and cluck like a chicken.

Dang that hypnotizism.

OK - I'm lost on how to program the CCR in a sequence using Macro Mode --- you just set the intensity of the [macro] channel to the feature you want to use? It seems like hopping around between intensities could get pretty complicated or just plain messy --- or, maybe I just don't get it [yet].

GaryMartin wrote:

How flexible are the ribbons? IE, if I wanted to contort them to fit on wireframes, how abrupt of angles can you bend them into?

As a wireframe builder, and having received my two CCRs, my suggestion is - DONT

JBullard wrote:

GaryMartin wrote:

As a wireframe builder, and having received my two CCRs, my suggestion is - DONT

Thanks John! Good info to have before shelling out the bucks for one on speculation. ;)

So what would you say is the minimum length of CCR that you can get a 360 degree twist out of? Could one just wrap them around a say, 1/2" round rod successfully? Any way to modify them to make angular bends on a flat plane? These just cry out for a frame to attach them to. ;)

GaryMartin wrote:

So what would you say is the minimum length of CCR that you can get a 360 degree twist out of? Could one just wrap them around a say, 1/2" round rod successfully? Any way to modify them to make angular bends on a flat plane? These just cry out for a frame to attach them to. ;)

Based on the 'official' specifications, I'd think not. From the manual:

"The ribbon can be wrapped around a 3" diameter pole."

Need to keep in mind, that the ribbon does not have nearly the flexibility of a 'standard' rope light as it contains 50 circuit boards linked by interconnecting cable, and as such will be limited by the flexing capability of the circuit boards and the components on each.

Additionally; one needs consider that even though there would be more 'flex' at the 'cut points' (the interconnects between the circuit boards), any extreme flexing at these points runs the risk of putting strain on the interconnects with in increasing potential for stress induced failure.

...or in a bit less verbose wording: breaking the wires. :shock:

jwilling wrote:

GaryMartin wrote:

Based on the 'official' specifications, I'd think not. From the manual:

"The ribbon can be wrapped around a 3" diameter pole."

Need to keep in mind, that the ribbon does not have nearly the flexibility of a 'standard' rope light as it contains 50 circuit boards linked by interconnecting cable, and as such will be limited by the flexing capability of the circuit boards and the components on each.

Additionally; one needs consider that even though there would be more 'flex' at the 'cut points' (the interconnects between the circuit boards), any extreme flexing at these points runs the risk of putting strain on the interconnects with in increasing potential for stress induced failure.

...or in a bit less verbose wording: breaking the wires. :shock:

Gotcha, thanks.

Yet Another Question: Could the "Cut points" be cut, with jumpers applied to turn it into a ton of small strips that could make acute angles? (just using the jumper wires to do all the bends)

GaryMartin wrote:

Gotcha, thanks.

Yet Another Question: Could the "Cut points" be cut, with jumpers applied to turn it into a ton of small strips that could make acute angles? (just using the jumper wires to do all the bends)

Cautiously... yes... with the caveat (again from the manual):

"Cut Point - the ribbon can be cut at these points, but doing so voids the ribbon portion of the warranty."

Also; keep in mind when planning something like this that each circuit board that makes up the pixels is apx. 4" long, so this could still become a limiting factor.

And of course you will want to seal each of these newly created 'segments' to protect them from the elements...

Have to admit, I've thought in similar directions... But having not seen the cost (or availability) of replacement ribbons in the event that such an experiment goes horribly wrong, it does give one pause.

...for a moment or two... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

jwilling wrote:

I got a 2nd USB cable today and finally got to play with my CCR due to my USB running Halloween show right now and ran the demo sequence in the video and unfortunately I noticed a color problem like you mentioned above.

I gently unrolled the ribbon to the point where I noticed problem and indeed there are 3 RGBs in the ribbon where the RED is not firing (green and blue are fine) but as I was holding it and examining it they started to fire and I started to roll it back up and they stopped.

So I guess it is time to get in touch with LOR because my ribbon does seem to have a problem.

I do thank John for posting sequence because it did make finding this very quick and is a great way to test to be sure the thing works.

• 11 months later...

Maxslights wrote:

melwelch wrote:
This is the CCR as it is shipped to you... It is coiled up like the picture on the instruction book...

:D

Where did you get the demo sequence?

Not sure if this is the one but checkout this thread for demo sequence.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19306&forum_id=89&jump_to=177048#p177048

• The topic was locked