Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
melwelch

Got the CCR.... Were is the software??

Cblood wrote:

I'm confused even about the hardware utility. The manual show something that I cannot find in my version. Manual states click LOR Control tab on top of hardware utility then select Configure on the bottom set of buttons and I only see the DIO config screen no button or any way to get to the CCR config screen. did something change from the previous version 2.4.9 to 2.4.10?

Curt

Ver 2.4.9 was not released to us. I believe (in case I missed an update) that the released software went from ver 2.3.8 straight to 2.4.10 which did not include the hardware utility update shown in the screen shot on page 12 of the manual you are referencing (in ver 2.4.9). 2.5.0 Beta, which Dan made availiable last weekend to the one's receiving their CCRs did include the change to the hardware utility so we could configure our CCRs.

Look forward to the next software release supporting the CCRs, which I hope is soon!

Thanks for the info.... No I didn't have 2.4.9 I was on 2.3.8 as you suggest I just "assumed" that I missed it since I went straight to 2.4.10. How do you get the beta that you refer to?

Thanks

C

LightORamaDan wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Will the RGB support allow for the combination of 3 existing controllers and the programming that is already in them?

If we do RGB programming now and then go to LOR S2 with RGB support will we loose all our programming if we want to take advantage of the RGB feature?

Paul,

I do not know the answer to that question but will get the answer shortly.

Dan

Before I got real serious about programming for the CCR I would want to know the answer to the above question.

It may not matter either way to some, but.......

If the answer is no to the question, then all programming done using multiple controllers for CCR will be lost changing over to the RGB controller when/if it is available.

Just sayin....

Cblood wrote:

Thanks for the info.... No I didn't have 2.4.9 I was on 2.3.8 as you suggest I just "assumed" that I missed it since I went straight to 2.4.10. How do you get the beta that you refer to?

Thanks

C

Post eleven in this thread, from Dan, last Friday gives that info.

Duke wrote:

Will the RGB software also work with the FireFly units?

It is supposed to work with all RGB devices which I am guessing could be the delay in the update.

JeffBlan wrote:

Just a quick question on this. I have the demo software but I was wondering if the "RGB support" is in the beta or is that something that is still being developed.

Yes I am sorry. I meant the beta software. Sorry for the confusion. I may play around with the LightShowPro demo to see how that works but I hope to see the LOR software.

I see version v2.5.2 has been released but I don't see any RGB support in the sequence editor. Is that still being developed and if so, when can we expect the software to be available?

I know I don't have to point out that it is almost November, but............... It is almost November:P.

Is there any reason for us to look for a LOR S2 release before November 1st that has RGB controller capabilities?

If yes or no, can the million dollar question be answered? Can a RGB setup using 3 controllers with existing lighting commands be merged into a RGB controller whenever it comes along?

Paul Roberson wrote:

I know I don't have to point out that it is almost November, but............... It is almost November:P.

Is there any reason for us to look for a LOR S2 release before November 1st that has RGB controller capabilities?

If yes or no, can the million dollar question be answered? Can a RGB setup using 3 controllers with existing lighting commands be merged into a RGB controller whenever it comes along?

Bump...looking for an answer.

Also posted in "How do you add the CCR...."

We decided that quick and dirty RGB support in the Sequence Editor was not the right way to proceed. The SE is undergoing a fairly dramatic restructuring to change channels into nested objects. The simplest object will be a current channel, so sequences will not look any different. A slightly more complex object is an RGB channel. This structure will make possible capabilities that Dan & I have been dreaming about for years.

Unfortunately, this change and more so the support load brought on by this time of year mean that this functionality will not be available for this Christmas.

We realize that this will result in extra effort for people and we are really sorry about that, but we think we are making the right decision for the long term. The macros and color effects in the CCR are an attempt to mitigate the inconvenience caused by our decision.

The macro and color effects in the CCR are just things I thought of and did. For us, Christmas starts in August and I felt that people had enough to do without spending time thinking about CCR firmware. (and also, there was no fussing about what to do for me to deal with) The layered internal structure of the CCR firmware makes the implementation of effects pretty easy. If people can agree on new effects (that are not crazy hard to implement) and would be useful to a lot of people, I will consider doing them now.

John, wow not surprised by your choices and support them, would have been nice to "have it all" but "all" is a big deal.... And going forward with time I know you guys will come up with the correct way to make it all function.

That said, I have a suggestion that I would like to see as a macro choice. you have already done it for the whole ribbon by allowing us to chase from one end to the other or from the center to each end and back, but this is utilizing the entire ribbon as one pixel.... good but what if you gave another choice by dividing the ribbon into 2 pixel sections and still having those functions for each pixel space... This way I could utilize the first 25 pixels as one for a single arch and the second 25 pixels as a second single arch utilizing one controller. I hope that makes sense in a short description... Please let me know if it does not. This would give me most of the flexibility I need without having to program individual channels, just utilizing 2 sets of RGB channels and setting the Macro channels. Allowing me to only have to deal with RGB and Macro channels this year until you all get the "BIG ONE" finished.

Thoughts????

And thanks for the product, it is cool and even with the more complicated programming it is a great addition to the display.

Curt

Thank you for the answer.

Are there any plans for us to be able to combine 3 existing controllers into a RGB controller when it is available?

Cblood wrote:

John, wow not surprised by your choices and support them, would have been nice to "have it all" but "all" is a big deal.... And going forward with time I know you guys will come up with the correct way to make it all function.

That said, I have a suggestion that I would like to see as a macro choice. you have already done it for the whole ribbon by allowing us to chase from one end to the other or from the center to each end and back, but this is utilizing the entire ribbon as one pixel.... good but what if you gave another choice by dividing the ribbon into 2 pixel sections and still having those functions for each pixel space... This way I could utilize the first 25 pixels as one for a single arch and the second 25 pixels as a second single arch utilizing one controller. I hope that makes sense in a short description... Please let me know if it does not. This would give me most of the flexibility I need without having to program individual channels, just utilizing 2 sets of RGB channels and setting the Macro channels. Allowing me to only have to deal with RGB and Macro channels this year until you all get the "BIG ONE" finished.

Thoughts????

And thanks for the product, it is cool and even with the more complicated programming it is a great addition to the display.

Curt

I second this request. I've seen many users who are hoping to "split" the ribbon across two arches. Being able to have the macros work on two sections of the ribbon would mean I would not have to use 25 channels.

Just to be clear, I would like to specify if I want the macro to run on the 1st half, 2nd half or the entire ribbon. Does that make sense? I could then use the macro functions on each half independently using my 2 CCR's to make 4 arches.

If this is not possible, I will just plan on making the pixel resolution set to 25, control each pixel independently and not use the macros (unless I want to use some effects like random color on the entire ribbon).

No matter what the outcome, thanks for providing an update about the status of the software. It is nice to know that what we have is what we will have for this Christmas (unless some macros are added).

Jeff

JeffBlan wrote:

I second this request. I've seen many users who are hoping to "split" the ribbon across two arches. Being able to have the macros work on two sections of the ribbon would mean I would not have to use 25 channels.

Just to be clear, I would like to specify if I want the macro to run on the 1st half, 2nd half or the entire ribbon. Does that make sense? I could then use the macro functions on each half independently using my 2 CCR's to make 4 arches.

If this is not possible, I will just plan on making the pixel resolution set to 25, control each pixel independently and not use the macros (unless I want to use some effects like random color on the entire ribbon).

In order to have a split ribbon with separate control of the two sections a second set of effect channels would be needed. I'm not sure this is a good direction to go in. The ideas were to minimize the number of channels necessary to use the ribbon and support common decorating elements. We were thinking along the lines of effects for arches, poles, trees, windows, doors, maybe a star...

If the two sections were controlled by the same effect channels, it fits into our design, but is probably not what you want.

One request that several people have already made is a separately available controller. That would allow the ribbon to be cut into separately managed sections that could be more flexibly positioned. We have not thought about a price for this, but the CCR's cost is about 2/3 ribbon + 1/3 controller. Does this make more sense?

Hmmm, see your point and a second controller would work... but honestly it wouldn't bother me to have an additional 10 channels if it would give me the control over 2 halfs, for this year I'm onlly using 3 RGB channels and the efx channels so to add another 7 channels and 3 more RGB channels for the second half is not a big deal. And for those that have the units set to anything but 2 for resolutions the additions channels wouldn't mean anything they would have to bother with. Actually another reason is I don't need 16 foot arches they are to big, so if you all had made 8' CCR's with controllers I would have bought those.... Just trying to figure a way around not having to program all 150 channels to get where I need to go.

Just my 2 cents that would give me the control without additional costs, .... sorry know your in the business of making money.

Thanks for the response.

Curt

Hey CBlood

If I understand you correctly, I think the existing macro modes can do what you need. The fill from controller (1) would start on #1 arch and would not continue on to #2 if you stop at 50%. everything above 50% would work in #2. So this would appear to the viewer as independent operation while handled by a single macro.

The from center modes (3 & 4) would work great for a split ribbon too for opposite jumping. But if you want them to jump the same way you can flip one arch around. This would require a longer cable run between the cut ribbon segments.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

In order to have a split ribbon with separate control of the two sections a second set of effect channels would be needed. I'm not sure this is a good direction to go in. The ideas were to minimize the number of channels necessary to use the ribbon and support common decorating elements. We were thinking along the lines of effects for arches, poles, trees, windows, doors, maybe a star...

If the two sections were controlled by the same effect channels, it fits into our design, but is probably not what you want.

One request that several people have already made is a separately available controller. That would allow the ribbon to be cut into separately managed sections that could be more flexibly positioned. We have not thought about a price for this, but the CCR's cost is about 2/3 ribbon + 1/3 controller. Does this make more sense?

Yes I understand. I was hoping that maybe only 1 more channel would be needed. That channel would be used to identify which half the macro was controlling. It could be set to 1 for the first half, 2 for the second half, or 3 for both halves.

If that is not possible, yes you would have to have 7 new macro channels to cover each half. If that seems unrealistic then I see where a seperate controller would be useful here but obviously not in the cards for this season.

I think I can do what I want this year by manually controlling the ribbon. It just may take more time. I may limit what I decide to do this year though until the new software is available (hopefully in 2010:-).

I would like to stay with one set of effect channels. If I add a second, it's not a simple internal change. Also, I could not add it for Legacy mode users because it would consume another unit ID and potentially break stuff. People using other software would complain and want a option to enable it in legacy mode. I would need to modify the HWU and the manual would become even more arcane. I don't really like the double arch with one ribbon because either you cut the ribbon or twist it between two structures which are more than likely going to continuously flex relative to one another. Both of these things up the potential for physical damage and repair issues.

That having been said, with current effects, you could fill from controller to ribbon end and fill from ribbon end to controller to get continuous leaps. Ends to center and center to ends gives you opposite leaps in both directions. If I add effects that leap from end and center toward the controller and controller and center to end that covers the filled arch simultaneous leap.

Darryl Lambert sugested a background color. My interpretation of this is that when a pixel would be off because of a macro effect, it would take on this color instead. It would only be active when a macro effect is enabled. I think this is a good idea, but I would have to take the three remaining channels (158. 159 & 160) to do this.

Well, I read your comments a few times and I think it makes sense. Totally understand about legacy mode etc. Just trying to get by this year before you are able to finish the next upgrade to include the new set of tools.

Sounds like the added efx leap might be the ticket to get around what I was originally asking for. Sure worth a try and appreciate your willingness to figure a way to do this type of efx.

I understand Darryls request and it sounds good as well, why 3 more channels??? Am I correct in assuming that it would be the RGB for the Bgnd Colour?

Thanks again John, we all appreciate what you are doing to get around issues for this year while looking forward to everything that would complicate getting your software updated. Good coding day!!!!

Curt

I don't understand the three chanels either unless you were trying to create a user difined color because how would you separate the RGB you were using with your Macro from the one you are using in the background.

I was thinking of a background color effect channel, using the same values as the current one, plus a set for steady on. That could be used with the macros. So the pixels that are normally off with the macros now would be controlled by this background color effect .

Darryl

Darryl Lambert wrote:

I don't understand the three chanels either unless you were trying to create a user difined color because how would you separate the RGB you were using with your Macro from the one you are using in the background.

I was thinking of a background color effect channel, using the same values as the current one, plus a set for steady on. That could be used with the macros. So the pixels that are normally off with the macros now would be controlled by this background color effect .

Think of macro effects as placing a pattern over the ribbon. When you use RGB channels or a color effect to set the RGB channels you are setting the color(s) of the ribbon's pixels. If no macro effect is selected, the ribbon is simply the color(s) set by the RGB channels or the color(s) set by the color effect which is setting the RGB channels for you.

The macro effects expose these pixels in various patterns. Think of it as a moving stencil. Unexposed pixels are off when a macro effect is being used. If I take channels 158, 159 & 160 and make them the RGB channels for a background color, then when a macro effect is on, unexposed pixels would take on this color rather than being off. If you wanted a red chase on a white ribbon, you would set the regular RGB channels to 100% red, 0% green & blue and the backround RGB channels all to 100% to make white. What were formerly unexposed off pixels in the red chase would now be white.

I have to use additional channels for the background color because the RGB channels are used for the foreground color(s). I think my scheme is the most flexible way to implement what you want.

Using all three remaining channels will give ability to select any background color. But, the twinkle and dazzle don't have this option. They have just a few color options.

If you need to save channels for some future feature, I think a single channel with a named color option would work out.

I like the concept.... adds some further flexibility

Thanks John. Is this something you will actually be implementing??? If so how soon, I know, I Know, just that in the middle of programing and would be nice to have or not have it..... Would love to see everything under the sun happen tomorrow, at the same time I have to stay solid under some level of firmware at some point to finish programming for this year.

Thanks again!

Curt

After mulling it over a bit. What I sugested about the background color effect channel would probably need the other two channels that were left because I'm sure some people would like the ability to control those background effects independantly (ie. speed & intensity) from the foreground.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

If you need to save channels for some future feature, I think a single channel with a named color option would work out.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I just thought to add the dazzle and twinkle because some people would probably like that functionality as well.

I also understand the reluctance to assign those remaining channels and saving them for some future unthought of application.

That said. If you were to implement the RGB background colors would they truly be in the background? Meaning you could use the RGB channels as well as the macros and they would supercede the background. This would give you the most flexabilty (IMO).

Darryl