Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a second controller

repeterman

Help!

I cannot get my second controller to work.

Last year I bought a 16 ch controller & added another one. Followed the instructions but it appears both are working as one.

What do I need to do?

There both CTB16PC

Thanks

Mike

I have done that, but it seems not to respond.

The hardware utility shows only unit 2. Started playing around on the music and it will see 32 channels. But is this just show or is it real, meaning that if I put in 32 ch. but lets say it was 16 would it deny me to do so?

ok so I understand correctly...with both controllers on the data line and you refresh you only show found one controller and it is at address 02...if that is correct then it does sound like both controllers are at the same address. on the hardware utility the the left box shows found 1 unit and the right box shows address 02.

Now disconnect one unit so you only have the computer and ONE unit connected. Launch the hardware utility and on the left side of the hardware utiltiy near the bottom CHANGE EXISTING IS....select ANY unit under the OLD UNIT ID. and Under new unit ID put in the number you want this controller to be. Then click change unit ID button.

NOW do a refresh in the upper middle. Does it fined one unit at the address you just changed to? IF so, then connect both units and do a refresh. Does it show found 2 units and one is listed in the right box and you can use the pull down to see the other?

Ok that makes sense. Let me try that.

Did so and it is unable to locate unit.

I assume that I plug into the new unit and do this right? Also, the jumper does not need to be moved, right? cause its done electronicaly. When I do move the jumper it flashes fast and I see no control.

It's possible that the unit is set to a higher number than the Utility is searching for. Make sure that the MAX UNIT ID is set to maximum.

It has been selected to the max and will not see the unit. Chuck suggested a reset which I did & it still will not see the unit.

Weird thing is if I click on the console and turn on all lights it will turn on & off shimmer & twinkle. even the light on the controller says its connected.

Not sure what all has been tried.

With just controller A attached, which unit does the hardware utility see?

With just controller B attached, which unit does the hardware utility see?

With one controller on the comm line it returns as unit #2. With the second controller on the comm line and only that controller it comes back and says cannot find controller.

One controller seems to work find. The second controller we tried to do a scan of all available address and it is not discovered in the hardware utility. But yet he can control lights with this controller. Since it does not show it's address it will not reset the address. We have tried both as a new controller and exisiting controller. Tried under change address for exisiting controller by selecting ANY Unit as the old ID and then the desired ID on the new id and it comes back as a fail.

I suggested Mike contact support.

As I have thought about this further I have seen a thread over a year ago like this. But I cannot totally recall what Dan's solution was.

Chuck

By chance did you try resetting the controller by removing the jumper on the 18 pin header and powering up the board , then unplug the board and reinstall the jumper?

Here is what I just sent in another email;

The Red light is solid.

I plugged in the CAT 5 cable to the new controller (02) as a stand alone and when I try to program it, it will not see the controller & asked to check power & connections. I kept getting these error messages. When I try to Select Unit to Configure and hit refresh it shows 0 found.

After I sent you the email I did this;

For grins, I tried under Select Unit IDs, and clicked on Ignore Errors, Select New Unit ID as 02 and came back with not sure if it programmed. Then under Change Existing ID I selected Any Unit & New Unit ID of 02 & got the same message of not sure. Then under Console I could control either controller by selecting 01 or 02 lights. Twinkle & Shimmer both worked and Steady on.

Now, I made a quick 20 sec show set up for 32 channels with all 16 channels on unit 1 to come on for 2 sec then off for 2 sec, and on unit 2 to come on 2 sec when unit 1 was off and so on. I also placed another show that I programmed for 16 channels. Ran them in the simple show builder and the 32 ch WORKED! but the 16 ch show did not. Went back to the Hardware Utility Page and went to check it again on Refresh & only found 1 unit. 01-CTB16PC Ver 4.32 & I am also running LOR v2.3.8 Advance.

So now I am totally confused. Is this working or not, I would think not & what about the 16 channel show not working. I would think the 16 channel show would work fine. At one point (yesterday) I did a upgrade of the firmware using CTB16PC_V4-32.lhx.

Mike

Mike,

Did you do the firmware update on both controllers? It may be a possibility that the update did not work correctly.

Do you now know which unit is controller 1?

Was the 16 channel show for controller 1 or 2?

Chuck