Light-O-Rama Forums

Orbit box water testing

Guest guest

Ya, I'll try that for sure. One thing I noticed on the boxes and what triggered all of this is that when you look down from the top, the left and right sides of the box seem much tighter obviously. On the left you have the hinge and the right, the clamp. The middle just appeared to be less compressed.

Like I said, i'll try putting some paper towel in there and seeing if I see water on it without opening the box.

Thanks for the idea.

I too think you are getting a gasket drip when the box is being opened. Also-If you remove the inter box guts, the board will sit further back into the box. That amount of a drip would not concern me based on your test of direct water onto the box. When you mount them on the post, put them at the top of the post so that you can slip a heavy duty black trash bag over the post and box. Make sure that all cords exit to the bottom of the box to prevent water from traveling down the cords into the box. From what I has said above, you should not have any water issues. Good luck.

llbarnes wrote:

One thing I noticed on the boxes and what triggered all of this is that when you look down from the top, the left and right sides of the box seem much tighter obviously. On the left you have the hinge and the right, the clamp. The middle just appeared to be less compressed.

They may have a problem with the mold for the box. Not sure how easy the gasket may pull out, but if it is not seating properly and you could pull it out. Place a small spacer under the gasket to push it out a little more. Maybe a small rope or toothpick would do the trick. Not every box may have a problem, but should be something to check out.

Ya, I tried that last night but the foam seal won't budge. Wish there was a clamp for the top. Any word on Dan's boxes yet? I may just hold onto these until last minute and return them if Dan's are better/cheaper.

Thanks

llbarnes wrote:

Ya, I tried that last night but the foam seal won't budge. Wish there was a clamp for the top. Any word on Dan's boxes yet? I may just hold onto these until last minute and return them if Dan's are better/cheaper.
I will send an email out to the people "working" on the enclosures and see if I can get a status.

Well from observing the photos I think there might be a solution. First remove the panel on the inside. That will get the cards back in the box where they belong. Then when mounting the boxes tilt them forward slightly. This will allow any water that may get in the box to collect in the bottom of the lid and not on the card.

Seeing the one photo that there were just a couple of drops inside and the fact that there were several drops on the gasket leads me to believe that the water dropped as the box was opened and did not leak in as believed. However, It is important to to believe that any box you use may leak and plan accordingly.

Just a thought (and as this is my 1st year playing with these, take it for what it's worth), but it seems to me, a strip of ducttape that covers the top, and goes down 2-3 inches on each side would take care of the problem. With the exception of the MP3 cards, once these are mounted and tested, they shouldn't need to be opened very often.

You have a very good idea there that has crossed the mind for sure. I'll probably do this. Did Dan present any preliminary pricing for his manufactured boxes yet?

Thanks

llbarnes wrote:

You have a very good idea there that has crossed the mind for sure. I'll probably do this. Did Dan present any preliminary pricing for his manufactured boxes yet?
I have not presented preliminary pricing. Although I am a bit frustrated by the pace this particular project is taking I hope that in the end that we will all be happy with the results.

Dan,

Is there any reason to belive we wouldnt be? we waited for the sale, we can wait for some boxes. :waycool::laughing: . by the way, i hope i never have to transfer LOR again, what a pain to go in and transfer all the files and re assign the audio file..., but hey at least it wouldnt stop in the middle of my show this year...