Light-O-Rama Forums

Appalachian snowfall

musicman130

Thanks for the share, this one has been simmering on my back burner for the last three years. Like what you did with the fans and light poles.

I'm glad someone else is as artistically challenged in the animation window as I am.

Nice Job with the pole effects and arches. It was difficult to tell the fan effects due to the animation, although your timings were tight throughout.

Thanks for everyone that has commented so far. This is one of my favorite songs for the year I believe.

I am VERY ANAL on timings, probably due to being a music person. I have a music education degree so if it is off it drives me nuts.

Yes, I can't draw, I am AWEFUL, but it gives me a little bit of a view of what it's going to look at. The fan is bad, but I couldn't figure out how else to draw it. What I should do is make the whole screen bigger, but then I'd have to redraw EVERYTHING. Don't know if I like that idea at all.

Each year I just expand my window to add new elements in. They don't fit exactly where they are in the display but give me a good idea of what they are going to do.

I can send you a sequence to see how I made my fan if you want. PM me your email.

Okay. I'd really like to take a look (you live in my city, I'm fairly new at this, gotta check out "the competition"), but at the risk of sounding dumb, where do I get the sound file? When I try to play your sequence, S2 tells me it can't find the .wav file. This makes perfect sense, but I'm a little lost at how to solve it.

Any help?

Cray

Cray Augsburg wrote:

where do I get the sound file?

Any help?

Cray

You need to have your own copy of the songs. Most people on here will share there sequences, but you are required to have the mp3 or wav of it for copyright infringements. Me personally, I am 50/50 on these issue. Hope this helps. Someone may PM you...

Thanks for the reply, Charles.

I am OK with having to get the file elsewhere, but it occurs to me that I need to find the exact version referenced. So . . . I guess it would be easier if there were a link to the specific .wav or MP3 file. (Why do I always have to have it the easy way?) Or is there a way to get the info from the original posted message? Or is this referenced to a previous message I missed?:?

Being a newbie, I sometimes feel like I am missing some of the info. Maybe in a few years (and several new controllers later), the pieces will fit better. In the meantime, I'll just keep plugging away.:P

Thanks again.

Cray

Much appreciate the reply, Rob.

Been using computers for nearly 32 years, and still my son makes 'em do things I never thought they could do.:?

I dl'd the sound from another lightorama video on Youtube, pulled it in and your sequence came up just fine.

It's hard for me to know what all effects you have in the animator, but the tree, arches and pole were fairly obvious. To answer your original question, the timings were on the mark!:)

I'm working a sequence of Carol of the Bells by Celtic Woman. Near the end are two or three subtle tempo changes. Of course Beat Wizard didn't "catch" them, so now I'm going crazy (or have I already gone) dragging things around. I, too, am extremely anal about such things -- the lights and music should precisely coincide. (Thunder Over Louisville drives me nuts!:()

Thanks again.

Cray

It's a copyright issue, but yes, it would be great if the person providing the sequence identified the sound file as to what artist/album/etc. so the timing would match.

I've been buying CD's with the music for the sequences I'm using. I've noticed a lot of times the timings are off, because the sequence was done to a different album, even if it's the same artist.

Yeah, I know; I can download the music from legal sources. However, i'm that dreaded person for my employer responsible for DMCA compliance. Having the CD in hand with all its cover arts, copyright notices, duplication warnings, etc. will give me a little more credence than a "I downloaded it from iTunes" if I get fingered by the RIAA. I don't want to be pointed out as a "do as I say, not as I do" person.

Yes, Jack, I like to have a legal copy (ie; a physical CD) of anything I rip/slash/burn or whatever. I'm really not paranoid (really . . . I mean really!), but I figure Big Brother is gonna know somehow if I bootleg something. Did I mention that I'm not paranoid?

Cray "just because you're paranoid does not mean they're NOT out to get you!":D

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Yes, Jack, I like to have a legal copy (ie; a physical CD) of anything I rip/slash/burn or whatever. I'm really not paranoid (really . . . I mean really!), but I figure Big Brother is gonna know somehow if I bootleg something. Did I mention that I'm not paranoid?

Cray "just because you're paranoid does not mean they're NOT out to get you!":D

I AM paranoid because they ARE out to get me.

If the RIAA had their way, it'd be illegal to rip music from a CD for use on an MP3 player/light show/etc. They constantly say that purchasing the CD gives you the license to use it in that format only. Fortunately, the US Supreme Court and appellate courts have said copying to another format for personal use is legal.

They tried to pressure my company into becoming their enforcement arm "because all the other carriers and ISPs are doing it for us" - they told that to all the carriers and ISPs. Fell flat on its face. I told my bosses that was pushing it too far, and our legal staff agreed.

By the way, did you know that the MP3 format isn't a freely available format? It's a licensed format, but the license owner lets everyone use it relatively freelly.

Forgive me. While I make light of the subject, I do understand its weight. And I know the RIAA functions in a similar way to the "red scare" people. :D

I did NOT know that MP3 was as you say. I certainly am thankful to the license owner for freely sharing it with the rest of us.:)

Cray