Light-O-Rama Forums

When do you put your halloween decorations out?

toddmoon

I am curious about when do most folks put there Halloween decorations out.

Do you only run your light show on Halloween night or if you run your light show longer when do you start and when do you end the show?

I set up the lights and show about 2 weeks before Halloween. I only run the fog the night of. I take down all the yard elements once the trick or treaters are done. I don't want to take the risk of someone breaking up the various tombstones and stuff.

We take vacation the first week of October to get everything up and running. Then we run the entire show for the whole month.

Then on the nights of the 24th (when we have a party) and Halloween we put out all of the expensive props that aren't necessarily weatherproof and fire up the fog machines.

Some friends have mentioned that it might be early, but no neighbors have ever had a problem with it. (Some of the kids actually start asking for it in August!)

I don't see it as any different than putting up X-mas decorations the day after Thanksgiving.

Last year we fired up on the 10th. I'm hoping to be running by the 3rd this year.

Since Halloween falls on a weekend again this year, we'll probably bring a most of decorations in that night after the show ends.

I put my Halloween lights up by the end of September but I dont run my display until 2 weeks before Halloween then I take all of my Halloween down November 1st and put up Christmas lights at the same time.

Although people look at me crazy putting Christmas lights up so early they also look at me with envy when they are putting up their lights in December and its 20 degrees outside. I cant resist setting outside with hot chocolate and watching them :P

That is just so me. I live at an altitude of 6100 feet so it can snow pretty much any time after August. Early November is usually pretty nice weather and that is when I put my Christmas lights out. I do not fire them up until Thanksgiving night. When it is cold outside and everyone else is freezing putting there lights out I am inside nice and warm enjoying my lights.

Jeff Millard wrote:

I now know I live in an enthusiastic, motivated decorating community... On the way home from the campground tonight we see that there are Haloween decorations up all over the place!

Jeff

My kind of town :)

the stores put it out earliy so we should set it up earliy i will start the 1st but have the show running the second week I hope. an this year I'm starting Xmas right after Halloween nov to jan7th. good lucky everyone!

you mean they're not out all the time??? lol!
I'm in stage 1 of my setup, all the house lights are up, next is the trees.
After a big party I'm throwing sat nite, I'll really start throwing stuff out the doors.
Oct 2nd is my opening night, hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm 13 and not as experienced as those on this forum so my display isn't great but I usually set up all my indoor window decorations 2 days before Halloween and in the early hours from about 7:00 I work hard getting all the outdoor stuff done ie, lights, props, fog machines, speakers etc.

:-)

i help at a haunted house in my area, and just found out last week that i will need to build an entire area this year, as we moved locations. we were in a walk thru 'dinosaur' park with plenty of natural theming & pathways. now we are building in the middle of a park!!! i am one of 3 areas and i need to cover about 3000sq ft, plus the maze/set up inside. hahahaha. does anyone know how to time travel? oh yeah, its gotta be up & running for opening night on oct15! so much for starting christmas early this year.

chip

Kathy and I will be putting stuff up at our grandson's elementary school the first weekend in Oct. More will get to see it there than at our house though we may put up a little here. Most of the school's stuff is for day light viewing, cutouts and signs, because BOE's budget will not allow lighting up. We have an old prop jail that we are using for the theme, "In Ghoul Suspension." We will take it down the day after Halloween and replace it with some Thanksgiving stuff.

I use a lot of stage fixtures, so since they're not water proof, our Halloween show goes up the day *OF* Halloween. ;) Controllers and waterproof fixtures may go out on the 30th, but usually it's all day-of stuff. All of the touchy equipment comes back into the garage after we shutdown that evening too. Some Halloweens I'm not sure how I get it all done in time.

Here's last year's show:

We get everything ready the week before Halloween. We only do some outdoor decorating that week. The leaves are usually falling and can quickly hide stuff so we wait until the day before to setup. Then final prep is done Halloween day. Then the day after is cleanup.:shock:
Lots of work for one day!

Halloween gets everyone in the neighborhood talking about Christmas:)